Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Using a dell 65W charger for a inspiron E1705

Last response: in Components
Share
January 30, 2012 8:07:06 PM

Now, I know this is probably a noob question. But I wanted to know if the battery would charge on a Dell Inspiron E 1705 with a 65W at 19.5V charger from another dell laptop, the original charger is supposed to be 90W at 19.5V and we cant find it, i just fixed this computer (something spilled, presumably milk, and it hasn't turned on in two years, mom, let me have a crack at it, and will let me keep it if it works) and with the 65W charger in, it shows the charge light as on, but it wont turn on. Before i worked on it, as soon as the power button was pressed, the lights would immediately go out, and the charger would have to be unplugged in order to work again, now it wont turn on, but the charge light will stay on, and as will the adapter's light. Im sure this has to do with the low watt output for the charger, but will it charge the brand new battery we bought? after its confirmed its working we will either continue looking for the proper 90W charger or buy a new one altogether.
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2012 8:19:44 PM

Hi :) 

I own a lappy repair company...

The answer is no im afraid...

Dell lappys are very fussy on chargers....it NEEDS a 90w charger....even if you got it started it would tell you it knew it had the wrong charger and would NOT charge the battery...

Umm try this....

REMOVE battery....
PRESS power button down for one MINUTE
Do NOT replace battery
Connect charger....
Press button to try and start it...

If it doesnt work you have a major hardware fault (probably the motherboard - caused by the milk)




All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
January 30, 2012 8:46:58 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I own a lappy repair company...

The answer is no im afraid...

Dell lappys are very fussy on chargers....it NEEDS a 90w charger....even if you got it started it would tell you it knew it had the wrong charger and would NOT charge the battery...

Umm try this....

REMOVE battery....
PRESS power button down for one MINUTE
Do NOT replace battery
Connect charger....
Press button to try and start it...

If it doesnt work you have a major hardware fault (probably the motherboard - caused by the milk)




All the best Brett :) 


well, im further along that when i didn't work on it, what was on the motherboard was acid, and what appeared to be dried milk, and mold, i cleaned it up, put some hard as nails on any exposed copper on the PCB, and on the areas where the mold and acid were for good measure, let it dry overnight, and when i turn on the power button, the power flashes for a split second, and the charge light stays on throughout, wheras when i didnt work on it, all the lights would immediately shut off when the power was hit, so at this point i dont think its the motherboard, but i will try your suggestion.
m
0
l
!