Some very special desktop icons

Hi there,

I hope that someone can help me with this.

I have some icons on my desktop that point to particular webpages and I have
recently been preparing for a re-install of windows. I have taken this
opportunity to have a clear out at the same time.

As part of my clear out I have deleted the folders containing these
particular icon files and I need to to get the pictures back.

Although I had it in mind to copy these icons this is virtually the last
thing that i have to do but when I try to copy them, they return to the
default web site icon which is not what I need.

After copying them the first time these icons on the desktop returned to the
default icon so I system restored and the picture icons came back but no
matter how I try to copy them the copies always revert to the default.

After trying to copy them the desktop icons usually revert to the default
icons as well but on a restart the pictures are back so I know that windows
has saved the picture icons somewhere but I can't find them.

It is very important to me that I have these particular picture icons as
they are how my four year old daughter interacts with the web to get to
certain sites and as she can't read yet she knows which icon is for which
website by the picture.

I know that I can use data recovery techniques/software to try to get these
files back and I am quite capable of doing that should it be necessary but
it seems a bit extreme when I know that windows has got them tucked away
somewhere and if I knew where then I could simply retrieve them.

I don't know if this is the right place to be asking for help with this and
please accept my apologies if it is not but I reasoned that a newsgroup
concerned with customising windows might just be the best place.

I really do hope that someone will be able to help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Darius

kelly

For the next time:

Custom icons are lost when you clean your cache.

These are generally known as favicons.ico (Favorite Icons) and they normally
will only last until your Internet Explorer Temp files are cleared.

This program will allow you to save the favicons.ico (Favorite Icons)
permanently in a different folder and re-associate your favorites with the
stored icons.

Workaround:

Navigate to the Temporary Internet Files, and drag the icons to the desktop
and rename them to whatever name you like.

Create a folder called Icon Selection. Move all of the renamed favicons to
this folder placed in the root directory of C. Right click on the Icon,
select Browse and navigate to your Icon Selection folder. Choose the
renamed favicon and click ok. These icons will be permanent.

When you right click on an icon, select browse and navigate to the Icon
Selection folder. Choose the renamed favicon you want and click ok. Your
customized icons will be permanent.

Troubleshooting Favorites
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_favorites.htm

--