It's not easy to find a Panasonic FZ5 in stock.

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 17, 2005 10:18:09 PM

The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy right
now. Sales must be remarkable.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:21:13 AM

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in

> The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy
> right now. Sales must be remarkable.

Something happened. The FZ5 wasn't released as planned on April 10th.
Even the Panasonic website says ship date is expected to be 30 May 2005.

I called, but the woman who talked to me either didn't know or couldn't
relay it very well. A bit of a language barrier there. I ended the call
not knowing why they aren't out, yet.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

"Eric Babula" <ebabula@care2.coom> wrote in message
> "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is
>> busy
>> right now. Sales must be remarkable.
>
> Something happened. The FZ5 wasn't released as planned on April
> 10th.
> Even the Panasonic website says ship date is expected to be 30 May
> 2005.

Some over at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
have FZ5's, so yes it was released.
April 18, 2005 5:01:12 AM

"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in news:79adnQ4fpvD_nv7fRVn-
gg@giganews.com:

> "Eric Babula" <ebabula@care2.coom> wrote in message
>> "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in
>>
>>> The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is
>>> busy
>>> right now. Sales must be remarkable.
>>
>> Something happened. The FZ5 wasn't released as planned on April
>> 10th.
>> Even the Panasonic website says ship date is expected to be 30 May
>> 2005.
>
> Some over at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
> have FZ5's, so yes it was released.

I think it was released outside the US. Maybe it was in the US for a bit
- I'm not sure. Doesn't seem to be, anymore.

I was watching for this one. I was thinking of buying it on
butterflyphoto.com. They showed that it was in stock, and it was dropping
from $499.99 down to $429.99, with no shipping charge. Suddenly, there
was a shipping charge. Then, the price went back up to $449.99. Then, the
price went back up to $499.99 plus shipping. Then, it was "Not In Stock".
I looked at a bunch of other sites, and they all said "Not In Stock",
too. Don't know what happened. But, it was a very quick (maybe 3 days)
change from in stock to not in stock. Could all of these sites have sold
out all their FZ5s in a matter of days? Possible, but I kinda doubt it -
especially since the Panasonic website has changed their shipping date to
30 May, 2005.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Charles Schuler wrote:

>The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy right
>now. Sales must be remarkable.

Hi,
FZ5? For size? Why not FZ20?
I like my 20.
Tony
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:51:29 AM

"Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Charles Schuler wrote:
>
> >The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy
right
> >now. Sales must be remarkable.
> >

> Hi,
> FZ5? For size? Why not FZ20?
> I like my 20.
> Tony

Lotsa luck finding a FZ20k.
There isn't a REPUTABLE seller with one in stock.
Guess I'll just have to be patient for a couple or three more weeks....
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:52:33 AM

> http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pro...
> uctId=13247555&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

Now, I see that buydig.com is listing that it's In Stock, too. You think
they're telling the truth, or is it a line of BS?

I just checked panasonic.com again, and now they're listing a ship date
of 01 June 2005. What's up with that? Why would Panasonic not have their
own camera in stock to be shipped next day???

No comprendo.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Tony Hwang wrote:
> Charles Schuler wrote:
>
>> The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy
>> right now. Sales must be remarkable.
>>

> Hi,
> FZ5? For size? Why not FZ20?
> I like my 20.
> Tony

Well, price may have some part in making that choice. Some of actually
don't have unlimited funds to indulge our hobbies. Professionals view
the price issue in a totally different light. To them, it is a matter
of spending money on good tools to make more money. To a hobbyist, it
often is a choice between a new camera and a trip to see Grandma.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Eric Babula wrote:
> "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in
>

>>http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pro...
>>uctId=13247555&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001
>>

> Now, I see that buydig.com is listing that it's In Stock, too. You think
> they're telling the truth, or is it a line of BS?
>
> I just checked panasonic.com again, and now they're listing a ship date
> of 01 June 2005. What's up with that? Why would Panasonic not have their
> own camera in stock to be shipped next day???
>
> No comprendo.

Perhaps they have 50,000 of them on a ship which is just leaving the
harbor where the camera are assembled....

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:55:42 PM

Tony Hwang wrote:
> Charles Schuler wrote:
>
>> The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy
>> right now. Sales must be remarkable.
>>

> Hi,
> FZ5? For size? Why not FZ20?
> I like my 20.
> Tony

That was precisely why I chose the FZ5 over my wife's FZ20. Size, bulk,
weight etc. The capabilities are the same as the FZ20 with two
differences: the lens is only f/3.3 at full zoom rather than f/2.8 (with
fewer elements I recall), and there is no hot shoe. Apart from that -
same camera, same capabilities. No surprise the initial batch sold out so
quickly.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:52:51 PM

David J Taylor wrote:

>Tony Hwang wrote:
>

>>Charles Schuler wrote:
>>

>>>The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy
>>>right now. Sales must be remarkable.
>>>

>>Hi,
>>FZ5? For size? Why not FZ20?
>>I like my 20.
>>Tony
>>

>That was precisely why I chose the FZ5 over my wife's FZ20. Size, bulk,
>weight etc. The capabilities are the same as the FZ20 with two
>differences: the lens is only f/3.3 at full zoom

How much practical differene is there between a constant 2.8 and a
variable to 3.3?

>rather than f/2.8 (with
>fewer elements I recall), and there is no hot shoe.

For people that use a DSLR for real serious stuff but do not want to
drag all the stuff around then I cannot see that the lack of a hot shoe
is all that critical.

>Apart from that -
>same camera, same capabilities. No surprise the initial batch sold out so
>quickly.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:36:46 AM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in

> You must be on the wrong site This is from the Panasonic webstore.
>

> *DMC-FZ5K
> <http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vMo...
> d=88137&langId=-1&catalogId=13401&storeId=15001&catGroupId=24999&cacheP
> rogram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702>*

That just changed. Over the weekend, it still said Ship Date of 01 June
2005.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:08:29 PM

measekite wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
[]
> How much practical differene is there between a constant 2.8 and a
> variable to 3.3?

Very little at maximum zoom, according to the two test images I took.
Haven't compared barrel distortion at wide-angle, though.

David
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:09:48 PM

In article <Xns963BC4E33AFA8ebabulacare2com@24.94.170.98>,
Eric Babula <ebabula@care2.coom> wrote:

> "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy
> > right now. Sales must be remarkable.
> >

> Something happened. The FZ5 wasn't released as planned on April 10th.
> Even the Panasonic website says ship date is expected to be 30 May 2005.
>
> I called, but the woman who talked to me either didn't know or couldn't
> relay it very well. A bit of a language barrier there. I ended the call
> not knowing why they aren't out, yet.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage here in Nara - but if course,
they're made here. I'm very impressed with it and am saving my pennies
to get one.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 5:24:49 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:09:48 +0900, in rec.photo.digital RE: Re: It's
not easy to find a Panasonic FZ5 in stock. Stewy
<anyone4tennis@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <Xns963BC4E33AFA8ebabulacare2com@24.94.170.98>,
> Eric Babula <ebabula@care2.coom> wrote:
>
>> "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in
>>
>> > The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy
>> > right now. Sales must be remarkable.
>> >

>> Something happened. The FZ5 wasn't released as planned on April 10th.
>> Even the Panasonic website says ship date is expected to be 30 May 2005.
>>
>> I called, but the woman who talked to me either didn't know or couldn't
>> relay it very well. A bit of a language barrier there. I ended the call
>> not knowing why they aren't out, yet.
>
>There doesn't seem to be any shortage here in Nara - but if course,
>they're made here.

Is Nara in China?

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.
Anonymous

In article <Xns963BC4E33AFA8ebabulacare2com@24.94.170.98>,
Eric Babula <ebabula@care2.coom> wrote:
>"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy
>> right now. Sales must be remarkable.
>>

>Something happened. The FZ5 wasn't released as planned on April 10th.
>Even the Panasonic website says ship date is expected to be 30 May 2005.

Where do you see this?
When I add one to the cart it says "currently available"...

alan
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 7:27:12 PM

paleale@bolt.sonic.net (Alan Strassberg) wrote in
news:D 43k0s$dpe$1@bolt.sonic.net:

> In article <Xns963BC4E33AFA8ebabulacare2com@24.94.170.98>,
> Eric Babula <ebabula@care2.coom> wrote:
>>"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in
>>
>>> The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is
>>> busy right now. Sales must be remarkable.
>>>

>>Something happened. The FZ5 wasn't released as planned on April
>>10th. Even the Panasonic website says ship date is expected to be
>>30 May 2005.
>
> Where do you see this?
> When I add one to the cart it says "currently available"...
>
> alan

It is available, now. For a time on the Panasonic site it was listed as
Ship Date of 30 May 2005 (when you went to check out), and then changed
to 01 June 2005. Now, it seems to be available on the Panasonic website.

I'm not sure what happened. A number of sites seemed to show it
available just after April 10th. Then, suddenly, all of them changed
their sites to say "Not In Stock". Strange to me. But some sites seem to
have it in stock now, so all must be ok again.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

> To a hobbyist, it
> often is a choice between a new camera and a trip to see Grandma.

Sign me up for an EOS-1Ds Mk 2 *now*. ;)

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."
!