Sign in with
Your question

FX6300 - Board with BIOS support out of the box

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2012 1:19:24 AM

After years of sticking my toe in the water, I'm finally jumping in! I've decided on a FX-6300 build, but hit a bit of a snag as I did more reading and realized that many boards that are shipping don't support the new Piledriver chips without a BIOS update.

This creates a bit of an issue for me for a couple reasons.

1) The standard suggestion is to plug in an older AMD chip and update the BIOS, then put the new chip in. I don't have one and I don't know any computer builders locally. Buying an old chip for this purpose just seems like a waste of $$ and negates a lot of the cost advantage AMD may have.

2) I'm as green as it gets, and I really would like to limit the number of potential trouble spots. Putting the cpu in the socket and crossing my fingers to see if it works makes me a bit uneasy....

The only solution I came up with at this point is to buy the ASUS M5A97 R.2. I can at least plug a USB into the motherboard with the updated BIOS and flash it. That way I know I've got something that will work.

I'd prefer the Gigabyte 970A-UD3 - but I don't want to roll the dice from NewEgg only to find they shipped one of the Rev 1.x boards.

Am I overthinking this? Is there any way to work with NewEgg to ship the correct BIOS? Any other solutions? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question - but I'm trying to plan ahead. :) 

a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 6:12:41 AM

Hi :) 
Tell us about your budget....
I've been looking at the rev 2.0 boards from Asus and 990FX Evo is also shipping at a default BIOS 0213-0211 while CPU support List says you'd need version 1006 or Higher for Vishera. Although the newest BIOS available is 1201 its unclear which latest BIOS the mobo's are currently shipping with.
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 8:08:12 AM

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/?cat=Downlo...

CPU support list says 6300 is supported by BIOS version 1.6 and above, 1.6 was released in July this year so there's a pretty good chance that this board supports the cpu out of the box...but it may be better to call their help desk to know for sure
Related resources
December 3, 2012 11:44:34 AM

Thanks for the input! I looked at the ASRock board, I'll do a deeper dive.

Budget = $120 or less.
!