Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Only 2 Screws?

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2012 7:39:06 PM

After fixing my cpu, the hsf is missing 2 out 4 hsf to motherboard screws, I am getting the last two screws tonight, is it safe to run the computer with only the 2 screws, they are place diagonaly and I applied thermal paste and let it dry overnight. Will the cpu be fine for just today, and can I play graphic intensive games? Thanks :D 

More about : screws

Best solution

January 30, 2012 7:44:47 PM

agsolutely fine. ive done this many times. u could use some card to stop it touching the case. and you must ensure that the mobo doesnt touch the case. but besides that it shouldnt matter
January 30, 2012 7:45:32 PM

Best answer selected by johncatman.
Score
Related resources
January 30, 2012 7:45:40 PM

AlexJamesNewbie said:
agsolutely fine. ive done this many times. u could use some card to stop it touching the case. and you must ensure that the mobo doesnt touch the case. but besides that it shouldnt matter

Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2012 7:45:49 PM

Well in order for a heatsink to be effective it must make full contact with the CPU. You can still give it a try, as CPU's have thermal shutdown.
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2012 7:51:51 PM

I agree with CD. You can try it but really for best results the heatsink needs to make full contact with the CPU heat spreader. If it overheats though and gives you a thermal event shutdown don't run it until you get those screws in place.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2012 7:58:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!