• Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2011 2:59:09 AM

this is what i bought...
i5 2500k
gigabyte z68 ud3
gskill sniper 2x4gb 1866
corsair pro 750w psu

at the moment trying to use my old gpu 6800gs and old hard drive with win xp and dont have a dvd drive.

is it completely impossible to just put my old hard drive in the new system and expect it to boot win xp?
I tried this and the new bios screen comes up then the windows loading screen comes up and then after a few seconds a blue screen flashes too fast to read anything and it reboots. I fiddled with some mem settings trying to get the mem set at 1866 instead of 1600 with the correct timings and it didnt seem to work as well as trying only one stick. My problem is I dont want to buy a new hdd right now with the prices through the roof on them now...is it impossible to just put in the old hard drive with the old computers settings or could there be a problem with one of my components...

More about : attempt building computer rebooting

a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 3:09:25 AM

Your old xp has a hardware profile it scanned your old system on installion, obviously your new gear differs from that greatly, your best bet is back up what you have on there and reinstall windows
And remember your ram should be at half the advertised speed, i.e. 800MHz setting gives you 1600MHz ram
Moto
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 3:29:18 AM

Yes, if the motherboard chipsets are radically different, you will need to reinstall Windows. If the chipsets are similar, you still may need to reinstall the OS.

My experience has been that reusing an old Win installation works about half the time.
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2011 3:31:32 AM

is there anyway of changimg the hardware profile with the hdd in the old comp and then swich it over?
w/o a second drive to backup my data do i have any options?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 6:29:10 AM

Not that I'm aware of no, maybe some software expert knows a way of finding/re-writing the file but I'm not a software guy sorry
one other way of transferring your photo's/music etc would be save them onto flashdrives or Dvd's, then copy them onto the new pc once you've installed windows, but the easiest way would be a second drive
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 3:18:53 PM

Yep old hdd here for $25. But you're going to need a cd drive unless you have your xp iso image on a flash drive. Sony Black SATA 24X Internal Burner Drive CD DVD RW writer for PC here for $27
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 4:37:20 PM

vladunk said:
is it completely impossible to just put my old hard drive in the new system and expect it to boot win xp?

Yes. Easiest way would be to:

1. Buy a new HD or SSD.
2. Disconnect data cable to old HD.
3. Install Windows to the SSD or HD and do all the updates and driver installs.
4. Connect data cable to old drive. Copy Programs and Data from old to new hard drive....if an SSD decide what ya want where and move / don't move accordingly.
5. Reinstall Programs over themselves.
m
l
November 1, 2011 11:15:02 PM

I have build many systems, or had to replace faulty motherboards in existing machines. My experience is the Windows XP will mesh with a complete change in hardware about one time in 5.

Its really not worth the effort and a fresh load of windows XP is going to perform far better than an old image foreced to recognise twenty or more new devices and find drivers for them.

Building a new PC is an oppurtunity to reload the machine from scratch, get rid of any bloatware and just load the essential to make a clean fast running PC.

If you have the serial numbers for all your products you should have no issues. If you don'y use a tool like magical jellybeans to extract your installation keys.

If you have just made a new PC it is good idea to move up to a modern operating system. Windows 7 is very affordable and will work really well in practically any modern PC
m
l
November 3, 2011 3:39:14 PM

A little update to my predicament...I have managed to backup my data and got a blue ray/dvd drive for my new comp. So I formatted the old hdd and attempted to install win xp fresh on the new rig. It doesn't make it very far before it just freezes. It starts by aproximating 39 min at 35 min left everytime it just freezes. Its while it says its installing new devices. Is installing win the first step or do I need to do something else first? I do have a copy of win 7 that should arrive in bout 3 days. But im hoping to eliminate the possibility one of ny components are bad asap.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2011 4:06:43 PM

Cool, at least your stuff is safe :) 
Installing win is mostly plug and play, with a few user unputs along the way but it should sort itself out, give it a couple more tries, full format and install
but i'm of the opinion that the drives on its way out so don't see the point in re-using it to be honest
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2011 9:58:30 PM

I might have misinterpreted some of what I've read but I have heard that these newer boards don't like the ide connections, I know they come equipped with them but for some reason people are having a hard time using ide for primary drives. I know you said you didn't want to buy a new hdd right now because of the prices but my last post has a link to a used 250 GB $25 hdd (no, not mine lol) that will tell you whether or not that is the issue. Most everything else is new and compatible so it really narrows down the choices.
Don't think it's the problem but have you tried it without the video card and just the on die graphics?
m
l
November 3, 2011 10:19:14 PM

suteck said:
I might have misinterpreted some of what I've read but I have heard that these newer boards don't like the ide connections, I know they come equipped with them but for some reason people are having a hard time using ide for primary drives. I know you said you didn't want to buy a new hdd right now because of the prices but my last post has a link to a used 250 GB $25 hdd (no, not mine lol) that will tell you whether or not that is the issue. Most everything else is new and compatible so it really narrows down the choices.
Don't think it's the problem but have you tried it without the video card and just the on die graphics?

The hdd im using is a sata 1 and I can't try the onboard video with what I have because its an old vga? monitor. My 6800gs has that connecion but mb didnt.

I have read up a bit on the 35 min freeze for win xp and found a few solutions. Not sure if its worth trying them or just wait a few more days till win 7 gets here. Im just hoping all my components are good cause its going on bout a month since I bought some of them
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2011 10:37:28 PM

Might as well try them if you don't have anything else to do. Course you're just going to wipe it when the new one come in. Maybe after all that it's just a small scratch on the xp cd. In that case then the new win 7 should work great.
m
l
!