Closed Solved

Quad Core or Six Core?

I was wondering what would be better for gaming (I know intel is best over all but i don't simply want to drop 300+ for a new cpu) i currently have AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz CPU (not overclocked yet) i was debating if i should go with (the only real game i'll be mostly playing is battlefield 3)

- AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE 3.5GHz
- AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE 3.2GHz
- AMD FX 6100 Zambezi x6 3.3GHz

or should i just buy a better cooler (i have coolermaster hyper 212 plus) and overclock the one i have already?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about quad core core
  1. 212+ is good for overclocking X4 to 4GHz. No need to spend a penny to get better performance. And no point in upgrading to X6 if you don't use multitasking software (i.e. 3ds max, after effects) - let alone DOWNGRADING to FX 6100.
  2. Games only use two or three cores so six or eight cores processors are a waste. Games won't even use all those cores. For gaming you're better off with less cores and faster speeds.
  3. Keep your current CPU, and overclock, you can easily get up to 3.8 GHz on stock cooler, so definitely your current one. If you really one to improve game performance get a good graphics card, thats what makes good game performance or consider getting a bit more memory
  4. Best answer
    The 955 is a good quad core processor and because it has an unlocked mulitplier you should be able to get a good overclock. The processor you have now is fine. I would say keep it and overclock it. If anything the Bulldozer would be a downgrade not an upgrade.
  5. Best answer selected by bryankiddo.
  6. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Core AMD Phenom