Sign in with
Your question

I am confusing myself, plz help

Last response: in Systems
October 31, 2011 2:37:02 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: (Close to Black Friday so I can get some good deals)

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-650) Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (gaming (yes, BF3 & Skyrim), surfing the internet, watching 1080p movies/TV, outputting to 32" 1080p HDTV)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com, other well-knowns, just want best price)

Country of Origin: (I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy...um...USA)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (I am posting a tentative list so you can see what i'm aiming for)

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe (If I can, but as long as the parts are decent it's not a necessity)

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe (probably not within my budget now, but maybe later)

Monitor Resolution: I think 1920x1080 is the most I need

Additional Comments: (Keep it secret...keep it safe...)

Ok folks, here goes. I have been researching this new build (my first) so much that i'm now very confused. I have 5 wishlists on Newegg with five different builds, each with a different processor (AMD Phe X4 955, AMD A8-3850, Intel i5-2500k, Intel 13-2105, Intel i3-2125). What I have settle on is the list below. It does not include a GPU, but only because I will add one a couple weeks later once I save some more money. So please tell me if you think this build will be god enough for new games like BF3 and Skyrim on 1920x1080 with fairly high settings (but no 4xAA and all that junk). I don't need a "future proof" rig, as I plan on upgrading every 8-10 months (which is why I opted for the Z68 Mobo). I am aiming for best performance I can get for $600-700.

Intel Core i3-2125 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Dual Core w/ HD 3000 Graphics ($159)

GIGABYTE GA-Z68M-D2H LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ($95) (Has 2 PCIE 2.0 x16, so I can add SLI/Crossfire later if needed)

Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Memory ($25)

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800AAJS 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ($50) (will add a larger HD later but prices are ridiculous now)

APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case ($25)

Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2SB 500W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply ($40)

Hanns_G HL227DBB 21.5" LED monitor 5ms Full HD 250 cd/m2 ($110)

These components are $525 (shipped) from Newegg.

Remember, add a Radeon 5850/6870 or a GTX 560Ti to the specs for gaming purposes. I think I can save $175 for a GPU in two weeks. (Also any suggestions on a good GPU are welcome)

Thx in advance. I am making myself crazy over this thing.

More about : confusing plz

October 31, 2011 3:03:48 PM

Looks good. You could also look at gtx 460 for a cheaper graphics that should provide adequate performance for skyrim/bf3. Don't forget to add the 100 for windows unless you get the student discount and the optical drive.
October 31, 2011 3:47:08 PM

There's nothing wrong with that system... You seem like your gonna rush to just save $175 for a card.... is there any reason you can't wait a few more weeks to buy something else? other than the obvious (can't wait anymore :)  )

One thing I learned is NEver RUSH when your gonna build your own rig... You'll be pleased with the final purchase knowing it's exactly what you wanted...
Related resources
November 1, 2011 9:44:54 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.

@crewton

Yeah, I already have a copy of Windows 7 that I previously bought. I'm glad I did cause if I had to buy it now it would totally break my budget. :) 

@rob423

Yeah, the only reason i'm rushing to get the base system built is because I want to take advantage of any Black Friday deals that are coming up. Newegg is already starting their Black November deals, so I think I might be able to save about 50 bucks with some of the deals (I might have to change the manufacturers slightly), which I can then put into the GPU.

Plus it's just time for a new computer anyway, so there's no point in waiting. I'm very exited. No more crappy crap Dell laptop for me. :p 

Just one last question. Does it matter whether I choose SLI or Crossfire? Is one considered better than the other?
November 1, 2011 11:49:37 AM

Yea I hear ya... I mean think of the Xmas sales? or even new years sales? lol hmmmm what to do, what to do! : )
November 1, 2011 12:53:52 PM

SLI/CF both scale well now. Just go with the card you want.
November 1, 2011 12:59:17 PM

That psu is a hazard ready to happen. If you browse the forum you will see i am right.
The hdd you picked it too small and it's performance is nothing special.
The i3 2100 is fine for you. If you want to go the extra mile then go to i5. There is hardly a reason for that either.
For this processor you don't need a z68 mobo. An h61 or h67 is more than enough for what you want.
I don't know the hanns monitor you picked. There are cheap 2ms asus monitors that won't go bad on you or your eyes.
You mention crossfire. That won't happen with this psu. For your budget you either forget the xfire option or you compromise so much that in the end you got a computer of lesser quality.
GFX you can't go wrong with a 6950. Perfect budget cards and you can shave off the money from cpu and mobo for it.
The computer case says micro. It might not fit your components. Gamma classic for a few more bucks will fit everything nicely in it.
November 1, 2011 10:38:53 PM

vx53c said:
That psu is a hazard ready to happen. If you browse the forum you will see i am right.
The hdd you picked it too small and it's performance is nothing special.
The i3 2100 is fine for you. If you want to go the extra mile then go to i5. There is hardly a reason for that either.
For this processor you don't need a z68 mobo. An h61 or h67 is more than enough for what you want.
I don't know the hanns monitor you picked. There are cheap 2ms asus monitors that won't go bad on you or your eyes.
You mention crossfire. That won't happen with this psu. For your budget you either forget the xfire option or you compromise so much that in the end you got a computer of lesser quality.
GFX you can't go wrong with a 6950. Perfect budget cards and you can shave off the money from cpu and mobo for it.
The computer case says micro. It might not fit your components. Gamma classic for a few more bucks will fit everything nicely in it.

Ok, i'll look into the PSU. I was just aiming for a decent one that won't crap out on me since I won't be overclocking or anything.

As for the Z68 Mobo, the reason I went with that over the H61/H67 is that all of the research I read said that only the Z68 supported the new Intel on-board (or on-chip) graphics. Since I won't have a video card right away, I wanted to make sure that I get the use of those graphics.

Similarly, I went with the 2125 over the 2100 because of the difference in graphics. The 2100 has the HD 2000 graphics, while the 2125 has the HD 3000. I know it probably won't make that much of a difference, but the research I read says that the 2000 graphics are crap.

With the discrete GPU, the 6950 is definitely not a "budget" card for me. The lowest price I see is $245. That's almost 1/2 the cost of the other components combined. My budget is really around $180 at the most. Since I am waiting to buy the GPU anyway, I guess I could wait a couple more weeks and save the money for the 6950, but I am sorta impatient. :) 

Thanks for the response. And more info is appreciated.
November 1, 2011 10:59:21 PM

impatient means trouble good luck with that you need no help!

November 2, 2011 2:12:41 AM

vx53c said:

Actually, after further research, you were right. The H61 and H67 mobos actually support the Intel HD graphics. That was the main reason I wanted the Z68. But now I can spend a little less and get this one:

ASRock H61M LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ($70)
!