Removing the word SHORTCUT

August 7, 2004 12:55:38 PM

In 98 I had an option to remove the option of when creating a shortcut it
wouldn't say the word 'shortcut'. For the life of me I can't find that
option in XP. I have TweakUI but I can only find removing the arrow not the
word. Does anyone know where I can find this option in XP?
Thanks, I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

More about : removing word shortcut

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 6:33:47 PM

Hi

Try this:

In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote in message news:umU8X3HfEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In 98 I had an option to remove the option of when creating a shortcut it
> wouldn't say the word 'shortcut'. For the life of me I can't find that
> option in XP. I have TweakUI but I can only find removing the arrow not the
> word. Does anyone know where I can find this option in XP?
> Thanks, I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 6:33:48 PM

Hi, thanks, found it, but it was unchecked. So I checked it rebooted, then
unchecked it, rebooted and now it seems to be working. Thanks alot. Was
driving me crazy!!
Hi

Try this:

In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane
and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote in message
> In 98 I had an option to remove the option of when creating a shortcut it
> wouldn't say the word 'shortcut'. For the life of me I can't find that
> option in XP. I have TweakUI but I can only find removing the arrow not
the
> word. Does anyone know where I can find this option in XP?
> Thanks, I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

August 7, 2004 6:52:01 PM

You're welcome - thanks for the feedback.

--

"Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote in message news:o SI3FTIfEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi, thanks, found it, but it was unchecked. So I checked it rebooted, then
> unchecked it, rebooted and now it seems to be working. Thanks alot. Was
> driving me crazy!!
> Hi
>
> Try this:
>
> In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane
> and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote in message
>> In 98 I had an option to remove the option of when creating a shortcut it
>> wouldn't say the word 'shortcut'. For the life of me I can't find that
>> option in XP. I have TweakUI but I can only find removing the arrow not
> the
>> word. Does anyone know where I can find this option in XP?
>> Thanks, I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:14:26 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Try this:
>
> In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

Or (and this isn't meant to be sarcastic) you could rename the shortcut
to drop the legend "shortcut to". That way when you do want to make it
abundantly clear as on a shared machine, that it is just a shortcut.

--
Harry Broom

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights"

John Paul Getty 1892 - 1976
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 8:54:56 AM

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:33:47 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>Try this:
>
>In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

I'd like to add... make sure you have the latest version of TweakUI
because the first release for XP really didn't do itself justice. The
latest version has lots of improvements.

---Atreju---
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 8:56:05 AM

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 09:45:09 -0400, "Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote:

>Hi, thanks, found it, but it was unchecked. So I checked it rebooted, then
>unchecked it, rebooted and now it seems to be working. Thanks alot. Was
>driving me crazy!!
>"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>Hi
>
>Try this:
>
>In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane
>and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

Yeah, sometimes you have to actually change something back again in
order to effect the registry modification you're loooking for.

---Atreju---
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 1:19:33 PM

I've looked at the microsoft site but I can't find the newest version.
Would you know where it is?
Thanks.
"Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:33:47 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >Try this:
> >
> >In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand
pane and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

> I'd like to add... make sure you have the latest version of TweakUI
> because the first release for XP really didn't do itself justice. The
> latest version has lots of improvements.
>

> ---Atreju---
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 1:59:53 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/... the one you want is on the right hand side "Tweak UI" do NOT download the one for "Itanium".

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote in message news:eB1dapUfEHA.636@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| I've looked at the microsoft site but I can't find the newest version.
| Would you know where it is?
| Thanks.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 2:25:53 PM

If you rename three shortcuts just removing Shortcut To the setting gets turned off. The setting starts at 15 and 5 is removed for each rename. Once it hits 0 Explorer no longer prefixes Shortcut To.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote in message news:o SI3FTIfEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi, thanks, found it, but it was unchecked. So I checked it rebooted, then
> unchecked it, rebooted and now it seems to be working. Thanks alot. Was
> driving me crazy!!
> Hi
>
> Try this:
>
> In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane
> and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote in message
> > In 98 I had an option to remove the option of when creating a shortcut it
> > wouldn't say the word 'shortcut'. For the life of me I can't find that
> > option in XP. I have TweakUI but I can only find removing the arrow not
> the
> > word. Does anyone know where I can find this option in XP?
> > Thanks, I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 10:05:08 PM

Thanks everyone for all your help..problem solved.. :-)
"» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/... the
one you want is on the right hand side "Tweak UI" do NOT download the one
for "Itanium".

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Ruth" <ruth@by4now.com> wrote in message
| I've looked at the microsoft site but I can't find the newest version.
| Would you know where it is?
| Thanks.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 3:29:22 AM

Just remove Shortcut To from 3 shortcuts.

!