CM Hyper 212+ pull only?

baronmuadib

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Anyone tested the hyper 212 with just a single fan pulling through the heatsink? I of course bought some corsair vengeance thinking i would be the one person in the world who wouldnt have a clearance issue w the fan. And moving it up a an inch or so just looks dumb imo.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
I tested it once out of curiosity and it gave me about 3-5c higher temperatures under load on a phenom II 955, only tested 1 game which was DiRT 2 but it'd been more than that if I ran a more cpu intensive task, definetly not a good thing.

How many RAM sticks do you have? you could just move the sticks to the 2 slots farther from the cpu so that it doesn't collide with the heatsink anymore.

baronmuadib

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the info. I suppose i could have tried it myself not like it is going to fry anything. I imagine in that case ill just be takeing the dremel to the ram heatsink. Shoudnt be a huge issue. Id send it back but that seems a lot like waiting and i have an instant gratification disorder ;)

TheNismo1

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
...i have a cm212 plus with 2 fans in push/pull with the normal vengeance ram, just move the ram from slots 1&3 to slots 2&4 if u have only 2 sticks.

then just as an add on to that....y are u worried about it looking dumb?, imo lloking good comes second to performance/cooling...etc...

baronmuadib

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
oh im not really all that concerned about it "looking" dumb. Bad wording the clips for the fan just barely hold on (but they do) ill play around a bit and see what i come up with. I do have 4 sticks of 4gig. And it would be very nice to have push/pull. plus it would be a shame to take a dremel to my new ram.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I am running as we speak a Phenom II 955 @ 3.6ghz and I play games like The Witcher 2, Fallout NV, Skyrim, Metro 2033, MW2, Crysis, Portal, etc and my temps never go above 43c max temps when gaming. PS I am not running any fans on my Hyper 212+ it is completely passively cooled for over a year 24/7

dont make me laugh... the hyper doesnt have enough surface area to keep that cpu within thermal limits at max... especially oc'd...

if you have managed to run it then its likely the airflow in the case is compensating for lack of a fan on the cpu. but in a static air flow environment. your cpu would throttle or pop without a fan...

so please post a couple of pix of your internals with your pc turned on running prime 95... i thought you had a fx 8150...

jberenyi

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

I did a test and currently my computer is setup with a single fan pulling air through the heatsink. Its setup on the side of the heatsink that is closest to my case exhaust fan. No difference pushing from the RAM side or pulling from the rear case side. Personally I think it works better pulling a single fan. That's how radiators in cars are setup too. Go figure.