Photoshop: remove and reinstall?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 18, 2005 2:49:58 PM

I've been using an evaluation copy of Elements 3.0, and it's now
expired and I want to evaluate Nikon Capture. Should I remove
Elements first (I don't like having its background processes
running anyway, it buggers around with my camera download)?
Will re-installing later be any trouble if I decide I prefer it
to Capture?

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:49:58 +0200, Ken Tough wrote:

> I've been using an evaluation copy of Elements 3.0, and it's now
> expired and I want to evaluate Nikon Capture. Should I remove
> Elements first (I don't like having its background processes
> running anyway, it buggers around with my camera download)?
> Will re-installing later be any trouble if I decide I prefer it
> to Capture?

It won't cause problems. What are the background processes to which you
refer? The PS/PSE evaluations use VBOX time limiting technology, as do a
number of others, but other than the VBOX processes... ???

--
John Bean

Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the
world that just don't add up (James Magary)
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 2:49:59 PM

"Ken Tough" <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've been using an evaluation copy of Elements 3.0, and it's now
> expired and I want to evaluate Nikon Capture. Should I remove
> Elements first (I don't like having its background processes
> running anyway, it buggers around with my camera download)?
> Will re-installing later be any trouble if I decide I prefer it
> to Capture?
>
> --
> Ken Tough

Removing the evaluation copy of Elements 3.0 won't make it any easier or
harder to re-install later. Since the evaluation period has expired, I doubt
that you'd be able to re-install the evaluation copy anyway - Adobe is
pretty smart about dis-allowing this. If, on the other hand, you're talking
about installing a non-Eval copy, that should work fine.
April 18, 2005 7:03:10 PM

John Bean <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote:

>It won't cause problems. What are the background processes to which you
>refer? The PS/PSE evaluations use VBOX time limiting technology, as do a
>number of others, but other than the VBOX processes... ???

It has a couple of processes running, at least one of which seems to
somehow monitor the USB for me plugging the camera in, and Photoshop
pops up to see if I want to download using it. (Or at least it is
supposed to, but it seems after the demo expired it doesn't always
pop up, and I'm stuck in limbo-land unable to open the camera as
a drive in Explorer until I can get Photoshop to pop up and tell
me it's expired).

I just don't like having those kind of processes hanging around
if I don't need to. It's like the RealAudio scheduler/update
manager etc. I like having a 'minimal' configuration..

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:03:10 +0200, Ken Tough wrote:

> John Bean <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It won't cause problems. What are the background processes to which you
>>refer? The PS/PSE evaluations use VBOX time limiting technology, as do a
>>number of others, but other than the VBOX processes... ???
>
> It has a couple of processes running, at least one of which seems to
> somehow monitor the USB for me plugging the camera in, and Photoshop
> pops up to see if I want to download using it. (Or at least it is
> supposed to, but it seems after the demo expired it doesn't always
> pop up, and I'm stuck in limbo-land unable to open the camera as
> a drive in Explorer until I can get Photoshop to pop up and tell
> me it's expired).

I'm with you Ken, I didn't know it did that, I would have thought it was
just hooking into the OS events rather than running its own watch events.
Either way now that it's expired you're better rid of it.

> I just don't like having those kind of processes hanging around
> if I don't need to. It's like the RealAudio scheduler/update
> manager etc. I like having a 'minimal' configuration..

Now you touched a nerve. RealPlayer is a bloody nightmare, the authors
should be shot at dawn. You can turn all the annoying bits - eventually -
but they make the changes as obstructive as possible so that most people
will just let it do its thing. A seriously annoying piece of software which
I have the misfortune of having to have installed on my PC.

--
John Bean

The computing field is always in need of new cliches (Alan Perlis)
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:04:44 PM

David Gintz <dgintz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Removing the evaluation copy of Elements 3.0 won't make it any easier or
>harder to re-install later. Since the evaluation period has expired, I doubt
>that you'd be able to re-install the evaluation copy anyway - Adobe is
>pretty smart about dis-allowing this. If, on the other hand, you're talking
>about installing a non-Eval copy, that should work fine.

Okay, good. No I expect the eval not to work any longer, I just
want to eval Capture before I decide. I know that Capture ->
Elements has a niggle with RAW plug-in, so will check that, if I

thanks

--
Ken Tough
April 18, 2005 10:41:30 PM

Hi, (or "on the side" as I used to say many aeons ago <g>) on the subject of
RAW I saw mention of a free copy of RawShooter available at
www.pixmantec.com which claims to have high quality, fast times and wide
format support. I'm not affiliated and don't use it but your thread caught
my eye.

Paul ============}
o o

// Live fast, die old //
PaulsPages are at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:21:01 AM

Pb <pcbradley.removethis@?.lineone.net> wrote:

>Hi, (or "on the side" as I used to say many aeons ago <g>) on the subject of
>RAW I saw mention of a free copy of RawShooter available at
>www.pixmantec.com which claims to have high quality, fast times and wide
>format support. I'm not affiliated and don't use it but your thread caught
>my eye.

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind, but don't really want to complicate
my choices just at the mo

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

In article <WNqm$JB2S3YCFwBP@objectech.co.uk>,
Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been using an evaluation copy of Elements 3.0, and it's now
> expired and I want to evaluate Nikon Capture. Should I remove
> Elements first (I don't like having its background processes
> running anyway, it buggers around with my camera download)?
> Will re-installing later be any trouble if I decide I prefer it
> to Capture?

I'd suggest downloading another Adobe evaluation copy - say Photoshop
and using that.
April 19, 2005 6:42:11 PM

John Bean <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote:

>Now you touched a nerve. RealPlayer is a bloody nightmare, the authors
>should be shot at dawn. You can turn all the annoying bits - eventually -
>but they make the changes as obstructive as possible so that most people
>will just let it do its thing. A seriously annoying piece of software which
>I have the misfortune of having to have installed on my PC.

MPC! http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

Wes