Asus Crosshair III Formula BIOS update.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I've had recent problems with my GPU(Black and grey vertical lines then reset) and after some research and a lot of attempts to fix it i came across a post that said BIOS updates could fix such problem, so i went to ASUS website and downloaded the latest BIOS files which was a ROM file and i read that u need a BIOS tool to install it, so i assumed it's the Afudos BIOS update tool V2.38 problem is i can't download it from their website it keeps giving me file not found.

Are there any alternative ways to update the BIOS?

Also i had another question when i look at my BIOS it says DRAM frequency target 1333mhz though i have 1600mhz rams, should i manually change that?

It's in BIOS, Tools menu, ASUS EZ Flash 2.
Set the BIOS settings to default before flashing the BIOS.
Save the unzipped file on a FAT formatted USB stick, provide the path and flash it. Make sure you download the right file and the power doesn't go off during the process.
For the RAMs, I would leave the speed as it is until solving the vertical lines issue.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Done exactly as you said and i checked the BIOS version and it was successfully updated from 1003 to 2003, i got a CPU Fan error(i used to get that when i had my CPU fan plugged in another fan socket) but all fans seems to be working fine.

I'll see if i keep getting vertical lines, if i am not should i change the RAMs speed? will it actually make any difference in the performance?

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

ATI 5770 and no it's not over heating (always 70s at most) and i have the latest 12.10 drivers.

Funny, is this you posting two years ago (just kidding)? http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-crashes-randomly-with-black-and-gray-lines.142088/

Maybe the issue started after a driver update. Try installing an older AMD driver (the one on the graphics card CD).

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
No it's not me but it's Funny becuase i have the same MOBO, Processor, HDD and GPU but my PSU is a Cougar 700CM and both of my rams are Kingston xtreme 4gb and also my GPU does not crash like that it only does it every while during gaming not when idle 1600mhz DDR3 :p. No i had the issue way before 12.10 i actually had my card clocked up to 940\1400 and it worked pretty well for a while but over time i had to keep turning it down though i never knew why it crash because it never ever heated up.

EDIT: Now i got this after hours of playing Far Cry 3(The card didn't overheat).

DSC00192.jpg

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I've cleaned all my drivers with driversweeper and re installed them, played hours of Far Cry 3 yesterday and BF3 today and didn't get anything yet(reset the clocks to factory settings as well though).