EpicLegend86

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I am in the market for a new build with tax season comming up soon, and Im not sure what a good MoBo is at this point. I intend to get the i5 3570k.... maybe 3770k if I can justify the extra $100 for minor gaming performance increase if any. I have had my eye on the Sabertooth z77 because I like the style of it. I would like to keep an ALL black interior theme going, not that important but I plan on spending $2000-$2500 so I should get what I want right?? So far my PC will consist of:

Sabertooth Z77 Mobo (unless another of similar or lesser price is recommended)
i5 3570k (will OC to at least 4.2)
16 GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz (CAS Latency 8)
2x 120GB Mushkin SSD (Raid0 (for windows 8 and longer loading Games/apps)
2x 1T WD HDD (raid 0(for storage obviously)
Corsair Professional series AX850 ( I want cabble management with a full modular PSU for better case air cooling)
Dark Knight II CPU Cooler
1x Probably MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680 4GB
And of course the very sexy NZXT Phenom 820 Full Tower case.

Any other suggestions/advice, especially for the Mobo would be greatly appreaciated.

NOTE: This will be mainly for gaming.

Solution
Good choice on the card, Vapor X and Twin Frozr are some of the best Custom coolers on the market.
I'd reccomend a single 240GB SSD, way less headache with the RAID configurations and it's less confusing.
Sabertooth z77 is an ok board, not very expandable but it's pretty good.

For gaming the i5 3570k is more than enough, however I'd actually reccomend the i5 2500k because it doesn't have an upper heat threshold, meaning by can go way past 4.5GHz+, whereas with the Ivy Bridges Intel put an upper heat ceiling to disallow unauthorized unlocking of the locked non k processors.

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Good choice on the card, Vapor X and Twin Frozr are some of the best Custom coolers on the market.
I'd reccomend a single 240GB SSD, way less headache with the RAID configurations and it's less confusing.
Sabertooth z77 is an ok board, not very expandable but it's pretty good.

For gaming the i5 3570k is more than enough, however I'd actually reccomend the i5 2500k because it doesn't have an upper heat threshold, meaning by can go way past 4.5GHz+, whereas with the Ivy Bridges Intel put an upper heat ceiling to disallow unauthorized unlocking of the locked non k processors.

Solution
for your entire build

-sabertooth is a total scam. heat shield traps heat.
-16gb of ram is useless in gaming. fast ram is also useless since games dont use system ram much
-no difference between regular drive vs single drive in day to day operations, therefore raid 0 useless
-same goes for the hard drive. decked out, 2 sec difference
-full modularity is useless if you are going to use all the attached cables from a semi modular unit
-get a proper heatsink like a noctua d14. expensive and brown, but is a beast. dont like brown, get a phanteks cooler
-ivy bridge is perfectly fine. i hit a 4.5ghz with 1.2v with 60c. 2500k will have to hit 4.8ghz to hit 4.5ghz ivy speeds.
-680 is useless when 670 performs the same
-spending 2500 on a gaming rig is useless when a 1500 performs the same

get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qOrI

-samsung ram looks like crap in terms of specs, but read customer reviews and how far they can get their ram. just try to keep it at stock voltage to avoid damaging the ram chips

EpicLegend86

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
For my entire build

-Sabertooth is being replaced with an ASRock Z77 OC Formula
-16GB is what is desired, and speeds make a world of difference in many day to day applications
-Regular drive vs Single drive!?!?!? Raid 0 certainly not useless when attempting to obtain the smallest amount of latency when online gaming, allowing a person to react faster. And of course convience of very short to no load times.
-HDD's used for storage of large high quality BluRay movies certainly will benefit from RAID0
-Full modular not NEEDED but wanted, and cable management for case air flow IS NEEDED, considering I can get the same quality, same capacity non-modular for the same price, why not include cable management.
-Heatsink.... Picked one I like, and will keep the CPU cool enough for a 4.0-4.5GHz OC.
-GTX 680 and GTX 670 do NOT perform the same, close but not quite. And an OC'd 680 can't be touched by an OC'd 670.
-$2500 for a gaming rig? I guess its easy to settle for something weak and underpowered when you don't care whether you win or lose.

-you are not going to do 4.8ghz, therefore oc formula = useless
-im sure you can see a nano second in speed differences
-im sure 0.1ms makes a huge difference. you are bottlenecked by your internet before you can even make use of a SSD in gaming
-SSDs dont increase gaming performance, only load times, which are extremely short with one ssd
-i doubt people even watch blu-rays. im sure 0.5 seconds make a huge difference when you load a movie
-bullcrap. when you use all the cables, you dont save any space
-you dont have a high performing cooler, therefore, your build is messed up because of that
-im sure 5-8fps is worth 100 dollars. then looks at gtx 670 directcu2 top. performs faster than a stock 680. what now?
-lol. i has a build that is around 1300 and can max everything out at 1080p. what 1000 dollars more gets you is tearing on your screen with 10 more fps.
-im wondering if you are actually a dedicated gamer when you have no mechanical keyboard and sound card in your rig

EpicLegend86

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Trololololol

- Corsair Vengeance K90 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- Razer Naga Epic MMO Gaming Mouse
- Cyborg R.A.T.9 Gaming Mouse
- ASUS VG Series 27" 3D Monitor
- not a gamer? psh, all I need now is a system that is only bottlenecked by my internet, that way I know I need nothing more in my PC.
-Loading BD movies take no time at all even on my current system, transferring/editing them is a different story.
- Cant give the 680 model it performs "faster than"
- SSD/HDD's don't increase graphical performance, you are certainly right. They do increase performance/latency between what happens from the keyboard, the mouse, to the drive to the screen.
- What I get with $100 more expensive video card is reassurance of graphical quality and performance, and performance of 3D gaming and multi monitor setup.
- I have a Corsair TX750 Non modular PSU in my current PC, I have more than half the cables/ and extra length of the 5 USED cables stuffed in the front of the case, preventing use of a front fan slot.
- Some people don't mind coming in last, its ok when your PC can't keep up for the next gen of gaming.

-you do know that there are better keyboards than the corsair k90. and it still has mebrane keys
-you have google fibre?
-a 7970ghz performs even better
-latency from mouse and keyboard? its called using ps2 ports. lowest possible latency
-im sure 3fps makes a huge difference when you already have 60
-if you know how to cable, you can hide them. i dont have any extra cables even though i have a semi modular power supply. why, because the ones that are hard wired are used
-why are you using the rat 9? its wireless, and therefore your logic, means more latency

EpicLegend86

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I guess you don't understand the meaning of "want"
I'm not here to save money, I'm not here for criticism on what I "want".
I asked for advice for a Mobo, not knowing much info about the Z77 Sabertooth.

But if you were the true expert like you claim you would know a few things. But since you don't, let me educate you.

The RAT 9 Gaming mouse has 0 latency technology, first of all. Second, I got the mouse for Sniper elite, I don't play other FPS games. which I don't play online, so not worried about the latency for it anyway. I'm an MMORPG gamers, So I use the Razer Naga Epic.

Second, 3fps does matter, or maybe an additional 57fps being how I play on a 3D monitor, which a true expert would know it would be 120Hz, not 60Hz, which means I play 2D at 120fps, Something a GTX 670 has a hard time reaching. Also the stock 7970 does not out perform the stock 680, look at benches and learn your products in order to properly give advice, to to prevent giving false information.

The Corsair K90 is not about performance, its about style, I like the way it looks, I like the way it feels, and its on par performance wise with more expensive keyboards. Though it may not be the best, it does exactly what I need it to do.

You clearly know nothing about PSU's, look up a non modular PSU and tell me where u connect all those cables. Again, I have the TX750, I have 1 HDD, 1DVD drive, 1 Mobo, and 1 GPU, I use 2 cables on the mobo, 1 on GPU, 1 for HDD, 1 for Dvd drive.... thats leaves 15 cables laying there doing nothing but taking up space and unable to hide due to lengths and thickness of cables, there simply is not enough room in a mid tower case to hide them.

Google Fiber? No I don't use the unreliable service, I use Comcast 105Mb/s which is more than enough considering most downloading done cannot achieve the nearly 10MB/s downloads even steam only achieves roughly 5MB/s, and you only need a connection of 300KB/s for online gaming, 1000KB/s recommended. So I'm good with a 10,000 KB/s speed.

- if you have zero latency, therefore you are saying that you can have a mouse that communicates with your computer faster than the speed of light. nice
-dude, a semi modular power supply =/= a non-modular power supply. go search up a semi-modular power supply. the hx750w v2 is a good example. you see only 2 cables phsycailly attached. the 24 and the 8pin. you are guarantteed to use those cables. you dont use it? hmm
-have you used a das ultimate? or by any chance a ibm model m?
-most mmos are not demanding. diablo 3 is not that demanding. the witcher 2 with uber sampliong is but you cant run it with 2 680s anyways

EpicLegend86

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Unbridled, Uninterrupted Game Experience
Utilizing zero latency 2.4Ghz wireless technology, the Saitek R.A.T.9 delivers a staggering 1ms response time to ensure that your lightning fast reactions remain lightning fast. Wireless receiver/Recharge dock in combination with 2 included custom built lithium-ion battery cells - One powers the R.A.T. while the other one charges in the dock - allows you to perform a 'hot swap' whenever and wherever needed for an uninterrupted, 24/7 always-on gaming experience.

Advertisement for RAT9^^^^^

Im under the impression that you are just stupid. Why not get a fully modular PSU? Why is it such a big deal for you? Are you Anti-Full Modular PSU? I will get what I damn well please, now get your ****** Canadian ass off my forum and go back to school or do some research you uneducated ***.