Your question

Decent Board? MSI 970A-G46

Tags:
  • MSI-Microstar
  • Chip
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
December 4, 2012 4:38:02 AM

Ok guys, probably getting this board tomorrow.

http://microcenter.com/product/401771/970A-G46_AM3_ATX_...

I'm basically getting this board for almost free. Reason being I had bought an SSD from Microcenter a few months ago, and also bought the 2 year warranty with it. Paid 50 for the SSD. Someone needed me to pick up an FX chip for them as theirs died. Anyway, my chip is an Athlon quad core, eventually I want to pick up an FX 8 core and ram. The person does not need a board as they've got a high end board as it is. But I'm seeing this MSI, because when you buy a chip, if you combo it with a board, you get $40 bucks off. So I'm seeing I'd only be out 35 bucks for it, but if I turn in my faulty SSD to their warranty, then I'm thinking if I do that way, I get money back. So for almost a free board, what do you think?

More about : decent board msi 970a g46

December 7, 2012 12:59:09 AM

I just picked one up to play with my 1090t , hope it's good , looks like a solid board , for the price you paid what's to lose ? Think it's one of the better cheap 970 boards . I paid 59.00 with rebate .
m
l
December 7, 2012 2:55:35 AM

I ended up grabbing. For 35 bucks how can I pass it up? I mean it has SLI and Crossfire capability, supports even the 8 core FX chips. The power phasing could be better, but the price, it looks decent.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2012 10:22:33 PM

power phasing , how will that affect overclocking , if at alll ?
m
l
December 10, 2012 2:52:12 AM

I ended up returning mine and came home with a gigabyte 970a-ud3. It has 8+2 power phasing, I at first wanted the option to sli, but on the 600 series cards you have to go to at least the 660 to sli, so you are spending more than 200 on a card to sli on a 75 dollar board. But the fact nvidia wants you to spend 200 on a card to have options for sli almost takes the value out of sli for me.
m
l
December 10, 2012 7:55:42 PM

I'm returning the board as well , I want to OC big , with this board I'll oc once and fry everything . I'd get Ggabyte but am pissed with them as my 890 fx ud5 did not get a bios upgrade for FX chips , Asus is my choice , at least they update boards , a 5 year ol mn-32 get a bios update for x6 PII , good support for older boards I like . A top of the line board that does not support a new chip 1 year later ??? Never again gigagilligan , they make good boards though .
m
l
December 10, 2012 9:58:40 PM

Wow suprising. I'm running an old Gigabyte AM2 board and running my Athlon quad on it with a bios update. Personally I've good luck with Gigabyte. Oh well, guess since they are probably gonna discontinue socket AM3+ at some point from the way things sound with the moves to trinity we may not have to worry. Hope the Trinity chips end up being good someday. Personally, I'm thinking 8 core, overclock and hold out till they get something at least comparable again.
m
l
October 21, 2013 2:19:28 AM

The MSI 970a-G46 ,,,,three days new and 20 blue screens fond out it is the power fazing tern it off all that URP green stuff is for over seas in the usa we do not need that and awer power supplys can not handle the power loss ,i have a cosor GS 800 gold sertafide power supply one nvida 650 Ti Boost ,8 gigs ddr3 1333 MHz.One 125 gig SSD a AMD FX 6300 8 core ,,,my power supply can handle all 32 gigs ram and a second 650 Ti Boost ,,,so i am using under the amount that the ps can use so blue screening got me ,,,,,then i shutt all the ERP crap down no more blue screens ,,,, not being abel to use the SATA raid gets me also ( to use it i think you have to load the rade drivers from FLoppy ,,,,,,i do not even oun one and never will ,,,,my SSD is not at top preference with out it,,,,o on SSD,s you have to tern of paging file and all ready reed 's and cashing on the disk and never defrag it it will kill it very quick , i over clock up to 4.5 gHZ on my fx and over clock my 650 up to %25 and i run nice and fast ,,,now if i can up date my bios i would be happy lol ( sorry for spelling ,i can put together a nice rig but spelling is for the birds lol)
m
l
March 18, 2014 12:22:36 PM

Colt Nrg said:
The MSI 970a-G46 ,,,,three days new and 20 blue screens fond out it is the power fazing tern it off all that URP green stuff is for over seas in the usa we do not need that and awer power supplys can not handle the power loss ,i have a cosor GS 800 gold sertafide power supply one nvida 650 Ti Boost ,8 gigs ddr3 1333 MHz.One 125 gig SSD a AMD FX 6300 8 core ,,,my power supply can handle all 32 gigs ram and a second 650 Ti Boost ,,,so i am using under the amount that the ps can use so blue screening got me ,,,,,then i shutt all the ERP crap down no more blue screens ,,,, not being abel to use the SATA raid gets me also ( to use it i think you have to load the rade drivers from FLoppy ,,,,,,i do not even oun one and never will ,,,,my SSD is not at top preference with out it,,,,o on SSD,s you have to tern of paging file and all ready reed 's and cashing on the disk and never defrag it it will kill it very quick , i over clock up to 4.5 gHZ on my fx and over clock my 650 up to %25 and i run nice and fast ,,,now if i can up date my bios i would be happy lol ( sorry for spelling ,i can put together a nice rig but spelling is for the birds lol)

I love my msi 970a-g46. it works unbelievably well for the price. overclocking is sweet and easy. got my amd fx 6300 to 4.4ghz @1.44v RAM is running @ 1866 no problems. and 2 msi gtx 480's are beast in this board.

m
l
!