Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba Laptop Screen Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2011 7:38:38 PM

Hello,

My Toshiba Satellite M305-S49052's screen suddently has two horizontal lines running across it. It happened right after I cleaned it yesterday. I thought maybe some cleaner dripped down, but it has been awhile and lines are still there. Any suggestions other than ordering new screen? And if so, is it simple to put new one in?
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 9:00:34 PM

Did you spray the cleaner on the screen, or on a rag?
m
l
September 8, 2011 1:19:04 PM

I sprayed the cleaner (windex) on a scott towel.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 1:25:54 PM

Does it happen from the moment you turn on the computer, or just in the OS? If it's all the time, you might have loosened a cable when you were cleaning it. You could check the cable connection on both ends (at the screen, and at the motherboard). The only other thing is you might have damaged the panel when cleaning it. Replacing a panel is extremely easy on most laptops. A dozen screws or such, and they just swap out. Usually there's two cables. One for video, and one for the backlight. Both are quick disconnects. Just remove yours, and eBay search the part number on it.
m
l
September 8, 2011 1:51:09 PM

Yea i would check take the screen apart and check the cables, if that doesnt work you might need to start looking for a screen replacement. If your looking to replace the screen take the screen apart and look the model number up on ebay or another place you wanna buy it from and buy the one that matches the model number. The Screen replacement usually range from 50 to 150 dollars maybe more if you have an expensive Toshiba
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 2:09:55 PM

cocopuff2u said:
Yea i would check take the screen apart and check the cables, if that doesnt work you might need to start looking for a screen replacement. If your looking to replace the screen take the screen apart and look the model number up on ebay or another place you wanna buy it from and buy the one that matches the model number. The Screen replacement usually range from 50 to 150 dollars maybe more if you have an expensive Toshiba

Sounds eerily similar to my post :-)
m
l
September 8, 2011 2:54:39 PM

sorry if i did, just trying to help a fellow desktop owner =)

also i didnt finish reading urs lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 3:32:21 PM

cocopuff2u said:
sorry if i did, just trying to help a fellow desktop owner =)

also i didnt finish reading urs lol

No problem. Good luck to the OP. If you need help, get back with us.
m
l
September 15, 2011 12:03:46 AM

mavroxur said:
Does it happen from the moment you turn on the computer, or just in the OS? If it's all the time, you might have loosened a cable when you were cleaning it. You could check the cable connection on both ends (at the screen, and at the motherboard). The only other thing is you might have damaged the panel when cleaning it. Replacing a panel is extremely easy on most laptops. A dozen screws or such, and they just swap out. Usually there's two cables. One for video, and one for the backlight. Both are quick disconnects. Just remove yours, and eBay search the part number on it.

Yes, it happens from the moment I turn on the computer. Is the panel the same thing as the screen?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2011 1:45:54 PM

Yes. Did you happen to check the cable connections?

m
l
August 13, 2012 2:41:33 PM

susanburns said:
Yes, it happens from the moment I turn on the computer. Is the panel the same thing as the screen?

Replace the LCD Power Inverter. They run about $10 on ebay. It is located behind the lcd bezel under the LCD screen. To remove the bezel take out the 4 screws covered with little rubber caps to hide them, then use a knife or screwdriver to carefully pry the bezel away from the cover. The inverter is a circuit board that is about 4-12" long and 1/2" wide. Unplug the connectors from both ends then pry it off since it is stuck on with double-sided tape. To install the new one, just plug it in and stick some tape on it to hold it in place. If that doesn't fix it then you need a new screen.
m
l
!