Sign in with
Your question

New Commuy Manager

Last response: in Forum Feedback
January 5, 2010 4:58:39 PM

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce everyone to Joseph Pishgar, our new Community Manager. His main responsibility will be to do everything within in his power to make sure the Tom's communities remain a top-notch resource for information on the Internet. As such, he will be a primary moderator/administrator of the forum. He also will be coming up with ideas and methods to get the community more involved with the rest of the Tom's editorial content and looking into how we might integrate modern system such as facebook and twitter into the Tom's community.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. He will be watching this thread!

Thanks,
Justin Weber

More about : commuy manager

January 5, 2010 8:48:32 PM

I think educating the moderators in matters such as these would greatly increase the efficiency by which they do their duty.

I am sure there must be some way to implement them.
January 5, 2010 9:10:36 PM

Hi Joseph. Welcome. I would like to see a feature which allows a one click solution (Radial Button=New Post For Entire Forum) with the ability to display ALL the New post (posts I have not read) available to me (pesonally) on ALL the message boards the forum houses with that one click. The way it used to be during the precdeeding three and half years prior to the current situation.
Related resources
January 8, 2010 2:10:57 AM

Hmm... it's been 2 days, and still no response from CM?
January 8, 2010 1:17:47 PM

Actually, due to some permissions issues, it has changed to jpishgar. :) 

Hi there guys! I'm your new Community Manager! Thanks for all the suggestions above - I'll be making recommendations for forum upgrades on a continuing basis to ensure the community infrastructure is strong enough to support the growth we'd like to see.

If there is ever anything you need, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll do my level best to see that your voice is heard.

-jpishgar
January 8, 2010 1:47:28 PM

How's the campaign going in central Florida?
January 8, 2010 1:53:43 PM

Going great, thanks! I prefer to keep personal politics and professionalism separate though, but I do appreciate you asking. :) 

I noticed in another thread that you mentioned you had an interest in community as a discipline. I'd be very interested to hear your take on the strengths and weaknesses of the Tom's Hardware community at large. Do you Skype?
January 8, 2010 2:16:40 PM

Yeah, I'm the other guy they were debating for the position ;)  Maybe 2010 will be a good year for you and you'll win both your races.

I do have a few suggestions/observations.

1. Reunite the site staff with the forums. They seem to operate as wholly separate entities. It prevents a cohesion that should be a natural part of any network.

2. I know you're just on board for the US site but do what you can to help get the UK board in order or campaign to have it removed completely and merged into the US board (one board for English language).

3. Incentivize the Badges. Work with our ad partners to provide a small product relevant to the badge (silver and up). This will promote an interest from knowledgeable members to help everyone and our ad partners get to advertise their products even further.

4. Fix the points tracker. Sure it's superficial but the veteran members did get shafted pretty bad. I think it's only fair they be given proper dues.

5. Speaking of vets. They aren't too happy with the newbie techno-ignorant invasion. They'd like to see a better balance of in depth technical discussion and "My computer doesn't turn on, should I plug it in?"

6. When you click Online Users at the bottom of the index page, the profile box overlaps the "Hide Right Column" link.

7. No member index?

8. No forum leaders page?

9. Bring back the IP ban.

10. On Tom's Guides, let them know the Forum Map is blank and the badges aren't accurate.
January 8, 2010 2:44:26 PM

;)  One can hope!

1. This is definitely one of my goals. While I do plan to be the point person for the most part, the guy the community can go to and say, "Hey! Fix this!" or "We want such and such", getting the rest of the team involved and interacting is could certainly help promote engaging discourse.

2. One of my first actions as the new CM was to ask the mods what they thought about the current system, and this was a pretty common thread. Will investigate, but my spidey sense tells me there's more than meets the eye to having separate US/UK boards.

3. A discount, or free shipping would be totally cool. First things first though, need to get the badge distribution system under better management.

4. What's broken about it? I'm all about paying respects to community veterans. Vets are the backbone of any community worth its salt.

5. Maybe a "Stupid Questions" sticky for each tech-heavy forum to concentrate the n00bsauce?

6. 7. 8. 9. 10. Working on it!

January 8, 2010 3:13:28 PM

jpishgar said:
4. What's broken about it? I'm all about paying respects to community veterans. Vets are the backbone of any community worth its salt.

Look at one of the vets (badge) points...

He has 9772 post but 12,065 points... 1.23 points per post - The system gives you a minimum of 4 pts per post, so if you don't take into account his best answers, he should have at least 39,088 points. I've been here going on 1 year and 1,701 post but 8,702 points (as of this post)... 5.12 points per post.

When the new system was put in place, it gave the "vets" 0.3 points per post to try and keep the system even but made most, if not all, very upset. Here is a little post where you can get an idea of their feelings... New Member Listing?
January 8, 2010 4:13:10 PM

tecmo34 said:
Look at one of the vets (badge) points...

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae127/Tecmo34/Other%20PC%20pics/BadgesRanking.jpg

He has 9772 post but 12,065 points... 1.23 points per post - The system gives you a minimum of 4 pts per post, so if you don't take into account his best answers, he should have at least 39,088 points. I've been here going on 1 year and 1,701 post but 8,702 points (as of this post)... 5.12 points per post.

When the new system was put in place, it gave the "vets" 0.3 points per post to try and keep the system even but made most, if not all, very upset. Here is a little post where you can get an idea of their feelings... New Member Listing?

I was surptised by that comment too! I am awaiting my 39,088 points for time spent. Also, I am soon to become an Addict (then Pusher) instead of my soon to be rightful designation of Honorary Veteran of THGC.

1. 0 stranger
2. 25 newbie
3. 50 journeyman
4. 100 member
5. 200 enthusiast
6. 400 addict
7. 700 old hand
8. 1100 nimble knuckle
9. 1600 Honorary Poster
10. 2200 Faithful Poster
11. 2900 Ancient Poster
12. 3700 Eternal Poster
13. 4600 Forum Veteran
14. 5600 Forum Fixture
15. 6700 Forum Resident
16. 7900 Forum Master
17. 9200 Forum Gigolo
18. 10600 Honorary Veteran of THGC
]19. 12100 Honorary Fixture of THGC
20. 13700 Honorary Resident of THGC
21. 15400 Honorary Master of THGC
22. 17200 Honorary Gigolo of THGC
23. 19100 Honorary Guru of THGC
24. 30000 Master Historian of THGC
25. 45000 Master Gigolo of THGC
26. 62000 Master Guru of THGC
27. 80000 Master Wizard of THGC
28. 100000 Master Elder of THGC

January 8, 2010 6:16:57 PM

"Honorary Gigolo"? Really? Isn't like the same thing as a Prostitute Emeritus?

I'm thinking the points system isn't the only thing due for an update. :D 

Do you guys think the current titles fit, or would you prefer a sweeping change?
January 8, 2010 6:30:03 PM

This is our current titles:
  • less than 150 = Wannabe
  • 150-499 = Newbie
  • 500-1,499 = Scout
  • 1,500-4,999 = Regular
  • 5,000-14,999 = Addict
  • 15,000-49,999 = Veteran
  • 50,000-149,999 = Resident
  • 150,000 and more = Master

I think a few of the titles could be changed (Wannabe & Scout... mainly). I think the overall "point count" titles are better than the previous "post count" titles listed by badge. You might want to look to add maybe a few more between Addict to Veteran (badge likes Pusher... :D  ), Veteran to Resident and Resident to Master... maybe every 5,000 points?
    January 8, 2010 7:04:45 PM

I was a gigolo under the old system.
    January 8, 2010 7:35:42 PM

Enthusiast, Veteran, Fixture, Resident, Master, Guru, Wizard, Historian and Elder work for me.

Wannabe, Scout, Regular, Addict, Pusher, Veteran, Resident then to Master are lame. It's kind a like narrowly rising above Brittany Spears to go from a scout to a regular. Then moving ahead of Mariah Carey to become an addict.

+4
    Anonymous
    January 8, 2010 9:07:04 PM

I feel your pain Badge. I have 2003 posts and only 3439 points.
    January 8, 2010 9:38:50 PM

Tecmo, I believe you have some usertitles incorrect. That's what it used to be in 2008.

January 8, 2010 9:44:17 PM

badge said:
    Enthusiast, Veteran, Fixture, Resident, Master, Guru, Wizard, Historian and Elder work for me.

Wannabe, Scout, Regular, Addict, Pusher, Veteran, Resident then to Master are lame. It's kind a like narrowly rising above Brittany Spears to go from a scout to a regular. Then moving ahead of Mariah Carey to become an addict.

+4

Agreed to the above, and while Im not all convinced of the point system, it only screams as to how unimportant it is when they didnt give the highest, longest contributing their share of recognition, even within the systems minimums, which would be acceptable to most old timers here.

So, sending this "your previous contributions arent even worth the minimum system evaluation", along with the push to widen lessor informed content/questions, have left veterans here with no respect, nothing meaty as it pertains to higher learning/sharing, and a overall bitter taste in thier mouths
    January 8, 2010 10:05:53 PM

I actually saw that thread after I posted and figured that's where you got them from.

I'll come up with my own user title system and see what you guys think about it.
    January 9, 2010 2:51:09 AM

jpishgar said:
    1. This is definitely one of my goals. While I do plan to be the point person for the most part, the guy the community can go to and say, "Hey! Fix this!" or "We want such and such", getting the rest of the team involved and interacting is could certainly help promote engaging discourse.

I may be able to help you with that as I know quite a few of the staff here already, particularly the news team.
    January 10, 2010 1:51:25 PM

+1 for changing the title system.

Anyways, I also want the site to remove the "Ask your question about IT issues" on the main homepage. That thing leads to a LOT of REPEAT questions posted by people with out checking the Forum.

I also want a thread/sticky on the "Forum" section page titled "Read Before Posting" giving users the top down on Forum etiquette and HOW to ask questions correctly (ie listing their full system specs, and link to HOW TO ASK for new build help,etc).

January 10, 2010 1:56:11 PM

Also fix all these damn errors/warnings:

January 10, 2010 3:11:51 PM

Shadow703793 said:
    I also want a thread/sticky on the "Forum" section page titled "Read Before Posting" giving users the top down on Forum etiquette and HOW to ask questions correctly (ie listing their full system specs, and link to HOW TO ASK for new build help,etc).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4262868104_14f2c163cc_b.jpg

^+1... I like that concept :) 

You could link all of or majority of the stickies there, which provide majority of the how to's or information needed for a poster to get them their answers or the best method to ask questions. Also, maybe a thread on where to post what type of question where. I see many new build questions under the CPU section, when it should be under the Home Built section (as an example).
    January 11, 2010 12:11:32 PM

This is all great feedback so far!

What are the veteran thoughts on board consolidation? Any forums too weak on activity that you believe should be merged?
    January 11, 2010 5:12:54 PM

Depends what you mean by veteran...

I think there is alot of legacy components to this forum and that some, outside of the main hardware section probably could be streamlined a bit.. Having one place where people can see new posts can sometimes be better than 3 but then again it could also become confusing as to the purpose a section may then serve.
    January 11, 2010 6:19:12 PM

strangestranger said:
    Depends what you mean by veteran...

To me a vet is anyone with the 1970 start date under their profile. They are the ones who have been around the longest.
    January 11, 2010 9:04:46 PM

To start off with:

Get rid of Aopen, Chaintech, Epox, FIC, Soyo in the "Mother board & Memory" section. Those motherboard manufactures are DEAD.

Under the Graphics card section:
    Re name: "TV/Video Cards" to "TV Tuners".
    Get rid of: Matrox

Get rid of:
    "Toms Networking" under the "Network" section.

"Windows 95/98/ME" under "Software"
    January 11, 2010 10:04:28 PM

Get rid of matrox, what are you saying man.
    January 11, 2010 10:41:17 PM

strangestranger said:
    Get rid of matrox, what are you saying man.

I'll distract Ape, you find a hiding spot of Shadow.
    January 11, 2010 11:43:46 PM

Id be fearing for his life, Matrox stays
    January 12, 2010 12:55:35 AM

lol, Matrox perhaps should be combined? Also how about re naming it under "Workstation GPU"?
    January 12, 2010 1:25:07 AM

Shadow703793 said:
    lol, Matrox perhaps should be combined? Also how about re naming it under "Workstation GPU"?

Don't given in so quickly... TheGreatGrapeApe can't get to far in his little car, so you should be safe from him as long as you keep moving. :D 
    January 12, 2010 3:59:09 AM

Please get rid of the Kontera and Intellitxt ads.

There is nothing more irritating than trying to read something and those damn little ads pop up and block it.

It rates as high as biting you cheek while you are eating.
    January 12, 2010 3:41:53 PM

^ AdblockPlus + Fire Fox.

At any rate, THF should get rid of most of the annoting ads.
    January 12, 2010 3:52:10 PM

MOST IMPORTANT THING:

ADD an "Edit" button for the comment section
    January 12, 2010 9:46:08 PM

Shadow703793 said:
    ^ AdblockPlus + Fire Fox.

At any rate, THF should get rid of most of the annoting ads.

I think the ball would be in France's court in that regard. I don't see it happening.

Shadow703793 said:
    MOST IMPORTANT THING:

ADD an "Edit" button for the comment section

i don't see this happening either. There's actually reasons for not having an edit button.
    January 13, 2010 2:42:10 AM

Yeh, like taking back comments.
    January 13, 2010 9:52:35 AM

Welcome jpishgar.

As one of the more "responsible" users (gulp) I try hard to add a bit of humour to the forum ... often failing though.

Sometimes it is in short supply, particularly when a few individuals start getting stuck into others, and that includes attacking the moderators.

Your pretty lucky at present as the current crew of moderators are all experienced, patient, and are quite helpful and have a positive effect on the forums ... a fewmore wouldn't go astray ... as not all are conncected to the net 24/7 like JD and randomizer.

AFG might make a good mod ... having a female mod would certainly attract more women to the site / forums ... random could whip her into shape.

I would like you to consider IP bans for users who have repeatedly "ressurected" after being booted with a new username ... only to continue to annoy and harass others.

Most of the users with more than 1000 posts (prior to the changeover) are in general probably a bit hard done by with the recent change to the ranking system ... see Badge for more on this as he has made this a personal mission to offer you some improvements.

Consider TheVipers ideas for improvements as they are sound too, as are shadows, and strangestranger.

We (well me and SS) also miss the "Other" section - recently renamed "Old men / Women", then made invisible to the n00bs. The users who posted there were some of our best ... alas many moved on to semiaccurate as Charlie D offered to help us out.

Quite a few of the journo's (Hacks) have user accounts here at THG ...

I think it is still (check and let me know) ranked 2nd for techforums ... interesting if you could post some stats.

Anyway ... welcome ... hope you enjoy the new job.

Don and Chris are my current favourite contributing writers ...
    January 13, 2010 10:15:50 AM

Hmm, can we really trust someone who would nominate a 15 year old female convict for the role of moderator.
    January 13, 2010 10:16:03 AM

Speaking of Chris, if you could pressure him into selling me a few video cards from his stash that would also be nice. He won't listen to me :lol: 
    January 13, 2010 12:46:29 PM

amdfangirl said:
    Yeh, like taking back comments.

Not true. It's just like the Forums, you can have an OP post date/time with an edited time listed.
    January 13, 2010 1:38:51 PM

strangestranger said:
    Hmm, can we really trust someone who would nominate a 15 year old female convict for the role of moderator.

Your lack of social skills simply reinforces the validity of my original assertion.

Would you like to buy another card ... or fold SS?

:kaola: 
    January 13, 2010 8:20:59 PM

Just curious.

Are we making an Aussie THG yet?
    January 13, 2010 9:08:05 PM

I was warming the new guy up a bit first ... then I was going to stick that to him.

Foot in the door rather than door in the face ... but hey ... throw him the pitch AFG !!
    January 13, 2010 9:19:49 PM

Which pitch?

Aussie THG, me-mod or Low Power computing section?
    January 13, 2010 10:02:54 PM

Shadow703793 said:
    Not true. It's just like the Forums, you can have an OP post date/time with an edited time listed.

There's hardly room for that in the comments, unless it was formatted quite differently. You can actually edit your comments (not on Tom's Guide) if you know where they are :sol: 
    !