Graphics card (and maybe PC) problem...

G

Hello,

A few days ago I was getting the blue-screen-of-death quite regularly.

Upon opening my case the graphics card (Radeon 4890) felt incredibly hot (not sure how hot they're supposed to get). So, I took it out and blasted it with compressed air, got all the dust off it etc etc.

Now, my computer will not boot up at all, and the 4890 had 3 flashing lights on it:

D1601 - Red LED On, shows critical temperature fault

D1602 - Red LED On, shows External power connector A was removed

D1603 - Red LED On, shows External power connector B was removed

The card would start up, pause, lights would come on, then re-start ad infinitum.

It's as if the card wasn't getting any power, however I've checked the power leads many times (I'm no expert however)

I also tried a different card which wasn't powered by PCI-E, and had the same results (card would boot up, pause, then restart...)

I'm now at a loss as to what it could be!

PC specs:

Corsair Hydro H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition "125W Edition" 3.20GHz

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad-Crossfire 750W

Any help would be greatly appreciated

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try removing the card and blowing out any dust they may have gotten into the PCI-E slot itself. Then firmly re-install the video card and connect the external power connections. It is possible you have some crud in place keeping you from connecting the mobo and GPU (video card) properly.

While you are in the case, verify that the 24-pin and 4/8-pin power connections from the PSU and the motherboard are securely fastened as well.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS