Bluetooth, Win XP SP2 and Belkin USB Adapter

Last response: in Technologies
January 2, 2005 2:02:50 PM

Greetings,

After doing some hardware upgrades to my home PC my Bluetooth setup stopped
working. Prior to installing SP2 on Win XP I had installed a Belkin USB BT
adapter and the Widcomm stack. This all worked fine. After upgrading to SP2
it still worked just fine although it appears that I was still using the
Widcomm stack and Belkin BT software.

In the process of doing some HW mods on my PC I had to remove the BT USB
adapter (and several other USB devices) from the PC. After reassembling the
PC Bluetooth started giving me troubles. First I noticed that there was a
new BT icon in the Windows task bar. Clicking on that icon gives me some
choices like Add a Bluetooth Device, etc.. The Belkin/Widcomm SW seemed to
no longer be operational as well. I did uninstall the Belkin SW and removed
the USB adapter using the hardware device manager.

Here's where it gets a little strange. I am able to send and receive objects
(like jpgs) to and from my Palm T3. I can discover and Pair with the T3 as
well as a Delorme Bluelogger BT GPS unit. Networking the Palm to the PC no
longer works and I cannot get by the Windows BT Networking wizard because it
can't find the T3 when searching for devices that support PAN. Additionally
the PC cannot discover my Motorola V551 yet when trying to send pics from
the V551 to the PC the V551 does discover the PC but the send fails for some
unknown reason. The V551 and T3 can discover each other just fine and send
and receive files. I can also Hot Sync the T3 to the PC.

So clearly something is not right. :)  I am wondering is whether or not there
is a way to load the Widcomm stack and Belkin SW instead of the Win XP SP2
stack? Or, is there a way to make the SP2 stack work better?

If you have any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate hearing about them

Thanks
TC
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:48:34 AM

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> After doing some hardware upgrades to my home PC my Bluetooth setup
> stopped working. Prior to installing SP2 on Win XP I had installed a
> Belkin USB BT adapter and the Widcomm stack. This all worked fine. After
> upgrading to SP2 it still worked just fine although it appears that I was
> still using the Widcomm stack and Belkin BT software.
>
> In the process of doing some HW mods on my PC I had to remove the BT USB
> adapter (and several other USB devices) from the PC. After reassembling
> the PC Bluetooth started giving me troubles. First I noticed that there
> was a new BT icon in the Windows task bar. Clicking on that icon gives me
> some choices like Add a Bluetooth Device, etc.. The Belkin/Widcomm SW
> seemed to no longer be operational as well. I did uninstall the Belkin SW
> and removed the USB adapter using the hardware device manager.
>
> Here's where it gets a little strange. I am able to send and receive
> objects (like jpgs) to and from my Palm T3. I can discover and Pair with
> the T3 as well as a Delorme Bluelogger BT GPS unit. Networking the Palm to
> the PC no longer works and I cannot get by the Windows BT Networking
> wizard because it can't find the T3 when searching for devices that
> support PAN. Additionally the PC cannot discover my Motorola V551 yet when
> trying to send pics from the V551 to the PC the V551 does discover the PC
> but the send fails for some unknown reason. The V551 and T3 can discover
> each other just fine and send and receive files. I can also Hot Sync the
> T3 to the PC.
>
> So clearly something is not right. :)  I am wondering is whether or not
> there is a way to load the Widcomm stack and Belkin SW instead of the Win
> XP SP2 stack? Or, is there a way to make the SP2 stack work better?
>
> If you have any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate hearing about them

Did a little more playing around and was able to find a document on the
Belkin site on installing the drivers under SP2. Unfortunately it was in
French but fortunately it had lots of pics! LOL It seems that to get this to
work you need to install the hardware under Win XP SP2 and then go into the
Device Manger and update the drivers for the USB Dongle. Instead of doing an
automatic search on the drivers you point it at the drivers from the install
CD.

Now most things are working again yet I am still having a problem with my T3
accessing the Internet through my PC. Everytime the T3 tries to connect the
PC reports that it is connecting to the Hot Sync service! Not sure why it's
doing that but will investigate further.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:48:21 PM

You can change the drivers at will. Check this first post on this thread:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=8&TopicId=...

--
Mauricio Freitas
MS MVP Mobile Devices