New General Use Build - Good Luck Trying to Answer

TheRandomWookie

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
My sis is going to college next year and we need to get her a new computer. Her friend recommended to get a desktop instead of a laptop, so thats what we'll do. There's one problem... she wants a hackintosh. =S

Approximate Purchase Date: couple monthes

Budget Range: As cheap as possible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Lots of Office, web surfing, general use.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Anything to make it as cheap as possible without sucking. AMD processor, integrated or cheap graphics, MUST BE COMPATIBLE WITH MAC OSX

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: N/A monitor recommendations would be great, don't need anything spectacular

Additional Comments: MUST RUN MAC OSX, very cheap, preferably quiet

Solution
If you are going with AMD I would likely pick a motherboard based on the 800 or 900 series chipset. Before buying one though check to see if the network and sound cards for those devices are supported on the osx86 forums. With that done you can pick a processor, Hard Drive, and some memory for it along with buying either a dvd-rw or blu-ray drive (super-multi or burner). The last part to check for drivers for would be a video card best bet would likely be a supported Nvidia or ATI HD5 or 6 series graphics card, but again check the forums for driver support.

When you get your parts and first start your computer go into the BIOS and set the Sata ports to AHCI OR RAID not EIDE Mac OSX does not understand IDE MODE.

I hope this will help...

caqde

Distinguished
If you are going with AMD I would likely pick a motherboard based on the 800 or 900 series chipset. Before buying one though check to see if the network and sound cards for those devices are supported on the osx86 forums. With that done you can pick a processor, Hard Drive, and some memory for it along with buying either a dvd-rw or blu-ray drive (super-multi or burner). The last part to check for drivers for would be a video card best bet would likely be a supported Nvidia or ATI HD5 or 6 series graphics card, but again check the forums for driver support.

When you get your parts and first start your computer go into the BIOS and set the Sata ports to AHCI OR RAID not EIDE Mac OSX does not understand IDE MODE.

I hope this will help you in picking your parts out.

Link to the OSX86 forums -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

Solution

caqde

Distinguished
Outlander the issue is not the AMD CPU it is the drivers for the rest of the hardware. Go to the website I linked to on my last post and educate yourself a bit. You will be suprised at what you find.

As far as Intel based computers go even a PC based off of all Intel hardware can run into issues unless you find a board that uses the exact same components used inside an Intel based Macontosh. This includes the Network card, Audio cards, and other components on a motherboard as such finding a motherboard that will work well can be a bit of a hunt, but thanks to the work of those on the OSX86 forums that hardware list is a bit bigger than it would be using a basic MAC OSX disk from Apple as they have made drivers and utilities to get a larger amount of hardware to work than what would normally be possible.