Sign in with
Your question

Dead Powersource and blown fuse on motherboard

December 3, 2012 8:23:59 PM

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and i have joined in order to ask for your help.
Two days ago i turned off my pc normally and the next morning it just won`t start. After doing a little disassembling i`ve realized that the power source was gone. A little analysis and i found that 1 octocuplor and 2 resistors that were linking to one of the switching devices were burned. Picture here.

The next day i went and bought a new power supply, i`ve installed it and tried to start up the pc. It started up but in the first instant a fuse from the mother board made a flame and i instantly pulled the cord out. I`ve got the motherboard from the pc and examined it, i looked that the fuse was the only thing that reached a high temperature so i cleaned the spot and tried to start the pc having it assembled on the desk. Surprisingly it started and it works ok. Here the picture of the fuse location.

Now, my question is, what was the fuse that blown protecting? Should i replace it? Could the motherboard cause the early death of the powersupply?

Mentions:

1. The PC works fine, with full functionality, as far as i can tell.
2. The main power supply of my house is pretty unstable, lots and lots of power-falls.
3. My pc is 5 years old, never changed a thing since i`ve got it.
4. New powersource Rasurbo Silent&Power DLP-55.1, 550W , Old powersource: K-MEX PZ-500
5. I used a ampere meter to try and measure the current flow thought that blown fuse and it measured 0A and 5V.
6. The PC configuration is:

CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2133 MHz (8 x 267)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Broadwater P965
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (RV570)

Thank you very much for reading and i hope that you can give me an answer.
!