$2500 [AUD] Gaming PC -** Honest and constructive feedback requested**

sirpaulus

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month from day (31-10-2011)

Budget Range: $2500 AUD, i'm not sure if there are any rebates on offer?

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 1 - most important, 5 - least important.

1. Gaming
1.1 - BF3 - High settings
1.2 - MF3 - High Settings
1.3 - Diablo 3 - high settings

Other games as they come on the market etc.

2. Web Design/Graphics
3. Movies
4. Surfing the net
5. Word processing (i.e. work).

Parts Not Required:

1. Keyboard
2. Mouse
3. Speakers
4. Monitor
5. OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any sites that are recommended wholesalers in Australia.

Country of Origin: Australia, Melbourne

Parts Preferences: No preference.

Overclocking: Yes - from what i've read, technology improvements over the past few years has reduced the amount of risk in overclocking and great returns can be made by overclocking...?

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, depending on the build recommended? SLI or CrossFire? Whatever would assist in sustaining a high threshold of FPS in any game environment.

I dont know if internet connection matters, but i'm on a 100MPS plan (i know you dont get to 100MPS, but it's definitely faster than ADSL2 etc).

Monitor Resolution: Dependent on the GFX card suggested as to the optimal resolution achievable?

Additional Comments:

Hi All,

It would be brilliant if i could get some honest and constructive feedback on a very efficient and future proofed gaming build.

Ideally, i'm looking for bang for buck (components which, when all working together, make a solid rig and shouldn't require much upgrading over the next 2-3 years)

Ultimately, i will be guided by your feedback, the experts - As I've neglected keeping myself informed and not been in the loop with the lastest technology advancements made over the last few years (i.e. sandy motherboards etc.) as a result, I'm not completely aware of the true potential each item can offer to improve performance.

Reading into the forums, i can see there is definitely much more scope and expertise within this community than i could ever hold to attain, which is priceless.

All feedback will be considered (not ignored), i can imagine how frustrating it is when your feedback is provided, but not acknowledged.

Preferably, i don't want this post to be a troll fest, but more of a discussion which ultimately fleshes out the most efficient performing PC for the money. I'd hope it would be something you would be proud of to buy/build if you, yourself were buying the PC.

Sorry if i come across as another ignorant gamer, but i felt as though the experience here was far more superior and vast to my own, which would be injustice when looking to make an informed and well balanced decision to help see my money go further (not go to waste).

If you have any further questions, I'd be delighted to answer them.

Cheers
Paul

sirpaulus

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hey Outlander, sounds silly, but i'm not 100% sure.

I didn't select a monitor because i do have one, but was happy to take a hit in quality of image whilst i wait to buy one.

it's an Asus 19'' 60hrz, about 3 years old.
Perhaps it would be easier to just to assume i was buying a new screen, open to suggestions on this one as well.

Cheers
Paul

An older 19 inch LCD has far fewer pixels than a modern 1080p screen , and since each pixel has to be calculated for each frame of a game higher resolutions are need a much more powerful graphics card .

PCcasegear.com.au is a good place to buy quality components .

The typical top end gaming pc that will run those games really well on high settings at that resolution is
Intel i5 2500k processor
socket 1155 motherboard with a Z68 chipset
2 x4 gig of 1600MHz RAM at 1.5 volt
A gaming case with good air flow for cooling
an 80 -120 gig solid state hard drive to install windows and games to
a 1 terabyte hard drive . The samsung F3 is the best
A GTX 570 graphics card , with the option to add a second one later in SLI
850 watt power supply

sirpaulus

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Thanks for the feedback Outsider, thanks for giving me some specs to start out with.

Questions:

1. Why an i5 2500k? we have i7's now? is it due to the fact that i7 isn't fully utilised to be worthwhile or does my budget restrict it?
1.1 won't an i5 2500k processor be outdated?
1.2 any particular model of the i5 2500k? should cache and FSB be considered etc?

2. I've heard alot about the Z68 chipset on this forum, seems to get alot of praise, do you mind explaining what features make this chipset stand out above the rest?

3. RAM, could you suggest a brand you think is worth value for money?

4. Could anyone suggest a gaming case? Quiet is best right?

5. SSD, any suggestions on the type or brand of SSD? are they all pretty much the same?
5.1 Samsung F3 Terabyte HHD? Why is the F3 better compared to other models?

6. GTX570, you chose an Nvidia GeForce over a Radeon? i.e. 6950?
6.1 Would this be due to the SLI option to be considered later down the track?

7. Would 850 watt be enough? any suggestions on a power supply? both tried and trusted?

Thanks for your feedback so far Outsider :)

Cheers
Paul

sirpaulus

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Hi Nick, why are you more of a fan of the 6950 over the GTX570?
Are there any stats or benchmarks to compare against?

Cheers
Paul

sirpaulus

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Hi Rob, do you believe the GTX570 will outperform the Radeon 6950 in terms of games on a high resolution/setting?
is there any benchmarks or results i could review to make a choice on the card in the end?

Cheers
Paul

hiimnickwhoareu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

The 570 will outperform the 6950, I have no doubts upon that. It's just that, in regards to the notion of 'bang for buck', I believe you're better off buying the 6950, as whilst there is a difference in performance, I don't believe it's worth an extra $100. However, it's your choice. If you want to spend more money for a 'better' GPU, go for it. Regardless of which card you choose, you're not losing out too much. Keep in mind, that in a few months, the cards will be out of date.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well you mentioned possible SLI config for future... getting a gtx570 and then being able to throw another one in later will get you some nice performance....

$100 extra... isn't really a boat load of money when your mainly building a rig for #1 priority "Gaming at high settings"....

if your looking to go the cheaper route then go with the 6950... in the end it's your money and your choice.