How can I make my 2GB stick of RAM work properly?

brandester32

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hi. So my machine has 4 DDR2 slots with two being occupied, each by a 1GB stick. They are in the same channel. I decided to buy a 2GB stick for my machine thinking it would make it faster for a total of 4GB. So I put it in and to my surprise the computer is actually running slower than before I put it in. I've checked BIOS and the speeds and sizes were in accordance. My question is basically is there a way I can make the 2gb stick go to use to speed up my computer? The RAM that came with my machine is PC2-4200 and the RAM I purchased is PC2-6400. I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit.

PC specifications: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-79681383-80144351.html?dnr=1
Motherboard specifications: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00906129&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3377257&lang=en#N133
The RAM I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231203

Solution

"Virtual memory" refers to using your hard drive as RAM in the event that all of your RAM is being used up. This is referred to as a "Swap file" or "Page file": When all of your RAM is being used up, it will store temporary files on a section of your hard drive reserved as the Swap File. When those files are needed, it will take memory out of RAM and 'swap' it with memory stored on the hard drive. This drastically slows down your computer's performance because now, in order to access certain data, it has to take files off...

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
this board work on dual channel so you had only one then the motherboard work in single channel mode see you system user and motherboard manual for this you need to had another 2 gig to work in dual channel and win 7 32 bits could see only 4 gig total it wont use memory over that

brandester32

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Is there possibly anything I can do on the computer as opposed to purchasing another stick of RAM. I read on some other post something about virtual memory, but I didn't quite understand what it was getting at.

Botnus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012

"Virtual memory" refers to using your hard drive as RAM in the event that all of your RAM is being used up. This is referred to as a "Swap file" or "Page file": When all of your RAM is being used up, it will store temporary files on a section of your hard drive reserved as the Swap File. When those files are needed, it will take memory out of RAM and 'swap' it with memory stored on the hard drive. This drastically slows down your computer's performance because now, in order to access certain data, it has to take files off of RAM, store it on the hard drive, and then take files from the hard drive, and store it in RAM before it can be processed.

A 32-bit OS can only utilize up to 4GB of RAM. You can still utilize the 4GB of RAM that you purchased by removing the two 1GB sticks, and placing the two 2GB sticks in their place. Unless your motherboard requires that both slots of Channel 1 be used before it can use Channel 2, I would recommend putting a 2GB stick of RAM in both channels to fully utilize your Dual Channel motherboard.

Solution