No graphic signal from motherboard graphic card

mhguda

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hello,
On my partner's computer we have both onboard graphics (VGA only) and a graphics card. The graphics card supplies the video via HDI. Everything worked fine until today, when all of a sudden on power on the PC gets power, fan runs, HD lights are lit, but no video signal to monitor, not from the graphic card and also not from the onboard. What can I do to fix this?

sounds like bad mobo to me. have you tried a different monitor and also the card in another computer?

mhguda

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

No, to both - a bit difficult at the moment. However, the monitor seems good to me - and there is no sound, after all, from the HDs. There is just one beep, then nothing. The fans are running, everything seems to get power (dvddrive opens when button is pushed) but nothing else. I guess we'll take it into the repair shop & see about the motherboard.

I'd willing to bet its the mobo

mhguda

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
The culprit turned out to be the graphics card, even when not selected for output. Once the repairshop person took it out, the system worked fine with onboard graphics. We decided to put in a new graphics card, and the system works fine again. Strange that the defect graphics board would permit the system from booting even when not used - just sitting in its slot.

mhguda

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
This problem is now resolved, and can be put to rest. There is no best answer, really, since it was resolved by replacing the graphic card, which was suggested in the repair shop independent of this forum.