Zire 72 Moto v551 bluetooth issues

Last response: in Technologies
Share
January 9, 2005 11:08:32 PM

i was able to pair my palm and v551. The palm sent a pic to the phone using
the send feature of my zire's camera software, but at the end the file was
to large for the phone to open. For other files like audio its not as easy
to find
out how to transfer them. As for transfering files from the phone to the
palm (mainly pics) i'm totally clueless.
Any advise?
thanks
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:46:47 AM

PS - it helps if you don't post the same question every other day....

TC

"k" <notokristian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>i was able to pair my palm and v551. The palm sent a pic to the phone using
>the send feature of my zire's camera software, but at the end the file was
>to large for the phone to open. For other files like audio its not as easy
>to find
> out how to transfer them. As for transfering files from the phone to the
> palm (mainly pics) i'm totally clueless.
> Any advise?
> thanks

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:47:00 AM

k Wrote:
> i was able to pair my palm and v551. The palm sent a pic to the phone
> using
> the send feature of my zire's camera software, but at the end the file
> was
> to large for the phone to open. For other files like audio its not as
> easy
> to find
> out how to transfer them. As for transfering files from the phone to
> the
> palm (mainly pics) i'm totally clueless.
> Any advise?
> thanks

Please tell me HOW you got your zire and motorola v551 to pair. I just
got the v551 and haven't figured this out yet. Apparently the driver
for the zire isn't available? If I can get that far, I'd be happy to
compare notes on functionality.

--
wasabi
February 24, 2005 9:12:56 AM

"wasabi" <wasabi.1kxpe2@news.cellbanter.com> wrote in message

SNIP

> Please tell me HOW you got your zire and motorola v551 to pair. I just
> got the v551 and haven't figured this out yet. Apparently the driver
> for the zire isn't available? If I can get that far, I'd be happy to
> compare notes on functionality.
>

> --
> wasabi

I have a Palm T3 and it pairs just fine with the V551. I am able to send and
recieve pics between the two devices and I can use the phone as a bluetooth
"modem" to access email and web sites through my GPRS data connection.

To get the Palm to pair with the V551 you need to make the V551 discoverable
Menu->Settings->Connection->Bluetooth Link->Setup->Find Me. This will make
the V551 discoverable for 60 secs. Then go into the Palm,
Preferences->Connection and either create a new connection or edit an
existing one. In the Device Field you can specify that it look for devices
(tap the Device: field, Select Current Discovery under the Show: field).

You didn't specify what you want to do with the connection, is it just to
transfer files or do you want to make a net connection using the phone?
There are some additional steps if you want to make a net connection but
it's really not all that hard.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:43:24 PM

Tony Clark Wrote:
> I have a Palm T3 and it pairs just fine with the V551. I am able to send
> and
> recieve pics between the two devices and I can use the phone as a
> bluetooth
> "modem" to access email and web sites through my GPRS data connection.
>
> To get the Palm to pair with the V551 you need to make the V551
> discoverable
> Menu-Settings-Connection-Bluetooth Link-Setup-Find Me. This will make
> the V551 discoverable for 60 secs. Then go into the Palm,
> Preferences-Connection and either create a new connection or edit an
> existing one. In the Device Field you can specify that it look for
> devices
> (tap the Device: field, Select Current Discovery under the Show:
> field).
>
> You didn't specify what you want to do with the connection, is it just
> transfer files or do you want to make a net connection using the
> phone?
> There are some additional steps if you want to make a net connection
> but
> it's really not all that hard.
>
> Cheers
> TC

Thanks very much for the response.

I have the Zire 72 using Palm OS5, and I just acquired the Motorola
v551 with GPRS service specifically to use e-mail and net access with
the palm. When trying to set up connection with the phone, I have an
extra step. It asks for the phone model. I downloaded the latest
drivers from palmone and the v551 isn't included. I've also tried
setting up a phone network connection through the bluetooth
configuration and it crashes the handheld. I tried to set up a
Cingular GPRS "network" connection and have yet to connect sucessfully.
The error message says: "Error: modem not found (0x1106)"

I'm at a total loss and feel I've just wasted a boatload of time and
money. Any help would be appreciated.

--
wasabi
Anonymous

wasabi Wrote:
> Thanks very much for the response.
>
> I have the Zire 72 using Palm OS5, and I just acquired the Motorola
> v551 with GPRS service specifically to use e-mail and net access with
> the palm. When trying to set up connection with the phone, I have an
> extra step. It asks for the phone model. I downloaded the latest
> drivers from palmone and the v551 isn't included. I've also tried
> setting up a phone network connection through the bluetooth
> configuration and it crashes the handheld. I tried to set up a
> Cingular GPRS "network" connection and have yet to connect sucessfully.
> The error message says: "Error: modem not found (0x1106)"
>
> I'm at a total loss and feel I've just wasted a boatload of time and
> money. Any help would be appreciated.

Scratch that. Just tried those steps recommended by Tony once more and
it worked. The palm recognizes the phone now. I'm currently attempting
the network connection and have gotten further than ever before, but, am
still not quite there. I think I need a user name and password? I'll
try again. Any advise still appreciated.

--
wasabi
Anonymous

"wasabi" <wasabi.1kzk1r@news.cellbanter.com> wrote in message

>SNIP

> Scratch that. Just tried those steps recommended by Tony once more and
> it worked. The palm recognizes the phone now. I'm currently attempting
> the network connection and have gotten further than ever before, but, am
> still not quite there. I think I need a user name and password? I'll
> try again. Any advise still appreciated.

Yes you will need a username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM and a password CINGULAR1
(all uppercase for user/password).

Check this link for more details
http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/products/pdf/De...

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:56:12 AM

Tony Clark Wrote:
> Yes you will need a username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM and a password
> CINGULAR1
> (all uppercase for user/password).
>
> Check this link for more details
> http://tinyurl.com/4mq8n
>
> Cheers
> TC

TC: Wow, where DID you find that? Doesn't matter, I have it now. A
thousand times - thank you. I've been failing at this for three days.

I'll report back either upon success or having pulled every last hair
from skull. Hopefully, not the latter.

Wish me luck.

--
wasabi
Anonymous

"wasabi" <wasabi.1l1eq1@news.cellbanter.com> wrote in message

> Tony Clark Wrote:
>> Yes you will need a username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM and a password
>> CINGULAR1
>> (all uppercase for user/password).
>>
>> Check this link for more details
>> http://tinyurl.com/4mq8n
>>
>> Cheers
>> TC
>
> TC: Wow, where DID you find that? Doesn't matter, I have it now. A
> thousand times - thank you. I've been failing at this for three days.

SNIP

Google is your friend! LOL Also for Cingular specific information try
alt.cellular.cingular.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 7:36:27 AM

"Alex Eagle" <eagle2@iogen.com> wrote in message
SNIP

> Anyhow, my question for you is, could you post what you're currently using
> for these options? I don't see why the T3 should be much different from
> the Zire 72 for this software either, but obviously PalmOne and Motorola
> don't share my sense of logic. :)
>
> I have some experience writing palm programs and bootstrapping an embedded
> linux system so I feel like this shouldn't be so hard...

Here is what I have configured on my T3.

Under Prefs -> Connection I have a connection called MotoNet (you can call
it whatever you like).

Name: Moto Net
Connect To: Local Network
Via: Bluetooth
Device: Motorola Phone (the default name my V551 gives upon discovery)

Under Prefs -> Network I have a service called Cingular MEdia

Service: Cingular MEdia
User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (all uppercase)
Password: Assigned (CINGULAR1, all uppercase)
Connection: Moto Net

Under Details for this Service I have:

Connection Type: PPP
Idle Timeout: 1 minute
Query DNS: Checked
IP Address: Automatic

Under Script for these Details I have:

Send: ATDT *99#
Send CR:
Wait For: CONNECT
End:

I also have a Connection called MotoV551 that I created. The parameters are:

Name: MotoV551
Connect To: Phone
Via: Bluetooth
Device: Motorola Phone
Model: Standard GSM

Under Preferences -> Phone I use the Connection called MotoV551 for
connection to phone applications.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:00:45 PM

Thanks - but that didn't work either. I found a solution, but it
wouldn't work for everyone, which was to switch phones with a co-worker
who has a V600. With the right connect strings, that worked.

-Alex

Tony Clark wrote:

> "Alex Eagle" <eagle2@iogen.com> wrote in message
> SNIP
>

>>Anyhow, my question for you is, could you post what you're currently using
>>for these options? I don't see why the T3 should be much different from
>>the Zire 72 for this software either, but obviously PalmOne and Motorola
>>don't share my sense of logic. :)
>>
>>I have some experience writing palm programs and bootstrapping an embedded
>>linux system so I feel like this shouldn't be so hard...
>>

> Here is what I have configured on my T3.
>
> Under Prefs -> Connection I have a connection called MotoNet (you can call
> it whatever you like).
>
> Name: Moto Net
> Connect To: Local Network
> Via: Bluetooth
> Device: Motorola Phone (the default name my V551 gives upon discovery)
>
> Under Prefs -> Network I have a service called Cingular MEdia
>
> Service: Cingular MEdia
> User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (all uppercase)
> Password: Assigned (CINGULAR1, all uppercase)
> Connection: Moto Net
>
> Under Details for this Service I have:
>
> Connection Type: PPP
> Idle Timeout: 1 minute
> Query DNS: Checked
> IP Address: Automatic
>
> Under Script for these Details I have:
>
> Send: ATDT *99#
> Send CR:
> Wait For: CONNECT
> End:
>
> I also have a Connection called MotoV551 that I created. The parameters are:
>
> Name: MotoV551
> Connect To: Phone
> Via: Bluetooth
> Device: Motorola Phone
> Model: Standard GSM
>
> Under Preferences -> Phone I use the Connection called MotoV551 for
> connection to phone applications.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers
> TC

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 11:18:36 PM

Tony Clark Wrote:
> I also have a Connection called MotoV551 that I created. The parameters
>
> Name: MotoV551
> Connect To: Phone
> Via: Bluetooth
> Device: Motorola Phone
> Model: Standard GSM
>
> Under Preferences - Phone I use the Connection called MotoV551 for
> connection to phone applications.

AH HA! Some settings are different here than what I've been using.
There is one missing link. I do not have the Standard GSM driver. It
is not with the latest update. A google search turned up a link on
palmone's site to which I do not have access. Would someone mind
sending that to me? Then, I will be able to determine if this is truly
the deal breaking factor.

drive.3.wasabi@xoxy.net

Thanks for all your time and help.

--
wasabi
Anonymous

Getting ever closer.....

Have achieved successful GPRS connection with Zire 72 via network
connection to Motorola v551. The zire and the v551 both show data
being transmitted. However, using a demo version of WebPro, I cannot
actually load any pages.

Error message from zire
"Communications error. Please check coverage, check URL, and try again.
[Comm. 1]"

I've tried loading Google and the home page preset from WebPro. If
this is a browser problem, I'm open to suggestions for a better Palm OS
5 compatible browser.

Though it could still be that driver issue.. (nag, nag). ;^)

--
wasabi
Anonymous

"wasabi" <wasabi.1lede5@news.cellbanter.com> wrote in message

> Getting ever closer.....
>
> Have achieved successful GPRS connection with Zire 72 via network
> connection to Motorola v551. The zire and the v551 both show data
> being transmitted. However, using a demo version of WebPro, I cannot
> actually load any pages.
>
> Error message from zire
> "Communications error. Please check coverage, check URL, and try again.
> [Comm. 1]"
>
> I've tried loading Google and the home page preset from WebPro. If
> this is a browser problem, I'm open to suggestions for a better Palm OS
> 5 compatible browser.
>
> Though it could still be that driver issue.. (nag, nag). ;^)
>

> --

How do you have Web Pro set up? Are you using the Proxy Server or not? I am
able to connect to Google with no problems NOT using the proxy server. This
can be set under Options -> Preferences and select the Advanced Tab. It's a
check box and make sure it's unchecked. I'll see if I can find the Standard
GSM driver, although it may not work with the Zire Bluetooth implementation.
I always thought BT was the same on all Palms with Palm OS 5.x but I have
found that it's not.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:42:56 PM

Tony Clark Wrote:
> How do you have Web Pro set up? Are you using the Proxy Server or not? I
> am
> able to connect to Google with no problems NOT using the proxy server.
> This
> can be set under Options - Preferences and select the Advanced Tab.
> It's a
> check box and make sure it's unchecked. I'll see if I can find the
> Standard
> GSM driver, although it may not work with the Zire Bluetooth
> implementation.
> I always thought BT was the same on all Palms with Palm OS 5.x but I
> have
> found that it's not.
>
> Cheers
> TC

Thanks for the info, TC. I did have that turned on. However, over the
weekend I shuffled a few things around trying to get it all to work. I
have everthing back to your recommendations, but, now cannot recreate
the previous success with logging on. I don't know what I did, it
doesn't have my phone in the "Known Devices" list anymore. Once I get
it to recognize the v551 again, I'll post whether or not this was the
missing link.

--
wasabi
!