12V Rail distribution for Xigmatek NRP-HC 1501

ser7ach

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hello,

I need your help for a power supply unit that I have purchased recently. It is a Xigmatek NRP-HC 1501.

I am willing to set up the connections for the PSU so that the power is distributed as balanced as possible. Based on that idea I need to use the CPU connector on Rail V2. The thing is, in the +12V Rail distribution table which is in the documentation, it says that the 4+4 pin 12V CPU connector is on the V2 Rail and 8 pin 12V CPU connector is on the V2, V3 Rail. I want to use the non-split 8 pin connector rather than the split 4+4 pin connector but cannot figure out what is meant by 8 pin connector is on the V2, V3 Rail. I would like to know which Rail the non-split 8 pin CPU connector is actually on. Maybe the PSU manages that between V2 and V3 Rails according to the load but I need to make sure.

Thank you.

Sertac TURKCUOGLU

Solution
The preferred connector is the 4+4 pin + 12V connector on the 12V2 rail.

The ATX12V spec specifies that the CPU should preferably obtain its power from a rail that is separate from the peripheral connectors. This is suppose to isolate the CPU from being starved of power.

ser7ach

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
No, the documentation says the 4+4 pin connector takes power from the V2 Rail, only from the V2. The "V2, V3" expression is for the one-piece 8-pin connector. And that is the one that I want to connect. But I don't know whether it takes power from Rail V2 or V3.

It gets power from both.
It's a big CWT inside, same as this Thermaltake
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-Toughpower-1500-W-Power-Supply/594/7

The 8 pin + 12V connector is wired to both the 12V2 and 12V3 rails.

There are some high end motherboards that will actually use both the 4+4 pin + 12V and the 8 pin + 12V connectors.

There are actually two 750W power supplies in tandem inside the Xigmatek NRP-HC1501. It's actually based on the CWT PUC platform 1500W model.

ser7ach

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thank you delluser1 and ko888, it makes sense that the 8-pin takes power from both the V2 and V3 rails. Let me ask one more question then.

I know that is an overkill but this power supply is actually for an ASUS P5N-T Deluxe with a Core 2 Quad and two GTX 480s (plus couple of other things). So, the mother board only has an 8-pin +12V socket(for the CPU) other than the 24-pin main socket.

In the motherboard documentation it says "use only either a 4-pin ATX12V or an 8-pin EPS +12V power plug for the EATX12V connector." In the PSU documentation it says "the 4+4 pin connector supports both dual and single CPU systems by simply combining(8-pin) or splitting(4-pinx2) the connectors." and "the 8-pin connector supports the latest 8 pin Quad Core system motherboards."

So regardless of which rail the 8-pin connector is on(we figured out that it is on both V2 and V3 in fact), I should use that one, right? Because the CPU is Quad Core.

Excuse me if I am being pedantic, but I just want to do it right.

The preferred connector is the 4+4 pin + 12V connector on the 12V2 rail.

The ATX12V spec specifies that the CPU should preferably obtain its power from a rail that is separate from the peripheral connectors. This is suppose to isolate the CPU from being starved of power.

Solution

ser7ach

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Ok, so should I prefer the 4+4 pin connector, or it doesn't really that matter? Actually, in terms of load, it will not matter whether the 4+4 pin or 8-pin is connected, because the 4+4 pin is on the V2 rail and the 8-pin is on both V2 and V3 rails(according to what we figured out) and the PSU delivers power to V1 and V4 rails from one of the 750 W supplies and to V2 and V3 rails from the other 750 W supply. So, the aforementioned connectors will both load the same 750 W supply. Those connectors are both seperate connectors by the way, they do not share any wiring.

12V2 is dedicated for the CPU. Use it as it's designed and intended to be used.

ser7ach

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Alright, since the V2 rail is dedicated for the CPU as you say, it will be wiser to use the 4+4 pin connector rather than the 8-pin.

Thank you ko888 and all the others..