Closed Solved

Ivy bridge/ Sandy bridge

I'm building a new PC and I decided to go with intel. I finished my build. But then I came across the question. Should I wait for ivy bridge? I am buying a ASROCK extreme3 gen3 mobo(supports ivy and pci-e 3.0) I picked that so if in the future I wanted to upgrade I could. My question is should I wait for ivy bridge? Will I see a huge proformance increase over the i5-2500k or i7-2600k?

Part 2- should I get an i7-k series or i5-k series(of either ivy or sandy?) whats people's opinion on which is worth the money/proformance ratio.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bridge sandy bridge
  1. Hello Kristafis;

When you say 'I finished my build' and then ask 'should I wait for ivy bridge' - are you telling you have NOT finished your build?
  2. "finished my build" as in I have everything except a processo and mobo. So techincally its "NOT" done. Sorry. I should have been more specific.
  3. kristafis said:
    Will I see a huge proformance increase over the i5-2500k or i7-2600k?
    Not a 'huge' performance increase.

Intel's Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge Benchmarks Leaked
  4. How much are you in a hurry to finish up? April is still a ways off.
  5. Well, After reading more into that article I'd say it's not amazingly better.
  6. Best answer
    Maybe something on the order of 10-15% for the CPU alone.
    When you think that most games get GPU limited before CPU limiting kicks in - you can make a pretty good case for not waiting.
  7. Don't bother waiting if you need/want the new system now. You will not be disappointed with Sandy Bridge.

A few advantages of Ivy Bridge (Desktop):

Better CPU Performance
    Better Quick Sync
    Much lower TDP (~20%)
    PCIE 3.0
    Thunderbolt
    Integrated USB 3.0
    Similar pricing to Sandy Bridge

Whether these features are important enough to merit waiting is up to you.
  8. Best answer selected by Kristafis.
  9. Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm gonna go with the Sandy bridge and maybe in a year or so I could easily upgrade if I felt the need too, considering the Motherboards support.
  10. I would have done the same in your position.
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge Intel i7 Intel i5