Future benefits of 3GB on GTX580?

Garp

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I've been thinking about forking out for a Palit GTX580 with the 3gb VRAM.

I only plan on using a single display, and I know the common position is that the extra RAM is practically useless unless I'm running multiples or super high res, but I haven't really read any informed opinions on its future applicability. I can only afford major upgrades once very 2 - 3 years, so I need something that will last.

My knowledge is limited, but based on the past five years or so it seems games are steadily utilising more and more VRAM, so while right now the 3GB is overkill, is it likely to put me in better standing one or two years down the track? The Palit card apparently has good OC potential, so I'm thinking about forking out the extra now, rather than SLI two lesser cards, to cash in on the extra RAM down the track and OC, with the possibility of a two way SLI when prices come down later on.

Sorry I know this discussion has been done to death, but I'm really interested in the longer term, and none of what I've read across the boards has really addressed that. Any thoughts?

Solution
You can use up to 3GB in 1920 1080, but you max out absoultly everything. Like GTV IV make depth of field the highest, AA highest, and texture detail highest and you can get close to using 3GB. But for practical use, 3GB isn't that necessary unless its cheap. I have MSI 580 Lightning, which is factory overclocked and after market coolers that I would recommend over a 3GB 580.

Garp

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Hmm good point. Better option might be to go with a 1.5GB with better cooling for OC. Argh, decisions. Thanks for the reply man.

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
You can use up to 3GB in 1920 1080, but you max out absoultly everything. Like GTV IV make depth of field the highest, AA highest, and texture detail highest and you can get close to using 3GB. But for practical use, 3GB isn't that necessary unless its cheap. I have MSI 580 Lightning, which is factory overclocked and after market coolers that I would recommend over a 3GB 580.

Solution

Zenthar

Distinguished
GTA IV is also probably the only game that does that too :p