Sign in with
Your question

Purchasing new Motherboard will I need to purchase operating system

Last response: in Motherboards
December 2, 2012 2:21:34 PM

So I currently have an HP G5210uk -
and I want to upgrade my processor, but my motherboard a M2N68-LA (Narra6) only supports processors with a tdp of 95w. So I 'm thinking of just buying a new case and motherboard along with a processor, but I'm not sure if I need to buy a new operating system since I will be using the same hard drive.

Current Specs
Motherboard - M2N68-LA (Narra6)
Processor - Amd Athlon II X3 440
Ram - 4gb ddr3
GPU - GTX 550ti
HDD - 500gb

Any motherboard recommendations would also be welcome :) 
December 2, 2012 2:27:59 PM

Due to the fact that you'll be changing the graphics, processor and motherboard signatures, your Windows version will try to re-authenticate itself (if it manages to boot!), and will probably fail to do so: since you have an OEM version of Windows (it'll be looking for an HP signed BIOS), it'll tell you that you need to buy it anew - and at full price.
You can try calling Microsoft, you might get a discount, if you're really lucky; more likely, they'll redirect you to HP, who will tell you "your system's configuration isn't supported by HP" and that'll be all.
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2012 4:16:59 PM

If you are having issues with the operation of your motherboard, you may replace it --- but you cannot use the mobo replacement as a *slide-ways* upgrade. Essentially, the replacement mobo component should be of similar chipset as the original.

In your case, that would be an nVidia MCP61 chipset.

!