Memory Slots not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
My mobo- Asus P8P67-M ( was planning on a next year upgrade)

Okay heres what happened

2 weeks ago, I got 4 beeps from my motherboard, so I shifted my RAM around and got it working again

After 1 week of not switching on my computer, I got the 4 beeps again. However, this time, wherever I shift my 2x4 GB sticks (I even tried one stick at a time), nothing works. I have a feeling my memory slots have been damaged.

Is it a problem that is fixable? Or do I have to get a new mobo?

Any answers are appreciated, I will sure pick the best answer

My other specs-

I3 2100
HD 7850
Seasonic MI2II
Generic 2x4 GB RAM 1333 MHz

Roadkill325

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
If your motherboard isn't broken then this should be an easy fix. I've had the same problem before on quite a few different motherboards. Pretty much all you have to do is take out your RAM sticks then get some compressed air canister and clean out the slot. This is something that must be done ever so often or else the motherboard cannot read the RAM sticks properly and will refuse to boot and process memory. If this doesn't work then I don't know what to say.

If your looking into a new motherboard send me a message, that's my area of expertise :D .

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Now where to find a air canister...

D

Deleted member 217926

In the over 15 years I have been building computers not once have I ever had to remove RAM and " blow out the slot ". It's RAM not an Atari or Nintendo. Seriously that's one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted on these forums. No dirt can get in an occupied DIMM. If anything the only thing that could occur is oxidation and that's why the contacts are made of gold.

Did the computer just start giving memory errors out of the blue or did it happen from day one? RAM will usually either work forever or not work out of the box. The only way to know for sure is to test it.

Download memtest and mount the iso to a cd. Then boot from the burned disk to run memtest. You should run it for a minimum of 8 hours to fully test 8GB. Any errors at all mean you have a bad stick an you should RMA it.

Memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

Free program to mount the iso if you don't have something like Nero.

http://www.imgburn.com/

If you get errors with memtest then you can isolate the bad stick by repeating the test 1 stick at a time.

D

Deleted member 217926

No. And this thread is 5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS