Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I5 2500k or i5 2320

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 1, 2012 5:28:51 AM

hi im planning to buy a pc from cyberpower please no comments about building it myself anyway on cp ill save 64 bucks on the the i5 2320 and since im not considering overclocking i thought i should put that saved money elsewhere heres the configuration

CAS:* Apevia X-Plorer 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window and MultiMeter Display [+17] (Green Color with 200mm UV Green LED Fan [+0])
CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CPU:Intel® Core™ i5-2320 3.0 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [-60]
FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull) [+9])
FREEBIE_VC1:FREE Just Cause 2 Game Coupon [+0]
FREEBIE_VC2:FREE Game Coupon Batman: Arkham City [+0]
HDD:500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-13] (Single Hard Drive)
IUSB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD:Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MEMORY:4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [-25] (Kingston HyperX
MOTHERBOARD:* [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu + Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [+23]
MOUSE:XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
NETWORK:o nboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS:Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY:* 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+83]
RUSH:NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE:STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+230] (EVGA Superclocked [+0
_PRICE:( +1113)

More about : 2500k 2320

a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 6:02:46 AM

1] Do you plan on overclocking?

2] Motherboard is not something I would personally like to try overclock but will run a i5 2320 or 2400 nicely and give you the higher memory bandwidth along with performance on the Z68 platform.

3] 570's are badly priced, far more expensive than the 560Ti and not enough bang to justify it, and they are closer to the 580's price, particularly the superclocked cards. Personally I run a 2500k with 560Ti and game just fine and dandy.

4] Kingston HyperX make a lot of variants, just make sure its the 1.5v or LoVo versions, better yet move over to Corsair Vengeance or GSkill (Snipers are neat)

5] 850W PSU is seriously overkill, a 650w is sufficient for a high end GPU, OC and multiple storage system and have some to spare.

6] liquid cooling = pants, just get a HS/F cooler if you get the 2500K, if you get a 2300/2400 then the stock fan is fine.
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 6:16:50 AM

2450800,2,934661 said:
1] Do you plan on overclocking?

2] Motherboard is not something I would personally like to try overclock but will run a i5 2320 or 2400 nicely and give you the higher memory bandwidth along with performance on the Z68 platform.

3] 570's are badly priced, far more expensive than the 560Ti and not enough bang to justify it, and they are closer to the 580's price, particularly the superclocked cards. Personally I run a 2500k with 560Ti and game just fine and dandy.

4] Kingston HyperX make a lot of variants, just make sure its the 1.5v or LoVo versions, better yet move over to Corsair Vengeance or GSkill (Snipers are neat)

5] 850W PSU is seriously overkill, a 650w is sufficient for a high end GPU, OC and multiple storage system and have some to spare.

6] liquid cooling = pants, just get a HS/F cooler if you get the 2500K, if you get a 2300/2400 then the stock fan is fine.[/quotemsg1

No i don't want to oc so a i5 2320 and a certifed heatsink is good enough I believe I picked a 850 watt psu since I plan to sell my 560/570 card and get NVIDIA keplar
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 6:22:02 AM

I don't think Keplar will need that much power either...you only need it if you're looking at a multi-GPU setup, really.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 6:24:15 AM

Then go with the 2320 or 2400, stock cooler and save cash. Also look at alternative RAM options, not to sure on Kingstons credibiltiy in respect of performance RAM these days. The premiums are also minor at 1600 level.

To be honest if it runs a GTX 560Ti it will likely run a GTX 600 series card which will be more efficient. The draw will be less. If you never want to OC or run a multicard setup then 850w is a case of "a lot ado about nothing"
Share
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 7:32:57 AM

Why going water cooler with a non-overclock CPU?
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
February 1, 2012 7:45:34 AM

more ram, smaller psu, 2500 (non k), stock cooling (or cheap air), and the 560ti448 if you can get one.
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 7:52:07 AM

vitornob said:
Why going water cooler with a non-overclock CPU?


I live in Vegas it gets hot during summer while I'm at work so i turn the act to about 80 when I'm not home so i thought I might need water cooling what psu do you recommend I'm told that 850 watt is overkill should I step down to a 650 watt
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 7:54:30 AM

For a single card, non OC system yes.

Stock fans for stock chips are fine, HS/F are a unnecessary waste of money at this juncture.
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
February 1, 2012 8:02:00 AM

you may only want to consider cheap air hsf for noise reasons, but water will be noisier, and with an ambient 80f, you'll be fine, all those people in the rest of the world manage when summer hits. My idle creeps up 3-4C during summer, but thats all.
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 8:08:39 AM

13thmonkey said:
you may only want to consider cheap air hsf for noise reasons, but water will be noisier, and with an ambient 80f, you'll be fine, all those people in the rest of the world manage when summer hits. My idle creeps up 3-4C during summer, but thats all.


What do you think about getting the i5 2320 since its 64 bucks cheaper than the 2500k from where I'm buying I'm not planning on overclocking and don't care about the onboard graphics just thought i would put that money into getting a NVIDIA 570 or a 60 GB ssd
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
February 1, 2012 8:14:20 AM

what about the 2500 (non k)? if you were a tinkerer or a builder then get whatever and upgrade later, you appear not to be, so bang for buck is where i'm thinking. And if you can save elsewhere then you might be able to get the 2500 at no overall cost.

what are yo uusing it for?
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 9:24:32 AM

13thmonkey said:
what about the 2500 (non k)? if you were a tinkerer or a builder then get whatever and upgrade later, you appear not to be, so bang for buck is where i'm thinking. And if you can save elsewhere then you might be able to get the 2500 at no overall cost.

what are yo uusing it for?


I'm going to be mainly gaming bf3 skyrim at high settings and maybe some YouTube livestreaming of ne playing minecraft the 2500 is only like 10 bucks cheaper than the k version so the i5 2320 is 54 bucks cheaper than the non k 2500 The only difference I see is a marginal .3 mhz
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 9:32:37 AM

Easy peasy weasy

i5 2400, 650W PSU and a GTX 560Ti, save a whole lot of cash
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
February 1, 2012 9:41:06 AM

+1 i'd agree middle ground, what resolution?

BF3 maxes out my quad, and on servers with large numbers of players it becomes more important. On the same sized map I get steady 60fps at 4 players, 45 fps with 30...
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 10:59:33 PM

Best answer selected by peep1988.
m
0
l
!