CPU upgrade worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddykgb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hey guys, I need to pick your brains.

I'm thinking about upgrading my main rig. I don't do any gaming anymore, the main area I'd like to upgrade performance is video encoding/compressing for Blu-Ray rips.

I currently have the Core 2 Quad Q9400 and am considering either the Core-i3 2120 or the Core-i5 2300 (or something similar, haven't really locked down the exact model but trying to keep the price down as much as possible).

My question is what kind of performance increase can I expect with the new Mobo I'll obviously need and these processors? The RAM and HDD (SSD) will remain the same. I'll recoup some of my costs by ebaying my current processor and Mobo so would it be worth it?

Thanks everyone!

Solution
the i5 will be better if you want performance in single threaded applications but generally you won't notice it unless you are trying to do gaming or transcoding with things like itunes. Generally the 1100t will be better at transcoding.

If you have ddr3 ram then it will work but I think you should get new ram if you want to add more as you can get a set of 8-16 gb ram for the videos which will be great. Mixing old ram with new often just make the new ram slower.

if you only want to do video transcoding and want more performance gain, the FX8150 might give you some more performance but will cost more. Its probably not worth it over the 1100t or the i5 but here is the benchmarks if you want to consider. The FX is just ahead of the i7...

teddykgb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
How are the prices going to compare? Can anyone give me some sort of percentage decrease in time for an encode? Say for example that my current setup takes about 6 hours to encode a BR rip to MP4?

the i3 won't be giving you much performance over a q9400 especially in multitasking.

get at least an i5 for any significant gains. If you want performance gain in encoding and ripping, try to look at the phenom II x6 which rival the i7 for a lot cheaper which only really sacrifices gaming performance.

I have the P2 x6 I did a conversion of a blue ray to Iphone in about 42 min. I was using xilisoft HD Vidio Converter. Sooo not to bad.. This is just to compair. The i5 is a good way to go but I would go 2500k at the lowest or get software that supports cuda (your video card) to do the conversion.

Thent

teddykgb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Was that with Cuda? I currently have an ATI card so wouldn't have cuda, and from what I've read the quality isn't great using that. I'm interested in maintaining the highest quality possible while minimizing size as these rips are played on my HD projector set up.

Which x6 do you have?

teddykgb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Understood and thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. I guess I don't need it that screaming fast, would just like to improve substantially on the current times with my rig now.

Slightly? I'd say 55 seconds vs 72 seconds is pretty significant don't you think?

i7-2600K costs 2x as much as a i5-2500K? Reallly?
huh? wtf is with you? I said the i7 is almost 2x as expensive as the phenom II x6. i7 2600k- $325, 1090t - $180. is that incorrect? As for the results, check the other results using AC3 5.1 its pretty close. As for the mediashow espresso, the p2x6 is slower than the i7 but slightly faster than the i5.

teddykgb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Thank you all for the help guys. No need to get testy. Looks like the Microcenter by my house has the i5 for the same price as the 1100 ($179.99). Opinions due to the close benchmarks?

Also, I will need to get new RAM with the new Mobo correct?

the i5 will be better if you want performance in single threaded applications but generally you won't notice it unless you are trying to do gaming or transcoding with things like itunes. Generally the 1100t will be better at transcoding.

If you have ddr3 ram then it will work but I think you should get new ram if you want to add more as you can get a set of 8-16 gb ram for the videos which will be great. Mixing old ram with new often just make the new ram slower.

if you only want to do video transcoding and want more performance gain, the FX8150 might give you some more performance but will cost more. Its probably not worth it over the 1100t or the i5 but here is the benchmarks if you want to consider. The FX is just ahead of the i7 in the video benchmarks, the cpu isn't the best for anything else as you can clearly see.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/47155-amd-bulldozer-fx-8150-processor-review-11.html

Solution

teddykgb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hey guys,

well I ended up picking up the 2500k and a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Mobo. It looks like the mobo has some pretty cool features, but I'm fairly clueless on them. Anyone know of any guides or anything out there for maximizing my use of the Mobo?

teddykgb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Thank you I appreciate the link and I'll check it out.

I didn't ask my question very well, but are you aware of any guides around the Intel quicksync functions of these mobos? Seems like exactly the tool to really help what I'm trying to do but it's new to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.