Sign in with
Your question

I3-2125

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 12:29:13 PM

i am building a budget build (deshtop) from scratch for my friend for all purpose usage.
Budget is only 400$ for complete pc (including monitor, mouse, keyboard etc), but i am discusing only main components for now.

i am not considering a dedicated graphics card to include now in this budget build (as budget is low and my friend play only old games at 720p only (like nfsmw, gtavc, gtasa, aoe3, mw2, mw3, l4d etc)

He wants to upgrade it in future, by swapping 2nd gen i3 to 2nd or 3rd gen cpu (like i5-2500k), and by adding a dedicated graphics card like gtx6 or hd7.

1. I am considering intel i3-2125 to fit in that pc, is that good, if not which is a better option.

2. Which motherboard should i consider (want to put a board with z68 chipset or any other better). (can consider a ssd to in future to make use of quick response)

3. 4gb ram is enough,i am considering 2x 2gb ddr3 1333 cl 7, 8 or 9 ram , (to make use of duel channel, and to keep low cost) or using 1600 cl 7, so question is , how much will be the performance in these config for all purpose use.

4. I want to put a high performance hdd or 160gb (yes it is enough), so is their any good option.

5. Monitor will be a 17-21inch lcd/led so how to check the quality of a monitor for lcd and led technology. Also give me some example/link of good lcd/led screen for ~120$.

Thats all.

More about : 2125

a c 190 à CPUs
January 31, 2012 1:35:50 PM

1. The Intel® Core™ i3-2125 is a very nice processor that has our Intel HD 3000 Graphics that can support graphic video up to 1080P graphics. Here is some additional information on those graphics http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-referenc...

2. Right now you can pick up the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 is a very nice entry level gaming board.

3. DDR 3 1600 is costing the same as the DDR 3 1333 just make sure that you pick up 1.5v memory as the 2nd generation Intel Core processors only support DDR 3 at 1.5v ±5%. Any more can damage the memory controller on the processor.

4. Right now the prices on HDD are still high so I would advise that you look at some like a refurbished HDD like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as a short term option and pick up a better drive later on.

5. When it comes to monitors I am not the best person except to say Samsung as they have the reputation as the best http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 3:35:06 PM

Thank you for reply
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 3:35:34 PM

Thank you for reply

1. In the link, i saw that 2nd gen cpu support upto dx10.1 does it means it does not support 11, many 2nd gen i core have hd2k graphics, but 2125 have 3k so does it support dx11?

3.a) Dram Voltage higher than 1.5 can damage controller, and if using lower (energy saving ram like 1.2v model) voltage ram is it safe and stable?
b) Also if use 1.5v setting on a 1.2 ram then it will harm the controller or not? (overvoltage of ram to stablize overclock of ram)
c) to which (out of ram latency or clock speed) the 2125 is more sensitive in terms of performance?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 4:32:07 PM

truegenius said:

1. In the link, i saw that 2nd gen cpu support upto dx10.1 does it means it does not support 11, many 2nd gen i core have hd2k graphics, but 2125 have 3k so does it support dx11?

no it does NOT support dx11, for that you will need a discrete graphics card. this looks like an up to date list:
http://solidlystated.com/hardware/list-of-directx-11-vi...

it seems that HD 3000 ranks about the lowest card that has dx 11 that ati puts out according to:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

so bottom line if you want dx 11 you need a discrete card. seriously, if your friend wants to do any modern gaming later than a discrete card is highly desirable. if i could suggest getting i3-2120, same clock speed just hd 2000 instead and use the $20 in savings towards a discrete card which will cost about $120*. you can drop down to a i3 2100 or even a pentium g860 (no igpu) and use the added savings to get a discrete card with a system that would be decent to run most game available at an enjoyable frame rate. this is with upgrading to a i5 2500k or the "new" i5 2550k.

HOWEVER, right now your friend plays older games that do not need dx 11 so a Z68 mobo and i3 2125 and than upgrade to a discrete card and an i5 later. but really i wonder if the frame rate in any modern game (action in a fps) wouldn't be lacking . . .

*i do not have prices at my fingertips so it is a "guessestimation".
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 11:16:49 AM

NEED QUICK RESPONSE
AS MY FRIEND WILL BE BUYING THIS IN NEXT 15 to 20 HOURS

ok a little change in plan,
i found that my friend doesnot know abc of overclocking and i don't want to make him fry his board,
so to save him some money and to keep him away from overclocking, i am planning to put h61 chipset board like this
www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4095#sp

is this a buggy board or not,
is its pcie x16 will work with sandy (as it is a v3.0 slot)

but it doesn't have pci slot (need atleast 1) or is their is any way to convert pcie x1 into pci

can you provide me some other boards too that are ivy ready with h61 (also with z68) chipset and pci , pciex1, pciex16 slots. (intel, asus, gigabyte, and msi are available in this area)
a c 190 à CPUs
February 3, 2012 4:14:08 PM

I would look at the MSI Z68A-G43 it is a nice board that should allow you to be ready for our next gen processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
a c 478 à CPUs
February 3, 2012 4:54:47 PM

I would still go with ASRock Z68 Extreme3 or MSI Z68A-G43. Your friend does not need to immediately overclock the CPU as soon as the PC is put together. Besides the Core i3 series cannot be overclocked much anyway. Your friend can leisurely learn about overclocking while he is saving up money for the i5-2500k (or Ivy Bridge CPU) which can be easily overclocked.

If your friend has no intention of overclocking whatsoever, then yeah drop down to a H61 chipset.
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2012 2:30:51 PM

ok,
we searched the whole market and found that z68 chipset board are currently unavailable, and only few model of h61 board are available and which does not worth buying as they are priced higher than expected (cheapest h61 board is of around 80 doller) also 2100,2500k,2600k are only available intel cpu in the market (here).

so ended up with a cheap c2d with a cheap board as other option were crossing the stated budget, and he will buy the i5 of ivy as soon as it hits the market
!