Problem with new Corsair PSU and Video card

McCoyAz

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I've recently bought a EVGA Geforce GTX560 SC and a Corsair TX650M to upgrade my HP Pavilion Elite HPE-170f. After installing the new video card and power supply, whenever I hit the power button it lights up, the fans on everything start to run for a few seconds then the system shuts down and restarts up again and stays on, but nothing happens...nothing on the monitor, doesn't sound like the hard drive is working either. The computer just goes dead except for the fans running.

So far I've tried, reconnecting everything, uninstalled and reinstalled the new video card and PSU, checking the connections to make sure everything is nested. I've also tried hooking up my old video card to the new PSU and got the same problem. Then I tried putting all the old components (video card and PSU) back in to make sure I didn't mess anything else up and the system worked fine. I then tried returning the new PSU and bought the same one, to see maybe if I bought a bad PSU, and it still does the same thing. Unless, I'm incredibly unlucky...I don't think it's a bad PSU.

I'm pretty new to upgrading hardware. I've only installed RAM here and there, and a video card a few years back. Here are the specs and links for my system:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147092
Windows 7
Intel Core i7 920
64 bit Quad-Core Processor
9GB DDR3
1TB SATA HD
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260

And these are the specs for my new video card and power supply:

Corsair TX650M Enthusiast Series Modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139031&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-Corsair-_-17139031

Geforce GTX560 2048MB GDDR5 Superclocked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130662

Thanks for any help and support.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Check the color code wiring on the 24 pin motherboard power cable between the new PSU and the old PSU. I don't think HP does this, but Dell used to use non-standard PSUs. They were wired slightly different than std. PSUs.

Btw, If your old 460W PSU handled the GTX 260 OK, it will handle the GTX 560 SC just fine. The 260 actually draws more wattage than the 560.

McCoyAz

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Thanks, I'll compare both the 24 pin motherboard cable on both the PSUs.

If my old PSU can handle the 560, do you know what kind of adapter/converter I would need to buy because the 260 and my old PSU has only one 6 pin cable directly going into my old video card? The 560 seems to need to need two 6 pin connections to plug into the PSU.

Thanks for your help, btw :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The graphics card pkg should come with Molex to PCIe power adapters to use any extra molex not in use from the PSU. If your card is bought used and doesn't come with the 'extras', you can get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198022&Tpk=molex%20to%20pcie

Btw, here is a PSU calculator that you can use to judge the size PSU you need for the devices it will be feeding.
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If the only change was the video card (assuming the 2nd PSU is OK), then perhaps lacking the 2nd PCIe 6 pin connector is causing issues. The card won't function without both connectors.

RustyKoolaid

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
BTW, I did attempt to use the provided Molex to PCIE adapters and the issue continues.
I will do some research on the new PSU unit and let you know if I come up with anything.

Thanks again for your post McCoy and your input as well clutchc

RustyKoolaid

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

I have Installed the 560 Ti with both PCIe power connections from the new PSU and the failure to POST remains.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Did you verify the wiring at the 24 pin connectors between the new and old PSUs to be sure it is the same? The color code should be good enough. But if you want to check voltage, use a PSU tester: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007539&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=psu%20tester&Page=1&PageSize=20

Or (if you don't want to buy one of them, but have a VOM meter) short the green (pin 16) and any black wire on the 24 pin connector and the PSU will power up. Then check voltages at the wires according to this sketch: http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml
Use a meter to read the voltages to any black (gnd) wire. Verify the new PSU has the same voltages as the old one.

If all checks OK, it might be a bad video card.

RustyKoolaid

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Update: So I tested the original PSU and it boots correctly. I cannot get the corsair PSU to function at all. I ran the suggested power test clutchc suggested and it looks like I will need 325watts (not at peak). This is why I decided to upgrade the PSU in the first place.
(new 560ti card, new Samsung 240GB SSD) I guess I am going to try and run my original PSU (with Molex to PCIE) for now and see if I can exchange my Corsair PSU for a different brand.

I'll let you know if my current PSU can handle the power needs.

RustyKoolaid

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
imagezue.jpg

It looks like it is stating do not exceed 385w.

Sorry, I am responding from a mobile device, so I do not have all of my system specs but, I did snap a pick of my PSU unit specs. See link above.

I am running the gtx560ti card (one of the PCIE power sources coming from a Molex x2 to PCIE 6 pin and the other PCIE 6 pin coming straight from the PSU) , 1 DVDRW, 1 5,200 HD, 1 7,200 HD Blk caviar, and 1 Samsung SSD.

Thanks again for any advice, it's safe to say you have a lot of good community karma coming your way.

Rusty

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Man, that's marginal. The +12V(a) rail is no doubt the PCIe power connector's rating. And it's right at 16A. But, as you say, you're having to add to that with a molex-to-PCIe from another rail. Since you don't have too much else demanding high amperage from the +12V (b and c) rails, you might get by. Here's what normally happens if you overload your PSU; you will experience random shutdowns or reboots when it can't keep up. At that point you will know you've exceeded your PSU's ability. (The PSU has a UL approved logo, so I don't expect any catastrophes.)
But that doesn't explain the problem with the (2) new PSUs. Something else is at play here, but I can't put my finger on it... I still wonder about proprietary wiring.

RustyKoolaid

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
As am I,

I am doing a clean W7 install on the SSD. I have all the latest drivers on the secondary hd, after install and bringing her up to date... I figure a battlefield 3 run will she how she does on amp output and stability. If she seems stable after that I'll run some benchmarks.

Ultimately, I need to return that PSU for a new one. I am just hoping I can find one that will function with this HP. Otherwise I am looking at a new case and motherboard... And we all know how it tends to snowball into your wallet from there.

I'll keep posting... Thanks for the help again.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
OK. That's an Asus made X58 board. And with it being a late model (I should have known from the i7-XXX that it would be.), I don't think there's much chance of the wiring being non-std. There goes that idea...

It's hard to believe you'd get 2 defective PSUs in a row. But I guess it's possible.

tarpon31

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Just want to let you all know that have the HP desktops with power supply issues that the fault is with the Pegatron IPMTB-TK motherboard that is in your desktop's.

There is a weird compatibility issue that prevents many aftermarket power supplies from working with this motherboard and no one seems to know exactly why.

I have attempted to install every current model of Seasonic and Corsair power supplies with wattage rating's from 600 watts and up and only two have worked witch are the Corsair CX600 V2 and the Corsair HX 650...none of the Corsair TX and AX series work and none of the HX series over the HX650 work and non of the seasonic's worked at all.

I have not tried any other brands but just giving you guys a heads up. If you have an HP computer and plan to keep it I highly reccomend the Corsair HX650 as this supply has been the best one that has worked with HP desktops with the Pegatron IPMTB-TK motherboard.

RustyKoolaid

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Thanks Tarpon,

I have decided to pick up a case, mobo, new ram, and another 256 SSD (for raid) and call it a day. 
These PC manufacturers are ultimately going to... and continue to... hurt their stock holders by keeping their current practices while only strengthening quality prebuilt form factors from the very few others (apple). 

It's sad because the general public should have somewhere to go if they are interested in purchasing a system with the power and functionality only us builders typically can achieve at decent price.

The days of buying cut rate, dated components of yesterday to fill their "high end workstation model" will soon be over. Why do consumers who don't know any better (clean OS install the day you bring it home) have to deal with the bloatware and gorilla marketing is beyond me. Do they want everyone to buy a Mac? 
It is truly sad because PC hardware is FAR and AWAY superior to apple desktops.
This is why the general public has a bad taste in their mouths when it comes to that PC they have at home.

HP, SONY, DELL, they will continue to drop as a factor in home computing... Much like their support for their own products did long ago.

Thanks again, it's forum contributors like you guys who are truly the support service of products from these bloated manufacturers who choose to cut their bottom line rather than support their products.

Sorry for the rant,

Rusty