Sign in with
Your question

Wireless receiver issue

Last response: in Networking
December 1, 2010 8:04:14 AM

I run windows vista 64 bit and I haven't had an update since I moved into my new house a bit over a month ago.

As soon as I set my desk top computer up the internet has had connection issues. Generally it started with problems maintaining a connection for very long (sometimes 10-30 minutes and it would disconnect). Currently it randomly "disconnects" about once every few minutes. When it disconnects (most of the time) the globe doesn't disappear and the wireless reports having a perfectly fine connection with the router. I run Wireless G Linksys and so does the household.

A few weeks after I set up my computer the wireless quit streaming. Whenever I use Youtube now it will do the initial load and load about 20 seconds of the video but it won't buff anymore of the video. Other video streaming sites like Hulu don't even work, and adobe flash-based sites are almost impossible to use (for example, the location finder from dominos website will sit and load for literally hours and never load).

It seems like it is getting worse and I can't figure out how to fix it. It may be worthy to note that the household has incredibly bad reception for phones (if you are downstairs you get 1 or no signal and upstairs I still only get one signal. Walk outside and I get perfect reception.

However when other people use their laptops in the house and in the room the desktop is setup in the internet works perfectly normal for them.

I've tried resetting, checked updates, reset the router but nothing seems to work and while my internet is spotty other people have perfect internet connections. On the other hand my receiver worked fine at other houses. Also I have no firewalls at all on my computer.
a c 79 F Wireless
December 1, 2010 12:38:20 PM

where is the router and the PC located?
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2010 8:41:46 PM

retellect said:
frozenmorale, I would recommend using this microsoft service first: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-...

Is your wifi receiver listed?

No it isn't, but like I said I've used it with this specific computer at over a dozen houses (and all my friends have this receiver w/ vista 64) but I moved into a new place and now it all of a sudden isn't working here.

I have Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHZ 802.11g USB Network Adapter [External]

The Router is about 15-20 feet from the receiver through a wall or two, both are upstairs. I've considered trying to plug in a cable and see what happens but I don't have one atm and I'm flat broke so want to try everything else.
m
l
December 5, 2010 5:43:40 AM

try changing the channel in the WIFI settings. Someone could be using a portable phone that runs at 2.4Ghz, and on the same channel... This can cause what appears to be random drops.
m
l
!