Sign in with
Your question

Old K9A2 Platinum with new Phenom 2 1100T?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2012 3:48:25 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if putting an Phenom II 1100T into my five year old K9A2 Platinum motherboard has created more problems than it solved. Is the motherboard creating a performance bottleneck? How much of the Phenom's potential is being wasted by installing it in this old motherboard and would I see significant performance gains by replacing it? The computer is used for recording audio in Cubase.

Thanks for any insight.
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 4:02:10 PM

before buying that processor make sure your older motherboard is compatible with the processor, you will probably have to update the bios
m
l
December 3, 2012 4:24:48 PM

alvine said:
before buying that processor make sure your older motherboard is compatible with the processor, you will probably have to update the bios

Already done. I was pleasantly surprised that MSI updated the bios to accommodate the 1100T so I didn't hesitate to upgrade the CPU. I'm wondering about the CPU being hobbled in any way by the motherboard even with the bios update.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 4:29:14 PM

You should always look up the CPU support list before buying a new CPU for your computer. Often a BIOS update is required, however, in your case that CPU is not listed on either version of that motherboard.

Here is the CPU support list for your board.
K9A2 Platinum CPU Support list
K9A2 Platinum V2 CPU Support list
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 4:35:28 PM

optofonik said:
Already done. I was pleasantly surprised that MSI updated the bios to accommodate the 1100T so I didn't hesitate to upgrade the CPU. I'm wondering about the CPU being hobbled in any way by the motherboard even with the bios update.

Well, as long as it works, then you should be able to get excellent performance out of it. The older motherboard might hold the CPU back slightly but it won't be by much (probably less than 5%). Unless you are planning to spend a lot of money for a very small increase in performance, it's not worth it to upgrade the motherboard and RAM to one that uses DDR3.
m
l
!