Recommendations for upgrading comp???

Tags:
  • New Build
  • My Documents
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 31, 2011 12:23:24 AM

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

My hard drive crashed (currently figuring out how I will get all my documents and pictures off of it :fou:  ) so I'm using that as an excuse to upgrade my rig listed down below. I have the cash but would rather save some of it if possible. How did I do? I'm curious about a new hard drive, which one is best. Not willing to shell out the $$$ needed for an SSD, and don't really need 1 TB as I will use maybe 250-300 GB total. Very interested in any recommendations anyone has since I'll be placing the order by the end of the night so that I can get this show on the road this week. Anyone aware of any combo deals on newegg that could currently benefit me, missed the $15 off Windows 7 they had yesterday so very mad about that. . .

Current Rig:

| Q6600 @ 2.8 GHz | XFX ATI 5750 1GB | 4GB OCZ DDR2 | DFI INFINITY P965-S | 500 GB HDD | Vista 64-bit | Acer X193w 19" | NZXT Apollo |

More about : recommendations upgrading comp

October 31, 2011 2:20:20 AM

Easy way to get your data off the HDD that doesnt load properly anymore is to download a copy of linux and burn it on to a CD or DVD. This is called a Live CD/DVD which means when you start the computer with the disk in the computer you will run a different operating system off the disk.

With the Live CD/DVD and an external driver like a USB thumb drive or hard drive you can get your documents off of the broken HDD.

This worked for me, even when my HDD was mechanically broken and would fail to read from time to time.

Are you looking to build a new rig or just update the one you have?
m
l
October 31, 2011 2:25:02 AM

bobusboy said:
Easy way to get your data off the HDD that doesnt load properly anymore is to download a copy of linux and burn it on to a CD or DVD. This is called a Live CD/DVD which means when you start the computer with the disk in the computer you will run a different operating system off the disk.

With the Live CD/DVD and an external driver like a USB thumb drive or hard drive you can get your documents off of the broken HDD.

This worked for me, even when my HDD was mechanically broken and would fail to read from time to time.

Are you looking to build a new rig or just update the one you have?

Thanks for the info. Now just need to find someone with a Linex PC.

To answer your question, Just looking to upgrade the one that I have. But in doing so I want to set myself up well for the future so I don't mind spending some money. . .
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2011 2:41:31 AM

You don't need to find someone with a Linux Pc , If you have a usb stick you can download Linux to it (it's free) and make the usb stick bootable (pen drive) and you have the Linux OS on the usb stick. I did that with my computer to secure erase a hdd using Linux. Just go to the linux site and it is explained what to do on the site.
m
l
October 31, 2011 3:00:42 AM

i noticed you don't have a GPU in your new setup. i'd recommend the AMD radeon hd 6870; i've been using it and for plain gaming purposes it's pretty good; got 60fps on deus ex hr running DX 11 and settings set to mixture of normal/high. or you could spend the extra $80 and grab a 6950 with 2GB of VRAM!
m
l
!