Sign in with
Your question

Extremely Cheap 2U Server Build

Last response: in Components
January 31, 2012 7:36:39 PM

Hello.

I recently posted a few threads on here about building my own server.

Well I have picked through some sites and have come up with something I think will work. (And also allows for some upgrading in the future)

I already have: A small 6U rack, Optical Drive, 2TB Hard Drive, Windows Server 2008 (Free from school :sol:  )

Like I said in the title, this is an EXTREMELY cheap build. Many of the components are refurb. I have built quite a few PCs out of refurbished components, and have never had a problem. So I am willing to take a chance.

http://www.serversupply.com/MFGR/IBM/PROCESSORS/INTEL%20XEON%20DUAL-CORE/3.0GHZ%20-%201333MHZ%20FSB/42C0578.htm
$52- (2) 3.0GHz Intel Xeon Dual-Core 5160 1333MHz 4MB L2 Cache Socket LGA771

http://www.serversupply.com/MFGR/INTEL/MOTHERBOARD/SERVER%20BOARDS/SOCKET%20771/S5000PSL.htm
$58- S5000PSL - INTEL- SOCKET J (771-PIN LGA) DUAL XEON SERVER BOARD, 1333MHZ FSB, 32GB ECC FBDIMMS MEMORY SUPPORT (S5000PSL).

http://www.plinkusa.net/web2260lv.htm
$74- 2U Rack-mount Chassis

http://www.serversupply.com/MFGR/DELL/MEMORY/PC2-5300/4GB/A2026999.htm
$108- 16GB 8x2 RAM DDR2 FBDIMM PC5300 667mhz

For the Power Supply, the motherboard manual says this:
Quote:
A minimum of 550 watts is required. Your power supply must provide a minimum of 3 amps of 5-volt standby current or the server will not boot.

That seems incredibly excessive to me. So I chose these two Power Supplies. One is a "Server" PS and the other is a standard PS. Would I be able to use the standard? Or would I need a so-called "server" one. If so, what makes the Server one different?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817147045
$89.99 iStarUSA TC-750PD1 20+4Pin 750W Single Server Power Supply - OEM

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101048
$47.99 ePOWER EP-600NE-XV 600W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.92 Power Supply

I have also added the link to the Motherboards manual. Mobo is the S5000PSLSATA
http://www.scribd.com/doc/47249328/d36217005-s5000psl-userguide#outer_page_8

So after all that, the total ends at either: $340 or $382. If this setup is actually all compatible, then it is worth it to me.

Please let me know what you think. Do you see anything that might be an issue? Any compatibility issues? Any suggestions to improve?

Please keep in mind I am trying to build the least expensive/decent performance server I can.

From old thread about what I want server for:

Quote:
1. To connect to the server using smartphones to pull documents, music, videos, etc. (Android and IOS)

2. To use this server as a game server (small games, only people I know, 16 people maximum) ((Mainly to test and play around with maps my friend and I have created using CryENGINE 3))

3. To use this server as a File server and application server to serve devices in my home and in other homes (That I allow to connect)

4. To perform all of these tasks, at once, for a total of maybe 20 people maximum. (Very rare occurence, if not ever)

Thanks in Advance :hello: 
January 31, 2012 8:06:53 PM

Hi :) 

I somehow think Microsoft might be a little unhappy about your MS SERVER 2008 being used at your home....

Buy you own OS .... then you will be legal....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 31, 2012 8:09:48 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I somehow think Microsoft might be a little unhappy about your MS SERVER 2008 being used at your home....

Hahaha. Brett, you misunderstood. We get a free copy from our school. It is not stolen and it comes with a product key. So it is no different than if I went out and bought one, because they already bought it.

:lol: 

EDIT: In fact, I get the majority of my programs for free from Microsoft themselves. Google "Microsoft Dreamspark". You can't get the best of the best, but you can get a large amount of programs for free. Ex. Windows 7, XP, SQL Server, etc. (But they are only home or student versions. :pfff:  )
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2012 9:49:43 PM

Brett928S2 said:

That... made no sense at all... how would a MS server at home be any different then a MS server in a business environment (other then the power required to push said machines) and please don't start spouting off how it was attained illegally when you have no proof of that.

@op, I'm pretty sure that a regular power supply would work for your needs

and all the parts look like they should fit, just make sure the memory is ECC registered

All in all looks like a nice server build for cheap :) 
m
l
January 31, 2012 9:59:21 PM

and all the parts look like they should fit, just make sure the memory is ECC registered

All in all looks like a nice server build for cheap :) said:

All in all looks like a nice server build for cheap :) 

That's what I was figuring. I just don't understand why one is labeled standard and one is labeled server. Marketing?

The RAM is ECC Registered and I made sure it was Fully Buffered. Server RAM is just so damn expensive. :pfff: 
m
l
February 1, 2012 3:20:44 AM

sardonicjester said:
That's what I was figuring. I just don't understand why one is labeled standard and one is labeled server. Marketing?

The RAM is ECC Registered and I made sure it was Fully Buffered. Server RAM is just so damn expensive. :pfff: 

I don't know enough about server ram to answer that D: (and yeah Registered ram is extremely expensive D: )
m
l
February 1, 2012 12:11:59 PM

mouse24 said:
I don't know enough about server ram to answer that D: (and yeah Registered ram is extremely expensive D: )

I was talking about the Power Supplies. I do not know why one power supply can be labeled standard and another server, when they seem to have much of the same properties.

RAM on the otherhand has some pretty big differences. The way server RAM (FBDIMM) ((Fully Buffered)) works compared to desktop RAM is fairly different.

General Update: Unfortunately I no longer have access to the 6U cabinet, my friend ended up selling it for more than I was willing to pay. :pfff: 

Do you know of any cheap cabinets? I would much prefer a cabinet compared to an open rack (to hopefully cut down some of the noise), since this is for my home and not a server room. The problem is they are so damn expensive, the cheapest I have found that fits my server (25 inches deep) is at least $300-$400 bucks. That's more than the server!!!!

Is there any websites companies use to sell off their old servers? or is there a cheap alternative that I can "transform" into a server cabinet?
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:24:39 AM

MOTHERBOARD:
I am not too familiar with that mobo. You may wish to double-check the pinout of the 24-pin (& that 8-pin) power socket on the mobo to ensure that it is standard. Some motherboards have proprietary pinouts that are often (normally) connected in the following order:
PSU -> PDU -> Mobo
PDU = Power Distribution Unit, which is also known as:
Power Distribution Module
DC Converter Module/Unit
Power Distribution Plane
Power Distribution Panel
Power Distribution Board

You can confirm the pinout by referencing the (PDF) manual of the mobo....probably.

ALTERNATE ENCLOSURE:
Your mobo is 12 inches x 13 inches. It is EATX (Extended ATX). It can fit in EATX full tower cases.

PSU:
Server PSUs are loud as balls, efficient, capable of running forever, & (normally) redundant-capable.
Server PSUs (normally) do not directly output a lot of 5V.

Otherwise, if the pinouts are okay & the wattage is okay, any PSU will work.
m
l
!