Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2012 3:51:58 AM

First of all this is a new build.

ASUS C60M1-I motherboard
8GB RAM
2 3TB Seagate Barracuda
Thermaltake 430W power supply
Antec Three Hundred case

I've been trying to get into the BIOS to setup boot from USB for a FreeNAS setup. Sometimes I get the ASUS splash screen to hit DEL and enter bios, other times it just goes right to trying to boot and gives me an error about not having an OS on my hard drives.

I've been in the BIOS a couple times, and every once in awhile I'll get the chance to do it again. I have updated the BIOS to 0305 and it didn't seem to change whether or not I got the splash screen all the time.

If I turn the system on and keep hitting DEL the screen will just go blank and stay that way unless I get lucky and see the splash screen.

I have used the jumper to clear the setting, then the screen will come up saying Please enter setup to recover BIOS, Hit F1 to enter setup. I hit F1 and the screen will go black.

Any ideas what is going on? Thank you.
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 11:50:20 AM

May be a ram problem although I got a similar problem when one off my hdd was failing.try using different combinations of ram cards . Also try booting without any hdd.
m
l
December 3, 2012 2:40:25 PM

I tried it with just 1 RAM stick, and I have unplugged both HDD and all USB items. Still the same issues, it just shows up when it wants to.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 2:48:18 PM

KWfarmer said:
I tried it with just 1 RAM stick, and I have unplugged both HDD and all USB items. Still the same issues, it just shows up when it wants to.

Reset bios again. Try again with hdd removed and put the card in the 2nd slot.
If you can enter bios somehow set the ram timings.
m
l
December 3, 2012 2:54:40 PM

Just tried the reset with both RAM sticks. It picks up my 8GB of RAM. Says Please enter setup to reset BIOS Settings. Press F1 to enter SETUP. I hit F1 and blank screen. Nothing.

And why do the RAM timings need to be set? Not that it matters since I can't get into the BIOS anyways.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 2:58:57 PM

How many slots do you have?
Slots of different colour?
m
l
December 3, 2012 2:59:57 PM

2 slots
1 blue, 1 black.

Tried the reset again with just 1 in the black. Picks it up and displays 4096MB (DDR3-1066) just like it should

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.
Press F1 to Run SETUP.

I press F1 and blank again.

The only things I have connected are the monitor, ps2 keyboard, usb mouse, and ethernet. All connections are hooked to motherboard, HDD's disconnected.

EDIT: Disconnected usb mouse and ethernet. Moved RAM stick to blue. Same story as before.

I have the ASUS motherboard DVD but I don't have a DVD-ROM in this build or one around that I can use either.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 3:15:36 PM

Try this last one out remove the CMOS abattoirs for some minutes then replug it and then try to boot it.
If that fails then
Your PSU has some problem
Problem in the cards it self
Problem with CPU

Anyway I hope you have right frequency cards. 800/1033mhz .

Im all out
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:18:04 PM

It will try to boot because it will read my HDD and say this is a FreeNAS drive. I have had it up and running. The RAM cards are correct and are DDR3-1066.

The only problem I have is I cannot get the ASUS splash screen to get into the BIOS. Randomly I'll get it here and there.
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:45:46 PM

Could my monitor have been causing a grounding issue? All these issues were occuring with my KDS Visual Sensations on the VGA. If I hook up a Starlogic monitor to VGA. I can get right in, so far everytime. Even did a jumper reset with it, hit F1 and bam I'm in the BIOS setup.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 3:55:50 PM

I don't really think so but if it works and you can boot into your OS keep an eye on the temperature, fan speed of all the components.
If it a grounding issue then it could have done some damage cuz if electricity flows freely then it is more like a short circuit.
Either way get it checked because it is one of the most unique problems I have ever came across.
m
l
December 3, 2012 4:01:57 PM

I'm going to be running FreeNAS. While sitting in the BIOS the Temp and fan speeds all seem fine. CPU temp is steady at 95F/35C and Motherboard temp is 80.6F/27C. I'm wondering if the board just didn't have support for that monitor, or monitor resolution issues. Now that I think of it, I doubt it would've been grounding because something would have probably fried.

It also makes sense that just the text would show and not the splash screen since the screen would be actual images (GUI). Definitely unique to me as well, and somewhat mind blowing as to why it worked that way.

But EVERY time I've resetted and loaded on the Starlogic monitor, I can always get into the BIOS. Strange. Appreciate ALL the help and ideas you've posted. Greatly appreciated.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 4:21:13 PM

Thank you for providing me with a new unique type of problem.
m
l
!