OVerheating, is my processor bad?

umike90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hi, I have an Asus N70sv-B1 Notebook and am wondering if my processors have gone bad or something else has. What it most commonly does is freeze at random times forcing me to hard boot it. Also what happens is I've experienced hardware failures a couple times (blue screen of death) and gaming on my laptop used to be spectacular but now something has gone wrong causing games to run very slow on minimal graphics settings. I've downloaded SpeedFan and the temps are GPU 81C, Temp1 107C, Core 0 and 1 are 96C and the only "normal" temp is the HD0 at 43C. I have a couple more questions on top of that: What's causing this massive overheating? Is it the power supply? Is it my heatsink/fan? Is my mobo bad instead of my processors?

Specs:
- Intel Core 2 Dou P8700 Processor
- 4.0 GB DDR2 SDRAM
- 320 GB HDD / 7200 rpm
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M - 1.0 GB DDR2 VRAM
- Windows Vista 64-bit

umike90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Wish I would've known to keep the BSOD code I didn't know you could diagnose your computer with it until now :\ If it helps I do use a cooler so even if my cpu fan's aren't working this should lower the temp significantly shouldn't it? Although, it doesn't so I don't know.

amuffin i didn't remove the heatsink i just cleaned the dust out. Would it be beneficial to remove it and reapply new thermal paste?

You didn't answer Muffin. Did you take remove the heatsink at any time and if so did you re-apply thermal paste. Also download CPUID HW monitor and tell us what your temps are. Then go into a game and monitor the temps again and see if they go high.

umike90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Temperatures
-THRM at 103C

Intel MobileCore 2 Dou P8700
-Core0: 97C
-Core1: 99C

ST9320421AS
-Assembly: 44C
-Air Flow: 44C

Temps stayed the same pretty much when i went into a game.

umike90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Is there a guide on how to take off the heatsink and reapply thermal paste on here? And if I do it myself should I be worried about grounding myself as to not kill my computer?

umike90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Ok so my MX-2 thermal paste came in yesterday and I reapplied it but it doesn't seem to have made a difference that much (I've applied it 3 times and this 3rd time seemed to have made the biggest impact). I didn't use too much on the 3rd time, I over did it on the 2nd time and temps went to about 80-90C when I just browsed so I got rid of the paste asap when that happened. Temps are about 45-55C just browsing the web now and will probably be 80-90 under intense graphical games.

One reason I think it was hot BEFORE I reapplied it was because there was a very thick layer of thermal paste from the stock and the thermal pad covered the entire bottom of the heatsink. But the reason that it still might be overheating still is because I was getting angry after scrubing the pad for an hour with lighter fluid the pad still wouldn't come off and so I finally said screw it and scrapped it off.

...now there is scratches on the heatsink after the scraping yes, but there are no scratches in the middle where the heatsink makes direct contact with the thermal compound (the pad wasn't as thick in the middle where the original paste was so it successfully came off).

I'm just wondering what's still going wrong now?

Also, I was going to reapply paste to my graphics card but there's an entirely different heatsink for it and when i removed the graphics card from the motherboard there was layers and layers of *** connected to the graphics card and I didn't want to pull anything off my card that would harm it so I left it as it is right now. I also needed to remove the heatsink with the graphics card sanctimoniously because the heatsink is smooshed between all these layers.

I'm not sure if this is correct but my motherboard is an Asus f70 main board rev:2.0 (That's what it said on it).

umike90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Oh and one more thing: my heatsink fan doesn't seem to be working and when it does turn on it makes a lot of noise even when its spinning slowly. It looks like its caught on something or its just flat out broken but I do have a notebook cooler I'm using which keeps the airflow temps at 30-38C. So I think I should order a new one from Asus or something along with a new heatsink. And I'm questioning weather I need a new and better notebook cooler with one huge fan. I'm currently using a 'Notebook Cooler NC-820'. I ordered this on newegg along with my Asus N70sv.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
You don't need a new heatsink, just a new fan. A chilling pad isn't designed to handle heat dispersion if your main fans fail. They are nothing more than secondary cooling.

Also, this is how you PROPERLY remove thermal grease.

Step one: Get several coffee filters (nice ones)
Step two: Wipe excess grease off with coffee filters
Step three: Using 95/99% rubbing alcohol, damp the filters and rub out the remaining grease. Change areas of the filter and add more alcohol until eventually all the grease is gone from the heatsink and the processor.

A lint-free microfiber cloth can also help. NOT LIGHTER FLUID! ><;

Anyway, just order a new processor fan. Your PSU is probably fine, so no need to mess with that.

umike90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I used 91% isopropyl alcohol on the processor. The lighter fluid was a tip off someone to remove hard thermal paste off a heatsink.

Should a processor fan run loud like mine has before? I understand it may have been running loud before because my temps were 90-100 celcius before so it was probably getting overworked to the point of breaking.

Also, what is a very good laptop cooler I could purchase that'll keep airflow temps around 20 degrees or less?

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

That temp is dangerous to your CPU. Is the fan still working? if not replace it with a new one.

umike90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Yes I know. Since then I've dropped the processor temps by 50 degrees and about 20 degrees gaming.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I can't say I know of a great laptop chilling pad. I use a dual fan model and it works great. But again, they aren't a life saver, they are secondary cooling.

Your CPU fan will be audible when it is spinning up at max, but it shouldn't be 'loud'. Of course, we all have our own definitions of what loud is. On my C2D based laptop, the fan is incredibly quiet.