Components compatibility check - please help

alex_martin

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hello guys,
I am building my first PC and would be really thankful for an expert review of the components.
Please focus especially on compatibility of the individual components as I am not 100 % sure they will work together :)
The PC is intended for gaming only.
Thank you very much for your help.
Martin

My considered PC:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2
GPU: MSI V257-014R NVIDIA N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition
SSD: OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-120G Agility3 - 120GB SSD
HDD: None. I don’t need any; 120G SSD should be enough for system and couple of games.
RAM: G.Skill 8GBRL PC1600 (1600 MHz, 240-polig, 2x 4GB) DDR3-RAM
Optical: ASUS DRW-24B3LT/BLK/G/AS
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
Power: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650

g-unit1111

Titan
Not bad choices for the most part. Stay away from OCZ SSDs though - they're some of the fastest drives on the market, but they're nowhere near as reliable as some other brands. A better choice would be the Crucial M4. I do like that Noctua fan, I may have to look into it more.

I like the Zalman case, but if you want better selection, try the Cooler Master HAF 912, the Corsair Carbide 400R, and the Antec 300 Illusion.

Also for video cards, if you go the ATI/AMD route - try the XFX 6950 and the Sapphire 6950.

And for gaming, I'd pick the regular TX650 V2 over the Builder Series - the Builder Series isn't meant to power high-end video cards, has limited expandability, and is generally meant for low budget and HTPC builds. What's your end budget? I can probably whip up a good config pretty quickly.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
the 2500k doesn't need noctua. I propose the Corsair A70 for many reasons.
OCZ makes bad ssd? I am gonna lose my hair tonight! OCZ bought another company just to concentrate on making the best ssd, which they do, they are the top of the top. That being said, you can get the less pricey Crucial m4 128. Let's not spread misinformation here though. Popular doesn't mean better. It usually just means budget or bang for buck. Same with the Hyper 212. An absolutely mediocre heatsink for the masses, not the best out there by far.
I agree with the antec 300 illusion and the haf912
There is also no need to get the asus board. Currently Asrock offers more recent tech and same benefits with the extreme4 gen3 for less price, while gigabyte with the z68xp-ud3 offers almost identical features at amazing price (but it isn't recent tech)
If you plan on adding another 6950 along the way invest in a quality 850 psu. If not then what you got there is alright. Lepa/Enermax/Antec/OCZ also make very good PSUs that you perhaps will find at better price.