Current sweet spot for sandybridge

Mrsash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I had a Q6600 with 9600 GT and I thought I was good. Now this was years ago and its time to upgrade. I am looking at I5 2500k and Asus Z68 motherboard. I am having trouble deciding a graphics card. There are three things I need help on since I havent kept up with graphics cards. I occasionally play quake3, yes mostly this since I have almost no time and can prob squeeze out 15minutes to play a game of quake 3. I had tried playing crysis on Q6600 and 9600gt and it played fine on medium settings which I am not too fussed over.

What I am looking for is a card from Nvidia which is good on power saving when in idle and does good work when playing games as well as being in the sweet spot of dollar value.

Since I had a 9600 gt I was recently advised by a shop that I no longer have to connect the spdif out from motherboard to graphics card to get audio out of the HDMI connector if I decide to go the HTPC route. He did not mention which cards he was mentioning. Just thought I ask about that while I am asking the above question.....

Hope you guys can help

Your 9600GT obviously can still handle Quake 3 perfectly well if that is all you really play.
If you want an upgrade so you can get into other games it depends on what you want to spend really. From Nvidia the GTX 460 or GTX 560 Ti are probably the best values for the money right now. If you are using a low resolution then consider the GTS 450.

Mrsash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
My Power supply is Antec Neo 550
Ram I have not decided on since I was gonna go for 1600 CL8 or CL9. Dont know if going faster with DDR3 is worth it?

Budet would be about $200 ish

Monitor is 23" samsung LCD 1080

I sold the 9600GT and want to buy something that can be considered good but not over the top. Any cards you guys know with the optimus tech from nvidia? Also I am not aware about the audio being routed through HDMI for Htpc purposes if I decide to go that way?

thanks