Sign in with
Your question

GTX 580 Aliasing Flicker

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2011 8:50:55 AM

Hi, I've recently bought a new computer with a 580 and I was very happy but I'm now noticing a lot of aliasing flicker in all games and I'm wondering if this is normal

It pretty much disappears if I stand still but when I move around I can gerernally see some to a lot of flickering jagged lines, especially in the distance and on things made out of lots of straight lines like fences

Here are screenshots of crysis 2 patch 1.9 dx11 max settings etc

Moving around
http://i.imgur.com/pPmbq.jpg

Stationary
http://i.imgur.com/ZmFUY.jpg

Notice the crates, bridge suspension and walls in the background. When playing its a lot more noticeable moving around as the jagged edges move quickly up and down the lines and never stay still

My screen is a TV and is 1366x768, I use 1360x768 resolution on PC/games, connection is midi hdmi - hdmi. Its a very good TV and does most things in its stride so i doubt this is the problem, hd movies look amazing

I've tried using 275.33 and 280.26 and also messing around with nvidia control panel forcing anti aliasing etc but nothing seemed get rid of the problem, wasn't very sure what setting would be good though

I've also tried fresh install of drivers using driver sweeper etc and reseating graphics card but nothing has helped

Any advice would be great, I assume this isn't just an inherent problem in games? It does do a similar thing in games on my Xbox 360 through component hd but I assumed my new computer could do better

Specs
Win 7 64bit
i5-2500k OC @ 4.5k
GTX 580 stock
Asus P8Z68-V
September 1, 2011 11:15:53 AM

have you turned on TrSSAA or Transparent SuperSampling anti-aliasing as it is also known?
Related resources
September 1, 2011 11:35:02 AM

Quote:
have you turned on TrSSAA or Transparent SuperSampling anti-aliasing as it is also known?

yeah no difference

will that article help me solve the problem or are you saying that it should be occuring?
September 1, 2011 11:58:38 AM

Well it helped me understand the nvidia setting but still nothing I try seems to reduce to problem much/at all
September 2, 2011 7:25:24 PM

Yeah, that just seems to be a "fault" of how the game renders those types of objects at a distance, I know it sounds a bit crappy but if it really bothers you you can try to turn the draw distance down and that may help. It appears worse at greater distances.
September 3, 2011 8:57:19 AM

yeah i heard crysis 2 doesn't have very good AA due to console port and most of the time/most games its only going a small bit, easy to ignore

Do you think a 1080p monitor would help, also tv is only 50hz and pc is outputting 60, I was wondering if the missing frames might be adding to the flickering effect
September 3, 2011 9:49:14 AM

dakarv said:
yeah i heard crysis 2 doesn't have very good AA due to console port and most of the time/most games its only going a small bit, easy to ignore

Do you think a 1080p monitor would help, also tv is only 50hz and pc is outputting 60, I was wondering if the missing frames might be adding to the flickering effect

A higher resolution such as 1920x1080 will definitely help the issue
!