Solved

How Good is the A8-3850/3870k? Please reply

I'm building a PC for my bro. I'm thinking of using an APU instead of a CPU, and probably upgrading later on. so the 2 APUs came to mind (in the title). Are they good? How is their performance?

my bro likes to game. I dont plan on making a gaming PC yet, but i do plan on upgrading the PC (adding better GPU) sometime later. meanwhile, i hope that the A8's graphics are good enough. When i do want to upgrade, what GPU should i get? Which GPU will work best with the a8, and not be held back by it?

My bro likes to play Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, skyrim. We play single monitor, at 1080p.

Which of those 2 APUs do u recommend, and what GPU will work best with it when i do upgrade?
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good 3850 3870k reply
  1. You should know that non of those IGP in those Apu's are capable to let you play BF3, The part of CPU is okay both are overclokeable the A8370K is the easiest for overclocking. Also if you are planing to do gaming then you should change the APU for other one with memory cache L3 because it boosts the fps in almost all games, there are the Phenom II and FX Procesors or all of those from Intel i3,i5 & i7. and pick from the HD 6770 an up with Amd and with Nvidia GTX550TI and up.
  2. The above poster has basically said it perfectly.

You should not use an APU if you want to play BF3 or Skyrim.
  3. if he is fine with low- medium, he can run skyrim but probably not bf3
  4. esrever said:
    if he is fine with low- medium, he can run skyrim but probably not bf3

Nobody is happy with low/medium graphics. It comes down to how much money you're willing to shell out.
  5. Blandge said:
    Nobody is happy with low/medium graphics. It comes down to how much money you're willing to shell out.

many people game on consoles and play with low-medim graphics.
  6. esrever said:
    many people game on consoles and play with low-medim graphics.

That's because consoles have some key advantages over a PC that play into this. The most important of which is price, which only strengthens to my earlier statement. Ask any console player if they would spend $100-$200 more on their console to have better graphics. There's only two possible responses to that, "Yes!" or "No, I'm broke."

Beyond that is the social aspect of consoles, being able to play with your friends. Obviously online multiplayer is far superior on a PC.
  7. I play online multiplay just as well on PC with steam and skype/vent.

I see no problem with getting a pc with a A8 to play on console level of graphics.
  8. esrever said:
    I play online multiplay just as well on PC with steam and skype/vent.

I think we are on the same page. I was referring to consoles enabling you to invite friends over and play split screen. This is generally not an option on PC. Let my clarify that I meant online multiplayer is better on PC because of the use of dedicated servers and better hardware on PCs enabling larger battles.

esrever said:
    I see no problem with getting a pc with a A8 to play on console level of graphics.

The problem is that you aren't fully utilizing the PC environment because you cannot even play the latest games. He may as well get a $200 console + a $250 netbook if he wants console graphics.

I agree that if he doesn't have the money to get Core i or a Phenom and a discrete card then Llano is the logical choice.
  9. so, just to clarify, i wont get good settings on A8, even if i upgrade and get a better GPU later on? if so, then should i just wait for an A10? Right now, im just looking at APU solutions. I already have a dedicated Gamer PC for me, so yeah.

I Heard that you can SLI A8 with a HD 6*** discrete card, and get good graphics. I already have an HD 6950. If i get the A8, build the PC, and SLI the HD 6950, then what settings will i be able to play those games above, and what framerate

also, thanks to all of you...your comments so far have been very helpful.
  10. You can't crossfire with the 6950. It would be a much better choice to get an i3-2100 or phenom cpu if you are going to use the 6950 later on.
  11. mahin1islam said:
    so, just to clarify, i wont get good settings on A8, even if i upgrade and get a better GPU later on? if so, then should i just wait for an A10? Right now, im just looking at APU solutions. I already have a dedicated Gamer PC for me, so yeah.

I Heard that you can SLI A8 with a HD 6*** discrete card, and get good graphics. I already have an HD 6950. If i get the A8, build the PC, and SLI the HD 6950, then what settings will i be able to play those games above, and what framerate

also, thanks to all of you...your comments so far have been very helpful.

As amuffin stated you cannot crossfire Llano with a 6950. There are compatibility issues that limit which discrete video cards can be paired with the integrated graphics. The general rule is that the discrete card must be less than or equal to the on-board graphics processor. A quick search of Google has produced the following. Can anybody confirm or deny if this is correct?

Quote:
    The graphics controllers on the A8 (HD 6550D IGP) and A6-series (HD 6530D IGP) processors are compatible with any AMD graphics card based off of the Turks and Caicos cores (HD 6670, HD 6570 and HD 6450) while the HD 6410D IGP in the A4 branded APUs will only work with the HD 6450 and HD 6350 cards.

But you CAN upgrade to crossfire with a lower level card. This link to Anandtech's review of Llano gives an early benchmark of asymmetric crossfire performance. If an APU is what you want then it WILL play most games at playable framerates, but a dedicated CPU + discrete video card will produce a much better result.

Trinity will not be out until summer, so you will have to decide if it's worth the wait.
  12. Blandge said:

The problem is that you aren't fully utilizing the PC environment because you cannot even play the latest games. He may as well get a $200 console + a $250 netbook if he wants console graphics.

I agree that if he doesn't have the money to get Core i or a Phenom and a discrete card then Llano is the logical choice.

Your pc would be faster than a netbook and deliver better gaming than a $200 console at $450.
  13. Best card you can pair with the A8 is the HD 6670. With dual-graphics, it will give performance similar to an HD 6770.
  14. Best answer
    Yeah, Llano APUs only allows you to CrossFire with at most the Radeon HD 6670. Anything beyond that and the integrated graphics is disabled. Therefore, installing a Radeon HD 6950 will not take advantage of Llano's graphics core.

SLI is nVidia cards only.

I would go with either the i3-2100 or i5-2300 CPU. There is no upgrade path for Llano beyond the A8-3870k. It's successor, Trinity, will use a different socket (FM2) and cannot be installed in a motherboard meant for Llano APUs (socket FM1). Intel's Core i3-2100 is a very good CPU on a budget for games; better than Llano. You can also upgrade to a faster socket 1155 CPU in the future. However, don't wait too long to upgrade because once Intel releases Haswell next year they will stop producing socket 1155 CPUs (Sandy Bridge and the soon to be released Ivy Bridge).

Ivy Bridge CPUs should be readily available thru the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014. However, it's always a good idea check on any news about shortages after the release of Haswell.
  15. Best answer selected by mahin1islam.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs GPUs