Mystery Network Cables ?

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Ethernet Card
  • Cable
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 1, 2010 9:19:07 PM

Hi - just wondered if anyone could help me with 2 mystery cables I've found ?

They're terminated with standard ethernet plugs, but only pins 3, 4, 5 and 6 are wired in a straight through configuration, i.e. the same coloured wires go between each pin, i.e. black wire pin 3 to pin 3, green wire pin 4 to pin 4 and so on.

I know they won't support CAT5/5e/6 and they're not CAT3, so I'm a bit stumped.

Anyone got any ideas what they are and are used for ?

Thanks in advance ! :sol: 

More about : mystery network cables

December 2, 2010 3:21:05 PM

Phone connection, instrument connection. Maybe if you tell us where you found it would give a clue.
m
l
December 9, 2010 10:20:09 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Phone connection, instrument connection. Maybe if you tell us where you found it would give a clue.

I think they came with ISDN equipment years and years ago, basically I'm having a clear out of the computer/network stuff on eBay I've accumulated over the past 10 or so years, or they could be from ADSL stuff as well.

I don't think they actually came in a retail box I purchased at any point, just that I've picked them up somewhere along the line in the past.

Not much help I know, if I can't ID them I'll just bin them as without knowing what they are I can't rightfully sell them.

Thanks in advance for any help :sol: 
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2010 12:07:03 PM

I know that some Cisco terminal cables are straight-through CAT5 to RJ-45 connectors. Although, most of those usually have a serial male connector on the other end. Is the cable something like a light blue color? Is it flat?
m
l
December 9, 2010 12:42:10 PM

That makes sense for ISDN or even dsl.. basically a phone line using a cat 5 cable. Since the ISDN equipment would use a larger RJ-45 connector, you can use a network cable and just connect 4 wires.
m
l
December 12, 2010 9:17:20 AM

hang-the-9 said:
That makes sense for ISDN or even dsl.. basically a phone line using a cat 5 cable. Since the ISDN equipment would use a larger RJ-45 connector, you can use a network cable and just connect 4 wires.

Thinking about it you're probably right, I can't recall anything I ever bought that they came with, and it's a kicker that I can't remember where I 'acquired' them, but probably they're ISDN cables of some variety.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, cheers.
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:51:45 AM

actually i too had this question...but nice informational question ....thanks for sharing useful answers friends...

Regards,
john wise.

Male Enhancement Pills | Erection Pills | How To Last Longer In Bed

uerseya said:
Hi - just wondered if anyone could help me with 2 mystery cables I've found ?

They're terminated with standard ethernet plugs, but only pins 3, 4, 5 and 6 are wired in a straight through configuration, i.e. the same coloured wires go between each pin, i.e. black wire pin 3 to pin 3, green wire pin 4 to pin 4 and so on.

I know they won't support CAT5/5e/6 and they're not CAT3, so I'm a bit stumped.

Anyone got any ideas what they are and are used for ?

Thanks in advance ! :sol: 

m
l
August 29, 2011 8:19:09 AM

hollywoodlies said:
actually i too had this question...but nice informational question ....thanks for sharing useful answers friends...

So your post is not just an excuse to plug your web adverts then? Most of us get crap like that in Spam mails a dozen times a day and don't need to see links to the same rubbish here.

m
l
!