Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2012 1:11:38 AM

My computer has been freezing. At first it started out just hanging. Meaning the mouse would freeze music would keep playing then 20 seconds later a boop would come out of the speakers and it would resume. Then it started completely freezing. When playing games the sound would be a bit choppy. My instincts tell me PSU, CPU or motherboard.

Now I must say that this sort of thing happened about a year ago and replacing the cpu fixed it. But, that cpu is in another computer now and it runs fine. My first troubleshooting was to reinstall the OS. it had Win7 on it for over a year with no problems. But since Im a student I get win8 free so why not. Well it's freezing still.

Some people suggested mobo because of the boop sound and it may just be hanging or something.

Here are the specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX 1 year
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard 3 years

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR4GK 5 years
couldn't find a link to my specific parts.

ADATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD2U800B2G5-DRH 3 years

Raidmax Hybrid 730W ATX12V/ EPS12V Power Supply RX-730SS 3 years
http://www.amazon.com/Raidmax-Hybrid-ATX12V-EPS12V-RX-7...

EVGA GTX 260 superclocked 3 years
Couldnt find a link

160gb sata HDD is 5 years old.

Oh and my case lights act wierd. They dim and turn off and anywhere between when i push on it with my leg. Assuming there is a loose cable to those since they all are linked and have the same brightness. Not sure what powers them.

Any ideas?

More about : computer freezes

December 3, 2012 2:23:59 AM

First try checking to make sure all fans are spinning and the inside of the case isn't dirty. It doesn't sound like it's overheating, but it's a good idea to check.

Next, run a memory diagnostics test with the built-in memory diagnostics tool in Windows 7. You can access this at system start up by pressing the associated key at start up. The splash screen should tell you which key to press to reach the screen, usually DEL, F2, F10 or F12. Keep in mind we're not going to the BIOS, we're trying to use system diagnostics.

If your memory checks out, it's more likely that your PSU could be failing. You can either trade the PSU with another computer and see if the issue persists or see if the issue occurs on another computer with the PSU in question. A common symptom of a failing PSU is at start up: While your system loads windows, does it lock up frequently? That's a tell-tale sign that the PSU is failing.

If your PSU and Memory both check out, it's a strong possibility that your motherboard is, in fact, the culprit. However before you go about trading it in for another one, be sure to run a virus scan and make sure that there aren't any viruses messing with your system. I recommend going online and downloading the latest version of MalwareBytes.

Good luck!
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:17:53 AM

Okay I'll run memtest tonight.

Umm yeah a couple of the freezes have been within 5 minutes of boot. Never during the actually startup though.

It is dirty. I blew it out about 3 months ago dont have access to an air compression at the moment. But its not too hot. 4 case fans. and A giant CPU cooler that keeps it at around 40C normally and never over 50C during gaming or full load.

Don't think its a virus. Ive always had security essentials on and run MalwareBytes from time to time. I'll run another right now.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2012 4:58:09 AM

memtest
PSU Tester or multimeter
chkdsk
and like Botnus said, virus scan.
m
l
December 3, 2012 5:00:16 AM

Although to me it sounds like a PSU issue. Unfortunately the only two ways to check is to swap with another PSU if you know someone or have an extra laying around. Or a PSU tester which are pretty cheap. Multimeter if you're familiar with using one. But I would just try to find one to swap out.
m
l
December 3, 2012 5:39:59 AM

So I ran memtest and got strange results.

started it and came back an hour later, 3 million errors and counting!
restarted it and skipped tests to see if it was a particular one. Random number sequences always cause errors. I took out pairs and then swapped pairs and then put just a single one in. Always failed. I don't think I'm that unlucky that all of my sticks would break.

m
l
December 3, 2012 2:10:37 PM

ran a correct memtest all night

1 error on pass 4 of 6. I'm not too worried about that.
m
l
December 4, 2012 7:52:01 PM

Well the last couple days it has kinda flip flopped. It hasn't frozen near start up but if I leave it for a few hours it is most likely froze when i get back to it.
m
l
!