Nikon D70 and Cobra 700AF flash

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 18, 2005 6:26:32 PM

I've acquired Cobra 700 AF flash (for nikon) from Ebay.
When I plug it into the hot shoe the flash-sync indicator on the top panel
blinks on and off. Acoording to the D70 manual this means the 'a
speedlight is connected which does not support iTTL flash' , fair enough,
but the indicator blinks even when I have the flashmode set to 'manual'

The shutter relase remains lock so long as the flash is connected.

Anyone got any ideas?
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:25:57 PM

Yes-don't buy things from ebay again.You should be suspicious if someone is
selling something used, chances are high that it is kaputt.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> I've acquired Cobra 700 AF flash (for nikon) from Ebay.
> When I plug it into the hot shoe the flash-sync indicator on the top panel
> blinks on and off. Acoording to the D70 manual this means the 'a
> speedlight is connected which does not support iTTL flash' , fair enough,
> but the indicator blinks even when I have the flashmode set to 'manual'
>
> The shutter relase remains lock so long as the flash is connected.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 8:28:48 PM

John Stolz wrote:

> I've acquired Cobra 700 AF flash (for nikon) from Ebay.
> When I plug it into the hot shoe the flash-sync indicator on the top panel
> blinks on and off. Acoording to the D70 manual this means the 'a
> speedlight is connected which does not support iTTL flash' , fair enough,
> but the indicator blinks even when I have the flashmode set to 'manual'
>
> The shutter relase remains lock so long as the flash is connected.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

Try setting the 'flash' custom setting to manual rather than iTTL. This
should only be for the internal flash but may also be affected by an
external flash.

Ronnie
April 18, 2005 9:49:41 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:25:57 +0300, Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:

> Yes-don't buy things from ebay again.You should be suspicious if someone is
> selling something used, chances are high that it is kaputt.
>
> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
> FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
> dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> ? "John Stolz" <china-rider@wanadoo.fr> ?????? ??? ??????
> news:p an.2005.04.18.12.26.20.445563@wanadoo.fr...
>> I've acquired Cobra 700 AF flash (for nikon) from Ebay.
>> When I plug it into the hot shoe the flash-sync indicator on the top panel
>> blinks on and off. Acoording to the D70 manual this means the 'a
>> speedlight is connected which does not support iTTL flash' , fair enough,
>> but the indicator blinks even when I have the flashmode set to 'manual'
>>
>> The shutter relase remains lock so long as the flash is connected.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?

I sold several bits of photo gear on ebay and none of it was kaput.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:49:42 PM

"John Stolz" <china-rider@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.04.18.15.49.39.689445@wanadoo.fr...
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:25:57 +0300, Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
>
>> Yes-don't buy things from ebay again.You should be suspicious if someone
>> is
>> selling something used, chances are high that it is kaputt.
>>
>> --
>> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

> I sold several bits of photo gear on ebay and none of it was kaput.

I've sold over $100,000 worth of camera equipment on ebay and none of it was
kaput.

I hate all generalizations :)
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:56:03 AM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:28:48 +0100, Ronnie Sellar wrote:

> John Stolz wrote:
>
>> I've acquired Cobra 700 AF flash (for nikon) from Ebay.
>> When I plug it into the hot shoe the flash-sync indicator on the top panel
>> blinks on and off. Acoording to the D70 manual this means the 'a
>> speedlight is connected which does not support iTTL flash' , fair enough,
>> but the indicator blinks even when I have the flashmode set to 'manual'
>>
>> The shutter relase remains lock so long as the flash is connected.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Try setting the 'flash' custom setting to manual rather than iTTL. This
> should only be for the internal flash but may also be affected by an
> external flash.
>
> Ronnie
I already tried this, but still no go.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:51:40 PM

John Stolz wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:28:48 +0100, Ronnie Sellar wrote:
>
>> John Stolz wrote:
>>
>>> I've acquired Cobra 700 AF flash (for nikon) from Ebay.
>>> When I plug it into the hot shoe the flash-sync indicator on the top
>>> panel
>>> blinks on and off. Acoording to the D70 manual this means the 'a
>>> speedlight is connected which does not support iTTL flash' , fair
>>> enough, but the indicator blinks even when I have the flashmode set to
>>> 'manual'
>>>
>>> The shutter relase remains lock so long as the flash is connected.
>>>
>>> Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>> Try setting the 'flash' custom setting to manual rather than iTTL. This
>> should only be for the internal flash but may also be affected by an
>> external flash.
>>
>> Ronnie
> I already tried this, but still no go.

Are you sure the flash is set to manual mode ? If it is, it sounds like the
flash or the connection to the flash may be faulty. :(

Ronnie
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:21:25 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:51:40 +0100, Ronnie Sellar wrote:

> John Stolz wrote:

>>> Try setting the 'flash' custom setting to manual rather than iTTL. This
>>> should only be for the internal flash but may also be affected by an
>>> external flash.
>>>
>>> Ronnie
>> I already tried this, but still no go.
>
> Are you sure the flash is set to manual mode ? If it is, it sounds like the
> flash or the connection to the flash may be faulty. :(
>
> Ronnie
Ronnie, Maybe I misunderstood - I thought you meant the D70 custom setting
for flash mode (which is set to manual, not iTTL). The flashgun itself
does not seem to have a 'manual' setting, it has an 'auto' indicator light
which does not light up when connected to the camera and the usual slidey
controls for distance, filmspeed and zoom, but n auto/manual switch

Any other ideas?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:21:26 PM

John Stolz wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:51:40 +0100, Ronnie Sellar wrote:
>
>> John Stolz wrote:

>>> I already tried this, but still no go.
>>
>> Are you sure the flash is set to manual mode ? If it is, it sounds like
>> the flash or the connection to the flash may be faulty. :(
>>
>> Ronnie
> Ronnie, Maybe I misunderstood - I thought you meant the D70 custom setting
> for flash mode (which is set to manual, not iTTL). The flashgun itself
> does not seem to have a 'manual' setting, it has an 'auto' indicator light
> which does not light up when connected to the camera and the usual slidey
> controls for distance, filmspeed and zoom, but n auto/manual switch
>
> Any other ideas?

I did mean the D70 menu setting but when you said you'd done that I wondered
about the flash itself. If the flash has no manual setting I think you are
scooped. The D70 won't work with a 'dedicated' flash unless it's iTTL
capable or set to manual mode.

The D70 menu will probably only drive the built in flash. This setting will
be overriden by whatever the connected external flash is set to.

If the flash has a 'non dedicated' auto setting, you may be able to use it
by taping over (and hence disconnecting) the dedicated contacts on the
flash foot ot hot shoe.

Sorry, i can't think of anything else you could try.
:(

Ronnie
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:07:04 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:27:42 +0100, Ronnie Sellar wrote:

> John Stolz wrote:

>>> Are you sure the flash is set to manual mode ? If it is, it sounds like
>>> the flash or the connection to the flash may be faulty. :(
>>>
>>> Ronnie
>> Ronnie, Maybe I misunderstood - I thought you meant the D70 custom setting
>> for flash mode (which is set to manual, not iTTL). The flashgun itself
>> does not seem to have a 'manual' setting, it has an 'auto' indicator light
>> which does not light up when connected to the camera and the usual slidey
>> controls for distance, filmspeed and zoom, but n auto/manual switch
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>
> I did mean the D70 menu setting but when you said you'd done that I wondered
> about the flash itself. If the flash has no manual setting I think you are
> scooped. The D70 won't work with a 'dedicated' flash unless it's iTTL
> capable or set to manual mode.
>
> The D70 menu will probably only drive the built in flash. This setting will
> be overriden by whatever the connected external flash is set to.
>
> If the flash has a 'non dedicated' auto setting, you may be able to use it
> by taping over (and hence disconnecting) the dedicated contacts on the
> flash foot ot hot shoe.
>
> Sorry, i can't think of anything else you could try.
> :(
>
> Ronnie
OK, thanks, looks like this is going back on ebay - funny though the
contacts on the shoe match perfectly - guess its more complicated than it
looks
Thanks anyway.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:07:05 PM

John Stolz wrote:

<BIG SNIP>

> OK, thanks, looks like this is going back on ebay - funny though the
> contacts on the shoe match perfectly - guess its more complicated than it
> looks
> Thanks anyway.

It is more complicated in that the D70 only supports iTTL as a 'dedicated'
flash mode. Older flashes will only support TTL (film based SLRs) or at
best dTTL (D100, D1X etc) and must be used on the D70 in full manual mode.
I've not seen the Cobra so I'm not sure how you would change it to manual
but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't. The only flashes I know of that
are iTTL capable are Nikons own SB600 and SB800. There may be 3rd party
ones available now but I don't know what they are.

Ronnie
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:07:06 PM

On 20 Apr 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Ronnie Sellar wrote:

> The only flashes I know of that
> are iTTL capable are Nikons own SB600 and SB800. There may be 3rd
> party ones available now but I don't know what they are.

Sigma's website says that their flashes are i-ttl compatible:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes.asp

I haven't used them (happy SB-600 user), just searched.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:35:07 +0100, Ronnie Sellar wrote:
> I've not seen the Cobra so I'm not sure how you would change it to manual
> but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't.

Me too, but that's the way it seems to be - there is an indicator light
on the back of the flash marked 'auto' (which doesn't light up), but no
switch or other means to manually select manual (as it were).
!