Rate This Build!

I put together a wishlist on www.newegg.com for my new computer I'll be getting this Christmas.

Please help me with whatever you think I should add/remove.

Note: I already have a case and psu from my current build that are brand new.

Here's the parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Video Card: HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

CD/DVD Reader: LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200

Cost: $980.92
Budget: No more than the highest cost ($1,010.92)

DON'T FORGET: I ALREADY HAVE THE CASE AND PSU!!!!!!!!!
64 answers Last reply
More about rate build
  1. Get an i5-2500k
    Get an Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Your PSU is overkill anyway since you already have it.
  2. Edited: Added those 2 products in place of the previous ones.
  3. Did you plan to overclock? I don't see an aftermarket CPU cooler in the mix.
  4. In fact I did plan to, and I added one. I'll put it in there.
  5. You'll have newer GPU choices by Christmas.
    And your SSD choice doesn't quite match the quality of your other parts.
  6. I didn't see you bought a DDR3 1333. Get a DDR3 1600. It's better.

Everything is fine though.
  7. Can you suggest a CPU cooler and SSD? Anything will do. I thought for CPU cooler I'd go with a Corsair H100 or Coolermaster Hyper 212+
  8. Updated build. I'm new to overclocking btw. I'm thinking I may not do it with this build. Instead I'm going to replace my H100 with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
  9. Here is a SSD replacement for your shortlist: SAMSUNG 830 128GB SATA III SSD

For your choice of case I don't see a matching color shift CPU cooler.
    Im not sure if that Corsair H100 would interfere with fan color shift scheme. You should check that out before you commit.
  10. Even if you don't start out overclocking - I think you want your better cooler in place from the beginning. That way you're not disassembling your rig to get a better cooler when you do decide to do some tweaking. It's actually very easy. It only gets hard when you start working on top end overclocking.
  11. I don't need 128GB. That's too much and awful expensive. 60+ is good. I'm only using SSD for Win7
  12. Updated SSD to a Crucial 64GB Sata III
  13. Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891

The hdd you selected is for servers and raid setups , for almost the same money you can get a sata3 hdd with 2tb of space.
  14. I like the CM Hyper 212+ a lot. Quality cooler at a good price.
    But if you're plan is party to get a 'killer system' you'll get a bit more cred with an upgraded cooler like this
    Thermaltake Frio OCK CPU Cooler

Thermaltake Frio OCK CPU Cooler Review
  15. Ashbacher7 said:
    Updated SSD to a Crucial 64GB Sata III
    A good match with the rest of your system.
    If you're budget is under pressure the CM Hyper 212+ will get the job done keeping your CPU cooler than the wimpy stock cooler.
  16. I'm up to $1100. I may bring it down a little with other parts but it's looking good. I've been replacing with all suggested parts.
  17. Ashbacher7 said:
    I don't need 128GB. That's too much and awful expensive. 60+ is good. I'm only using SSD for Win7

I used a 64gb SSD for my boot drive and I was surprised at how fast that thing filled up . You also don't want to fill it more than 3/4 of the way , it will tend to slow down. I didn' put a lot on it just one game and some apps. I now use a 180gb SSD for my boot drive and I have no games on it and some small apps and it has 99gb of free space.
  18. $1200 now. Added 128GB SSD. What about a student edition of Win7? What's the difference between it and Home Basic besides price?
  19. Usually, you can expect to spend about 15-20% of your budget on the case and PSU.
    Your Level 10 GT & Corsair AX1200 clock in about $580. That's a huge chunk of your budget. At least they're quality parts you'll be able to use in future builds as well.
  20. I already have those 2 parts. If you read that :P
  21. Ashbacher7 said:
    I'm up to $1100. I may bring it down a little with other parts but it's looking good. I've been replacing with all suggested parts.

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible $33.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

This fan/heatsink has two fans and will do a great jod keeping your cpu cool.
  22. Ashbacher7 said:
    What about a student edition of Win7? What's the difference between it and Home Basic besides price?
    I think the Student deal is for Win7 Pro edition.....and that it's an upgrade only offer.
    You have a link to the deal so we can check?
  23. Ashbacher7 said:
    If you read that :P
    Read it twice since you mentioned it twice.
  24. Ok so here's a problem I have, that fan connector you find on most fans, my PSU doesn't have that, but it does have a molex. Can I get that connector to molex adapter?
  25. Ashbacher7 said:
    $1200 now. Added 128GB SSD. What about a student edition of Win7? What's the difference between it and Home Basic besides price?

The student edition is fine , it's just Microsofts way of giving students a break in the price. I got the students MSOffice and it was just like the retail version.
  26. Ashbacher7 said:
    Ok so here's a problem I have, that fan connector you find on most fans, my PSU doesn't have that, but it does have a molex. Can I get that connector to molex adapter?

There are a variety of adaptors that can be had and a molex to 3 or 4 pin fan connector is one of them,
    Link Depot POW-ADT-3P4 Power 4 pin adapter to 3 pin fan adapter
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189119
  27. Thanks for the adaptor. Also, I'll be switching to that cpu cooler you said. I believe in Copper > Aluminum.
  28. Is an SSD a good idea? This is seriously pushing my budget and I was hoping to get this under $1000. It's at around $1150.
  29. inzone said:
    The student edition is fine , it's just Microsofts way of giving students a break in the price.
    It's an upgrade edition - not a full edition.
    You need to have a qualifying OS (XP or Vista). It's mentioned under the Read Before You Buy / Details.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9656/ss009.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  30. The SSD is a good idea - but it's not a requirement. You can add one later.
  31. Thanks for the student edition info. That helps a ton. I'll stick with home basic.
  32. I'm going to leave out the SSD at the moment. It really pushes my budget.
  33. I think you want a replacement HDD. The WD Caviar Green option was based on having the SSD boot drive.
  34. Oh ok. Possible a WD Black?
  35. That's what I was thinking. The 500GB model is plenty of storage.
    Prices should be back down to the 'normal' range before you'd more storage.
  36. Updated. I'll check for updates tomorrow. Please post all thoughts. Thanks for your help WR2 and Inzone.
  37. You should probably mention where you on your budget and if you're still looking for places to trim costs.

There is always the option of using Intel Smart Response, a small SSD (~40GB) that acts as cache for the HDD.
  38. that board does not have on board connectors for usb 3.0, don't know if that is a big deal or not for you.
  39. consider selling your psu on ebay or a forum or something. it's insanely much.
  40. Is there a specific way to set up Intel Smart Response? Also, I will look for a usb3 connector board. I'm not selling my psu because I plan on doing CrossfireX and overclocking in the future with it.
  41. Nothing special in the setup. You just tell your Z68 board to use the SSD drive as cache and it does it for you.

But the price between a cache only 32GB SSD $70 and a full boot drive 64GB SSD $110 isn't that huge. When you look at the price it turns out you'd end up being better off just saving up for a SSD boot drive and adding it later.
    And anything you can add later helps keep the total price down now.
  42. Is there anything else currently I can hold off on? Like maybe the cpu cooler? Could I use the stock for a while? Or should I keep it?
  43. save money and buy a different HDD. samsung spinpoint f3 for example

You might be better off buying a 128 gb ssd for the price of your selected HDD
  44. Idk about a ssd right now. I want to have a hdd for storage.. It'll make me feel safer.
  45. Could I do 2 128 ssds in raid-0?
    Though that KILLS my budget. So nevermind.
  46. You could hold off on the Cooler and get a 500GB HDD.
  47. I switched to a 500gb just now and kept the cooler. It dropped my price to below $1000 which is safe.
  48. But your looking at a different hdd, correct?

Because the one you selected is currently 200.00 on newegg.

n/m typed while you were typing.
  49. SSDs work good in RAID.
    But you can often get a better value getting a single 256GB vs 2x 128GB.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product