Sign in with
Your question

Crosshair iv formula, RAID mode, singl SSD not detected at W7 install

Last response: in Motherboards
December 2, 2012 9:08:41 PM

I've tried a million and one ways of installing windows 7 x64 to my new Samsung 840 SSD 250GB while my SATA ports are set to RAID mode (so I can add a HDD RAID5 array later).

I have tried loading the raid driver (both the one from ASUS site and newer AMD raid driver at different install attempts) during windows install. It will not see my SSD.

If the SATA ports are set to IDE or AHCI, windows will install to the SSD just fine (but then I can't use my RAID5 setup like I would like).

If SATA ports are set to RAID, I can see my RAID5 array with 3 1TB HDDs during the windows install after loading the RAID driver, but still not my SSD.

I am on version 2101 of my MB bios rom. My next step is to try flashing back to the 2002 bios rom and try that. There is no updated firmware for my SSD available right now.

I have also tried setting my SATA ports 1-4 to raid and 5-6 to ide. I can install windows 7 to SSD in port 5 and after it boots up I install the RAID driver. I don't want to leave my SSD in IDE mode for obvious reasons, and tried to do the registry hack to enable RAID in windows by changing the registry "start" value to "0" instead of "3" and that still doesn't work. When I put ports 5-6 back into raid mode or move the SATA cable for the SSD to one of the 1-4 ports still in RAID, windows won't but and I get the bsod until I set ports 5-6 back to ide mode.

There is no option for RAID on 1-4 and AHCI on 5-6. The RAID controller is suppose to support AHCI within the RAID mode. I have also tried leaving my SSD as a "single disk" and changing it to "RAID READY" in the option rom manager. Neither has worked as I would assume it should.

I've spent days of reading one thread after another and with every attempt I have made, I am coming to the conclusion that either the bios (option rom manager for raid) is not working right, or the firmware on this new 840 SSD is buggy.

Do you guys agree, or have any other solutions to try? I'm at my wits end here. Thanks for any insight offered.
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2012 9:41:32 PM

You should be able to load in AHCI with just the SSD, get windows squared away, load the raid driver, then switch bios to raid, set the hdd array and press on.
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2012 10:06:07 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, After setting the SSD in Option ROM as single, are you able to start the Windows install process on the SSD? If yes, try loading this driver ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/AMD/SATA/Floppy_Win7-64_Win...(3.2.1540.35).zip
during Windows install.

Thank you for the reply.
If I either set the SSD to "RAID READY" in Option ROM or completely remove the LD in Option ROM so the SSD shows up as single drive, I can start the windows install.
The problem, however is when I set the SATA ports to RAID mode, then when I get to the part of the windows 7 install where it should show the SSD to install to, it does not. I have tried loading several drivers (not your specific ones yet), but I have tried the RAID driver from the ASUS support site as well as the latest raid drivers from AMD for the SB850 chipset.

I'll give your drivers a go, but I doubt it will change anything. I'll let you know.

UPDATE: Don't worry, I didn't get my hopes up. Windows would not see my SSD after installing the drivers you offered up. Thanks anyway.

Other info:
My bios and Option ROM Utility both see my SSD. Windows 7 install sees every version of the driver I've used (because they are the right ones and should be compatible). Windows 7 install does see my RAID5 array (made of 3 1TB HDDs) after I install the raid driver. For one reason or another, it still won't see my SSD.

I still think it's an issue with the BIOS of my motherboard or the firmware on the SSD (no udpates available, I've checked).

I'm installing windows under AHCI mode again for the time being. Just won't be able to use my RAID5 or RAID0 setup like I would have liked. (don't worry, I have a USB 3.0 3TB HDD to back things up to)
m
l
December 2, 2012 10:10:02 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
You should be able to load in AHCI with just the SSD, get windows squared away, load the raid driver, then switch bios to raid, set the hdd array and press on.

This is actually one of the first things I tried. I set SATA ports 1-4 as AHCI and only connect the SSD to port 1. I can install windows 7 with no problems. I can force install the RAID driver, but to get it working, I have to do the registry hack, but that has failed me in every which way I have tried it.

For ahcix64s driver, "start" value set to "0" in registry instead of "3".
Another site recommended making iastorV "start" = "0" as well, but neither have worked.

Thanks for the reply, but this doesn't work for my setup.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2012 10:46:36 PM

Sorry man. I dunno where to go from where u r. Last weekend did this on wife's pc with ssd and then two hdd's in raid 1. No registry hack or anything. It just worked. :( 
m
l
December 2, 2012 10:59:18 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Sorry man. I dunno where to go from where u r. Last weekend did this on wife's pc with ssd and then two hdd's in raid 1. No registry hack or anything. It just worked. :( 

Yeah, this is why I think it is something to do with the firmware on the SSD (which is a very new model) or the MB bios, or the RAID drivers. I really believe I'm doing everything right, but obviously not getting results.

Might just have to forget about the RAID. :(  Really not what I want to do though.
m
l
December 10, 2012 3:57:21 PM

So, here's the deal. I've talked to Samsung numerous times and this is what I've been told. I hope this helps out some other poor guy before he becomes a Samsung Sucker.

Samsung claims that only the 840 PRO series will support raid in any form. THE 840 (NON-PRO) SERIES DOES NOT WORK WITH HARDWARE RAID IN ANY FORM.

Even though I do not want to put my Samsung 840 into a raid array, if I try to install the OS with with the SATA port set to raid mode, the 840 will fail to be seen my the OS install even with the raid driver.

Believe me when I say I've tried every possible solution. I've tried registry hacks, I've tried installing as AHCI or IDE and switching to raid, I've tried every port on my motherboard, and I've left no stone unturned. Granted, I've not tried any other OS other than Windows 7 x64, and I've only tried with the Asus Crosshair IV Formula MB.

Here's my solution:
After spending a week of trying every possible sequence and configuration, I finally gave into doing a software raid with windows 7. This is not what I wanted, nor what I would recommend, but for my purposes, it at least got me half way to where I want to be.

The reason I bought the standard 840 is because of the deal I got. I got a 250GB for 840 series for $140 brand new. The speed is not up there with the pro nor is the estimated longevity of the drive, but for the price and at the speed it does offer, it was a great deal.

My machine is running smooth, efficient, and responsive.

Conclusion:
I would go for the 840 PRO over the standard 840 if you are considering a hardware RAID at all on your system even if it does not include this SSD in the raid array. I'm almost certain this is a limitation set in the Firmware and could easily be changed by Samsung, but probably won't due to them trying to push the PRO series to those who want raid. They make more money this way of course.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 2:26:16 AM

Man, think someone at Samsung is misinformed or I just got lucky. The SSD in wife's PC is a Samsung 840 (non-pro) and like I said early in the post it's running next to a raid 1 HDD mirror. The mobo is Intel chipset on an Asus P7P55 LX. Installed without issue.

Sorry to hear you've had such a hassle.
m
l
December 11, 2012 3:16:38 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
Man, think someone at Samsung is misinformed or I just got lucky. The SSD in wife's PC is a Samsung 840 (non-pro) and like I said early in the post it's running next to a raid 1 HDD mirror. The mobo is Intel chipset on an Asus P7P55 LX. Installed without issue.

Sorry to hear you've had such a hassle.

So, to be absolutely clear before I call Samsung back and B!^ch out tech support (not many guys running tech support for SSD's apparently as I got the same guy twice in one day), you're saying that you've got a hardware raid running on the same set of SATA ports that your 840 SSD is plugged into and the port the SSD is plugged into is also set to RAID mode and you had to use a raid driver when installing windows? If this is correct, then I will be speaking with Samsung's SSD tech support again. I hate spending so much time just to be given the run around and not taken seriously. The more informed I am the next time I call, the better I will be at getting someone to use half a brain to help solve my problem.

Sorry for not understanding you the first time. You didn't say it was an 840 (non-pro) like mine. I knew most SSD's worked in the setup, but couldn't find anyone that specifically had an 840 they had tried this with.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 4:14:55 PM

Correct in your first paragraph. All three drives are on the same SATA controller set to RAID (Intel ICH9R or ICH10R - can't recall). The HDDs are in a mirror and the 840 is a just a non-member drive.

I disconnected the HDDs, connected SSD, booted to CD and installed Win7 (and Intel RST), got it all squared away, powered down and reconnected HDDs right back to the ports they came off of, booted back into windows, and fixed the drive letters. Did have to select the SSD as the boot drive in BIOS tho once the array came back up.

Could be an AMD controller thing. Tried installing an Intel 320 on an nVidia 650 chipset and it simply would not recognize the SSD.
m
l
August 13, 2013 5:58:06 AM

I'm glad I'm not alone out there... I've been trying to install Windows 8 on a Samsung SSD PRO using Raid Mode on an ASROCK MB with AMD chipset, and I consistently get BSOD during install. I can install Win8 easily with IDE mode, but I too wish to utilize RAID for my secondary drives. eg, Windows install on Primary SSD and Two additional HDD mirrored for storage. I also did not feel the need to buy Win8 Pro, so no software RAID option is available thinking that I'd simply use the hardware controller on the MB. This has turned out to be a fiasco. What is troubling is that I do have the Samsung 840 Pro and still have the problem you mention above, so clearly there is something else going on here. I realize this thread is somewhat dated, but I'd love to hear if anyone else has been successful, and how!
m
l
!