Sign in with
Your question

Help me finish my build?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2012 1:36:53 AM

Due to financial issues and terrible shipping experience, I couldn't get all the parts I need for my build at one time. I want to be able to finish my build in the next week to two weeks - at least have the parts in the mail.

Here is what I have:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120 (#N82E16819115077)

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995 (#N82E16820226191)

PSU: PC Power and Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 (#N82E16817703005)

Video Card: MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (#N82E16814127518)

I still need a case obviously, and more where I need your help, is a motherboard. .

I was about to get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX (#N82E16813157293 on newegg), but it is currently out of stock. This is a game build (even though not a "hardcore" one), so I am looking for something that would allow me upgrading in the future without breaking the bank at the moment. I don't know what to look for when I'm looking into motherboards.

The case I want is the Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm.

I found the (http://www.amazon.com/LGA1155-CrossFireX-Motherboard-Z7... sorry, can't paste links for some reason) on Amazon, which I can get, and from what I understand it would work with my parts - I just want to make 1000 sure so I am not stuck with a motherboard that won't work with my parts.

Thanks everyone!

btw:

I can't put links, images or paste any web content into the forum, so this is why it's so text heavy. I don't know why. I apologize.

More about : finish build

a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 12:07:59 PM

Get a mobo with PCIE x16 3.0 as it will come handy in future, try getting one with 8 ram slots in quad channel for ram updradibility. Has both SLI and crossfire support.
My suggestion asus Sabertooth z77 $200-$250.
Related resources
December 3, 2012 12:16:22 PM

hmm keep in mind that my CPU is i3 (it's up there). I think my high performance gaming will be restricted by the CPU way before the motherboard... however, for the future, maybe so.

I don't know too much about these things (learning as I go) so what is the difference between the difference between PCIEs? Will it support newer video cards?

This is a jump of 50% to 100% in the price of the motherboard, see. While I do want a computer I could upgrade in the future, is motherboard the most important, or is there a more important part to upgrade first? I understand this is an opinion issue, but that's also why I'm here :) 
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 12:32:27 PM

Actually pcie 3 is not so important, no card uses pcie x16 2.0at it's full potential. What is your budget?
Also if you are buying for gaming go for an amd processor. They are cheap.
December 3, 2012 1:09:20 PM

Xttony,

I wanted to get the cheapest thing I could. The video card and the PSU are both from my old computer, for example. For all I know, my old computer which had a motherboard that supported DDR2 (had 4GB of RAM, now I will have 8GB, DDR3) and a dual core CPU from 2006 (I forget the specs), could run my favorite games (Arkham city, fallout 3, dead space 2 to name a few) more than "just fine," so I'm under the assumption that this build is already an improvement.

What is the cheapest I could do? So far I spent about $250 between the CPU, RAM, case, HDD. I want to finish it within the whole thing in the $400 range, so a motherboard that costs around $150 with a DVD drive (Gotta install that Vista somehow - and don't worry, will get rid of it as soon as I can) should do just that. Looking for a combo deal, btw, not that it's such a big deal.

I am an old PC user who used a MacBook Pro for a while, and going back to PC (that's another long but interesting story if you wanna hear it, not here probably though...), and the difference between spending almost $2000 on an iMac and $400 or so on a good build is jaw dropping. Just to give you the angle of where I'm coming from. I used to upgrade parts in the past and I forgot how the easy way out (buy something expensive and good) is not always the best for your wallet, for what I need.

Anyway, hope that gives you a good idea. If you play games, tell me where you think I'd see the difference with what I have and what was offered above? If you can? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks, and sorry for ranting
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 2:43:32 PM

Go for the gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H? And if you plan to buy a video card go for two used Ati hd 4790. They are awesome. I always test different high end games with my Ati hd 4850 512mB and handled assassins creed 3 at highest settings, (shadow medium), (hdd) with no lag what so ever. Medal of honor warfighter with highest settings (ssd) all at full hd.
Go for ASUS in optioal drive.
!