System abruptly shuts down

ltvx

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Good day all,

My computer keeps crashing at totally random moments, I cannot seem to find a pattern. Here is a little bit of history about my system. It's a costum made system which I bought in 2008 and always ran fine this is what it looked like:

Motherboard: MSI-P43 Neo
CPU: Core2Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz (standard Intel fan, not overclocked)
PSU: Sweex PS021 (400 Watt)
GFX: Asus nVidia 9600GT 512MB DDR3
MEMORY: 2x kingston 2gig 1.8v kvr800d2n5k2/4g

About 6 months ago I experienced similiar problems but one day my system wouldn't start at all and went into a infinite loop this was due to a faulty motherboard. So I had to replace it, while I was at it I decided to upgrade my system with a PSU from another system which I didn't use, a new gfx card and a HDD that wasn't being used. So I turned my system into this:

Motherboard: Asus P5QPL-AM
CPU: Core2Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz (standard Intel fan, not overclocked)
PSU: Sweex PS 165 (650 Watt)
GFX: Asus HD 6670 1GB DDR5
MEMORY: 2x kingston 2gig 1.8v kvr800d2n5k2/4g

Now here is where the trouble started that I'm experiencing now. So I thought it might be the PSU causing it so someone recommended me to put back to original sweex I had in there which I did but still the same problems.

CPU tempratures seem normal so I attempted to perform some diagnoses with prime95 and memtest86+ but the system will abruptly crash after not even two minutes of diagnose. I have saved and uploaded the txt reports generanted by HWmonitor and CPU-Z for a more indepth look but so far nothing. I'm starting to surmise that it might be a case of bad memory (that's why I posted here) but I cannot confirm this.

Some noteworthy behaviour:
My system crashes at almost any video streaming service except for YouTube.
To many tabs open = crash.
Running Windows Update = crash (even if the system gets succesfully updated after the reboort the system will crash several times)
Sometimes when system is idle it will crash (other days it will remain on for hours)
Running Ubuntu from usb for too long = crash.

On a sidenote:

Other than the CPU fan and PSU fans my system has no other additional fans.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

Lance

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Sounds like power issues, either power supply or wall outlet voltage being low. Never heard of Sweex power supply, and could not find ant test reports on the unit. I did find a site in the U.K. (idealo) that sells them ,and they are over priced in my opinion, could have purchased a Corsair on the same site for lee money.

Xttony

Distinguished
Try clearing the CMOS settings and then try again.
Make sure you have the memory timings, voltage right
If that not works update bios.
IF YOU DONOT KNOW HOW TO DO IT PROPERLY DO NOT DO IT.

ltvx

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Dear Knightdog65 and Xttony,

Thank you for your quick replies.
Like I said tried two different PSU's one which was 400w and the other 650w but they were both by sweex. I will go ahead and connect my system to another wall outlet and report back. As for the CMOS settings I already cleared that once I'm going to test my system with different RAM modules.

Pegger 3D

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I'm with Xttony,

I think your mobo does not like that high of ram voltage, becomes unstable and shuts down.

:sol:

Xttony

Distinguished

Also try plugging rams into different ram slots. You may never know what ram combination will work for you.